Author Topic: Smoking ban for public housing  (Read 1739 times)

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
Smoking ban for public housing
« on: December 13, 2010, 04:50:00 AM »
I great idea which will probably never fly. If they can afford to buy cigarettes, that money should first go to paying rent.

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2010/12/09/hln.your.views.public.housing.hln
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Smoking ban for public housing
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 06:19:13 AM »
People have been made addicts though and so if this goes into effect they will have to be able to have access to nicotine inhalers like e-cigs or an alternative like nicotine patches.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 06:56:17 AM »
At close to 10 dollars a pack here in New York I don't see how some of the low income people continue smoking...
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 07:55:06 AM »
At close to 10 dollars a pack here in New York I don't see how some of the low income people continue smoking...

The just go to NJ or a different state to stock up. They could order on-line, get duty free, or roll their own.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 06:13:39 PM »

The just go to NJ or a different state to stock up. They could order on-line, get duty free, or roll their own.

Why even bother when the tax payer is going to pick up the tab? Not that I condone smokers, but it is the working class and the smarter ones who trips to Delaware or an Indian reservation to stock up.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »
This is very successful in Ireland.
Now the dirty smokers have to go out in the cold to smoke.  :::D
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 06:37:50 PM »

Why even bother when the tax payer is going to pick up the tab? Not that I condone smokers, but it is the working class and the smarter ones who trips to Delaware or an Indian reservation to stock up.
Mayor Bloomberg is very upset about people avoiding his cigarette tax... He is working very hard to put the Indians out of business and tax the internet purchases.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline TheViper

• Senior JTFer
  • HOLA MI GENTE!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 06:41:39 PM »

Mayor Bloomberg is very upset about people avoiding his cigarette tax... He is working very hard to put the Indians out of business and tax the internet purchases.

Obama has already some of that already
☞I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do best isn't very nice☜

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 05:48:48 AM »

Giving that I hate the cigarette industry, I'm still opposed to the government levying ridiculous taxes. Even though these are taxes on something evil, they set the precedent to levy outrageously high on other things such as European taxes on fuel. While I'm for a consumption tax, there is no reason taxes on anything should be more than a quarter of what the product or service is worth, not to mention more than what the product is worth.
   Given that the money does need to be collected, I would prefer to see it collected through the enforcement of crimes against smokers. If someone smokes in a public place, slap them with a fine. If someone throws a cigarette out of a car, pull them over and give them a ticket. While I believe people should have the right to smoke in their own homes(given that the homes are their's and not the government's), they should be charged with child abuse if they expose children to second hand smoke.
   Also, make people have to register as smokers to purchase cigarettes. This information should be available for health insurance companies to calculate risk. Registered smokers should not be eligible for government benefits when they get lung cancer because they made the choice to smoke.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 04:54:27 PM »

Giving that I hate the cigarette industry, I'm still opposed to the government levying ridiculous taxes. Even though these are taxes on something evil, they set the precedent to levy outrageously high on other things such as European taxes on fuel. While I'm for a consumption tax, there is no reason taxes on anything should be more than a quarter of what the product or service is worth, not to mention more than what the product is worth.
   Given that the money does need to be collected, I would prefer to see it collected through the enforcement of crimes against smokers. If someone smokes in a public place, slap them with a fine. If someone throws a cigarette out of a car, pull them over and give them a ticket. While I believe people should have the right to smoke in their own homes(given that the homes are their's and not the government's), they should be charged with child abuse if they expose children to second hand smoke.
   Also, make people have to register as smokers to purchase cigarettes. This information should be available for health insurance companies to calculate risk. Registered smokers should not be eligible for government benefits when they get lung cancer because they made the choice to smoke.
It would be more logical to make cigarettes illegal than to go through all of that.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 05:58:46 PM »

It would be more logical to make cigarettes illegal than to go through all of that.

I'm conservative but do have a libertarian side to me. I don't think big brother should be dictating everything, but if someone wants to destroy their body, at least they should be considerate to others in doing so. If we make smoking outright illegal, people are going to grow it illegally anyway and less safe cigarettes are going to become a business for organized crime. Of course the consumption tax goes completely down the drain and the government has to raise income tax to make up for it. Enforcement will be almost null and the people who follow the law will have less rights than the people who break it.
   The left is always screaming about rights for scum, but then do nothing to demand responsibility for these rights. If someone is going to smoke, they should be the ones responsible for their medical bills later on.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 07:16:32 PM »
It's a delicate issue as we all pick up the tab for smokers when they suffer from coronary and lung disease at an early age.  Maybe making them illegal is the right step?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 07:35:14 PM »

I'm conservative but do have a libertarian side to me. I don't think big brother should be dictating everything, but if someone wants to destroy their body, at least they should be considerate to others in doing so. If we make smoking outright illegal, people are going to grow it illegally anyway and less safe cigarettes are going to become a business for organized crime. Of course the consumption tax goes completely down the drain and the government has to raise income tax to make up for it. Enforcement will be almost null and the people who follow the law will have less rights than the people who break it.
   The left is always screaming about rights for scum, but then do nothing to demand responsibility for these rights. If someone is going to smoke, they should be the ones responsible for their medical bills later on.
Think of the legal fees for people caught selling it illegally..... If cigarettes are allowed then drugs should be also. The age of consent should be lowered, prostitution should be legalized, and the blood alcohol level should be allowed to reach a higher level..... I mean if they allow one harmful substance to be legal, then why not relax on less harmful substances?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 07:36:38 PM »
Those aren't my views. They are simply examples.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
Think of the legal fees for people caught selling it illegally..... If cigarettes are allowed then drugs should be also. The age of consent should be lowered, prostitution should be legalized, and the blood alcohol level should be allowed to reach a higher level..... I mean if they allow one harmful substance to be legal, then why not relax on less harmful substances?

My personal problem is not that people use these substances that they should not be using. My problem is the way they use it in public. If someone is going to smoke something in the comfort of their own home and I'm not going to have to smell the fumes walking by, it is their business. As soon as they start smoking it in my face and start littering, that is when I have a problem.
   To me the difference between tobacco and Marijuana is that Marijuana has a stronger and nastier smell. Of course people who smoke it do stupid things, but the question is whether the Marijuana makes them stupid or if they smoke it because they are stupid. Probably a combination of both.
   I also have a problem when people expose it to their kids. It is a form of child abuse.  I'll continue saying that big brother shouldn't be controlling people's rights to use drugs, however, the government should hold these people responsible for their actions if they choose to do what's wrong.

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 07:56:58 PM »

It is actually quite easy. They walk into a supermarket and go up to a person and tell them that they have $50 worth of food stamps on their independence card. They offer the card to the person if the person gives them $25 cash.  They sell their food stamps for the cash and use the cash to buy liquor, cigs, drugs, and other things not covered under the food stamp programs. I have been approach by blacks on numerous occasions offering to sell their food stamps to me. I am have never purchased them of course.

I think the no smoking in public housing is a great idea! The people in public housing are basically wards of the state. If they do not want to follow the rules of the state then they should get out of public housing and pay their own rent. This gives people incentive to work. Public housing should not be pleasant.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 11:45:10 PM »
I have rented apts where my neighbors smoked and it goes thru the walls.

So glad i have my own house, now. So glad.

My personal problem is not that people use these substances that they should not be using. My problem is the way they use it in public. If someone is going to smoke something in the comfort of their own home and I'm not going to have to smell the fumes walking by, it is their business. As soon as they start smoking it in my face and start littering, that is when I have a problem.
   To me the difference between tobacco and Marijuana is that Marijuana has a stronger and nastier smell. Of course people who smoke it do stupid things, but the question is whether the Marijuana makes them stupid or if they smoke it because they are stupid. Probably a combination of both.
   I also have a problem when people expose it to their kids. It is a form of child abuse.  I'll continue saying that big brother shouldn't be controlling people's rights to use drugs, however, the government should hold these people responsible for their actions if they choose to do what's wrong.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 11:54:41 PM »
I have rented apts where my neighbors smoked and it goes thru the walls.

So glad i have my own house, now. So glad.

Very good... It is great to not have such close neighbors.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14