Author Topic: Just found out my dog, Cookie, has a week to live  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Just found out my dog, Cookie, has a week to live
« on: December 20, 2010, 02:18:27 PM »
It hasn't really hit me yet...but  :'(
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
Re: Just found out my dog, Cookie, has a week to live
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 02:34:39 PM »
Dr. Dan I share your pain. My dog that I had for 14 years passed away this year.  :'(
I think you should record the last days with your dog on camera so you won't forget him/her. It cheers me up to watch them of hr sometimes.
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 02:49:53 PM »
Dr. Dan I share your pain. My dog that I had for 14 years passed away this year.  :'(
I think you should record the last days with your dog on camera so you won't forget him/her. It cheers me up to watch them of hr sometimes.

Just found out it was nystigmus, of which I have no clue what that is.  My brother is watching her so he'll give me a heads up.  I do have a youtube video of her that I have posted in the past..I'll post it here....

If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »
Sorry Dr. Dan, it can a very difficult experience to lose a beloved dog, I wish you comfort through the pain.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 03:32:36 PM »
You should spend time with your pet... I am trying to spend as much time with my elderly cat who I think may not last very much longer...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 04:33:50 PM »
Pray to God that she get's eternal life.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 04:41:05 PM »
Pray to G-d that she get's eternal life.

I understand the sentiment, and as a lifelong pet owner I feel that way from time to time... But Jewish thought is that only Humans have an eternal soul... Animals do not possess the divine soul which Hashem breathes into the human when life begins...

I know this may spark some debate but I have come to accept this... And I also harbor the belief that Gilguls can occupy animal bodies...

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/215,273/Can-an-animal-have-a-human-soul.html
Can an animal have a human soul?

Not exactly, but there is a concept of "Gilgul". It is possible that the soul of a human being comes down to this world in the body of an animal in order to reach its perfection. The animal is driven by a standard animal soul, and the human soul is imprisoned within it, with very little opportunity to express itself. When the animal dies, it is not the soul of the animal that goes to heaven, but rather the soul of the human being that was in the animal.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 04:52:53 PM »
meh.  It doesn't really matter because animals aren't evil nor do they sin.  Animals aren't righteous either.  They don't have free will.

Animals and pets are here on earth for us humans to be soothed by them.   Animals and pets are on this earth for us to take care of them.
And it's ok.  Everything and everybody dies.  Human beings go to their domain and animals will go to their's whatever it might be.

Pray to G-d that she get's eternal life.

I understand the sentiment, and as a lifelong pet owner I feel that way from time to time... But Jewish thought is that only Humans have an eternal soul... Animals do not possess the divine soul which Hashem breathes into the human when life begins...

I know this may spark some debate but I have come to accept this... And I also harbor the belief that Gilguls can occupy animal bodies...

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/215,273/Can-an-animal-have-a-human-soul.html
Can an animal have a human soul?

Not exactly, but there is a concept of "Gilgul". It is possible that the soul of a human being comes down to this world in the body of an animal in order to reach its perfection. The animal is driven by a standard animal soul, and the human soul is imprisoned within it, with very little opportunity to express itself. When the animal dies, it is not the soul of the animal that goes to heaven, but rather the soul of the human being that was in the animal.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 05:05:20 PM »
Some of my cats had very obvious souls and others had less obvious traits which could be called a soul. I miss every one of my cats { I have had approximately 10 indoor cats over 20 years }...

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 07:34:58 PM »
We are so sorry to hear this Dr. Dan.
We have watched the videos of Cookie many times.
We just love her.  She is so smart.
We will be praying for her and for you.
Bullcat and Bullcat jr.

Bullcat jr. just lost her hamster, named Pudding.
She know you must be feeling very sad.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 07:41:01 PM »
Muman: Is there an actual Torah verse that says that?

Dr. Dan: I am extremely sorry. Please provide more details. Nystagmus is a symptom, not a disease unto itself.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:57:12 PM by Dr. Brennan Fan »

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »
I saw the youtube videos - Cookie is a wonderful dog - you are very lucky that she was a part of your life. I am a life-long dog owner and can really understand what you are going through. So sorry to hear about this imminent loss...
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 08:03:59 PM »

Dr. Dan: I am extremely sorry. Please provide more details. Nystagmus is a symptom, not a disease unto itself.

I don't know what you are asking? Are you interested in whether the Torah discusses Gilgul? Or whether animals have souls?

Clarify your question and I will attempt to answer your question...

Here is a little discussion of the Jewish concept of Gilgul {and it discusses Gilgul as a dog}..

http://www.hasidicstories.com/Articles/Themes_In_Hasidic_Stories/nigal_2transf.html

http://www.chabad.org/kabbalah/article_cdo/aid/380816/jewish/2nd-Gilgul-Is-Like-1st-41.htm

Aish.com recently had an article on this concept @ http://www.aish.com/atr/84011177.html & http://www.aish.com/jl/l/a/48943926.html
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:09:11 PM by muman613 »

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 08:10:57 PM »
OK what I meant is what Torah verse states that there is no eternal component to animals. The Tanach implies otherwise (Isaiah 65:25). Doesn't that refer to the world to come?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 08:38:48 PM »
OK what I meant is what Torah verse states that there is no eternal component to animals. The Tanach implies otherwise (Isaiah 65:25). Doesn't that refer to the world to come?

Here is Isaiah 65:25... It indeed is the vision of the messianic times, when the preditor and the prey will live in peace. I have never heard that this involves gan eden {heaven} for the animals.

25. A wolf and a lamb shall graze together, and a lion, like cattle, shall eat straw, and a serpent-dust shall be his food; they shall neither harm nor destroy on all My holy mount," says the Lord.

Though it appears a Rabbi at Chabad has the same opinion as you expressed:

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/277,1981331/Pet-Afterlife.html

Question:

My dog, who was a part of my life since my 9th birthday, has just died. He was sixteen years old and he brought so much happiness to my family. I am so sad but I thank G-d for all those years of happiness we had together. What happens to his soul now? Who’s taking care of him?

Answer:

I am sorry to hear about your loss, and at the same time I am very impressed with your positive attitude and memories of the past.

A soul is a spiritual force/energy that sustains the body. When it departs the body it goes back to its original source of spiritual energy. Thus after death the totality of the animal is at rest, as the body lies in peace, and the soul is reunited with its source.

You can continue his good effects by keeping the family happy and bringing happiness to others. You can also pray for the day when Moshiach will come and the “wolf will lay with lamb” – all animals, and all people, will get along in peace and harmony.

But the Rabbi at Ohr Sameach states similar to my understanding here @ http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/235/Q2/

John D. Stone wrote:

Dear Rabbi,

Someone tried to take our dog from our locked and alarmed car in a supermarket parking lot. She escaped and valiantly searched for her home for a week. I was five minutes from getting her at the latest sighting. Before I could get there she was hit and killed by a car. I know my life was blessed greatly by having Peggy as a companion for 61 months. I feel so helpless now, not only that she is gone, but that her last week searching for me was filled with hardship - longing for me and her home, suffering 12 degree (F) nights, snow and rain. She was the epitome of unconditional love, and this has taught me a great deal. Please advise me what will happen to Peggy and will we be reunited eventually?

Dear John D. Stone,

Your sorrow is evident from your message. The Torah commands many laws of mercy and kindness towards animals to nurture this virtuous feeling of compassion. For example, you may not eat a meal before feeding your animal, as this is an act of neglect and cruelty. The Torah also teaches us to have gratitude towards animals

However, animals lack a neshamah (a certain level of soul) so they have no afterlife existence. At death their ruach (a lower level of soul) expires.

By the great lesson of sincerity which Peggy has taught you, I think she has fulfilled her purpose of creation, if only we could apply this virtue in our own lives toward our fellow humans.

Sources:

* Shemot 22:30 and Rashi
    * Ecclesiastes 3:21

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 08:44:44 PM »
Nystagmus is a sympton of neurological disease.  It's a cranial nerve palsy.  What's wrong with your cat?  This is a sx. that is not fatal unto itself.  I am sorry about the news though.  Animals are wonderful.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 08:47:45 PM »
After doing a little more research it seems that there is the belief that animals do indeed have a soul, but not on the same level as the human soul..

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/3194/jewish/What-is-a-Soul.htm

Everything Has a Soul

In truth, not just the human being, but also every created entity possesses a "soul." Animals have souls, as do plants and even inanimate objects; every blade of grass has a soul, and every grain of sand. Not only life, but also existence requires a soul to sustain it--a "spark of G-dliness" that perpetually imbues its object with being and significance. A soul is not just the engine of life; it also embodies the why of a thing's existence, it's meaning and purpose. It is a thing's "inner identity, it's raison d'être. Just like the 'soul' of a musical composition is the composer's vision that energizes and gives life to the notes played in a musical composition--the actual notes are like the body expressing the vision and feeling of the soul within them. Each soul is the expression of G-d's intent and vision in creating that particular being."1

Five Levels

But it is the human soul that is both the most complex and the most lofty of souls. Our sages have said: "She is called by five names: Nefesh (soul), Ruach (spirit), Neshamah (breath), Chayah (life) and Yechidah (singularity)."2 The Chassidic masters explain that the soul's five "names" actually describe five levels or dimensions of the soul. Nefesh is the soul as the engine of physical life. Ruach is the emotional self and "personality." Neshamah is the intellectual self. Chayah is the supra-rational self--the seat of will, desire, commitment and faith. Yechidah connotes the essence of the soul--its unity with its source, the singular essence of G-d. For the essence of the soul of man is "literally a part of G-d above"3--a piece of G-d in us, so to speak.

So I must admit the topic is not as clear cut as I initially stated. But what I believe is that the godly soul is special and the animal soul is common. Only humans have the image of G-d {Btzelem Elokim} and thus this is why we go to Gan Eden/Heaven. An animal has it's animal soul which according to our beliefs doesn't have free will, and thus cannot be rewarded or punished. Most animals do what they do without knowing right or wrong..

Choice

The Divine essence of the human soul is what sets the human being above and apart from all other creations, even the angels. The angel may be more spiritual, but the human being is more G-dly. No creation can possess true freedom of choice--a creation, by definition, has and consists of only what its creator has imparted to it; this is its "nature," and its every inclination and action will be dictated by that nature. It is only in the human soul that the Creator imparted of His own essence. The human soul is thus the only truly "supra-natural" being (aside from the Creator)--a being that is not limited by its own nature. A being that can transcend itself; a being that can choose to not merely react to its environment, but to act upon it; a being whose choices and actions are therefore of true significance.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 08:48:48 PM »
Dr. Dan I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.  Losing a pet can be very traumatic. 

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 08:56:21 PM »
Muman: Again what is your very own, personal opinion on the matter? I already told you what I think Tanach implies pretty clearly but I admit there is no actual verse that says animals will go to heaven, hell, or somewhere else.

Dr. Dan: Please try to get an exact diagnosis, as nystagmus by itself is merely a symptom of an underlying neurological problem as JTFE mentioned.

Lisa: You are absolutely right. A beloved pet is exactly like an immediate family member.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 09:01:45 PM »
Muman: Again what is your very own, personal opinion on the matter? I already told you what I think Tanach implies pretty clearly but I admit there is no actual verse that says animals will go to heaven, hell, or somewhere else.

Dr. Dan: Please try to get an exact diagnosis, as nystagmus by itself is merely a symptom of an underlying neurological problem as JTFE mentioned.

Lisa: You are absolutely right. A beloved pet is exactly like an immediate family member.

I said in my initial response that I don't believe that most animal souls go to heaven. Only those special animals which possess a human soul which has been sent back into this world as a Gilgul {reincarnation}.

Several of my cats have possessed this special soul, though I also have had cats which seemed to be distant and difficult to feel close to.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 09:07:49 PM »
I actually discussed this to some degree with a friend of mine last week. It makes a certain amount of sense that to have eternal destiny, an animal ought to possess free will. However, I think some animals (the higher mammals primarily) do to some degree. Most animals from at least cats and dogs on up, especially if socialized well, know what they aren't supposed to do in their living circumstances and many times they see what they can get away with anyway. The human-animal relationship might seem unnatural but our pets merely see us as their leader, or alpha, the head of their pack. Therefore they are "supposed" to not do wrong. Of course, they still don't have the same kind of clear, rational thought as humans.

On the other hand, whether or not they do anything good or bad at all, all animals are the completely innocent victims of the fall of Adam. They suffer the curse of sin even though they never chose it at all.

In the end I strongly lean towards thinking that animals will receive comfort in the World to Come.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 09:39:22 PM »
Dr. Dan I am sorry life is painful for you right now.  I love my pets very much [2 cats], and I have lost many pets in the past [several dogs and a cat]; I am sure what you are going through and feeling must be very difficult.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 09:48:45 PM »
This is indeed sad news... I remember the great video with Cookie where she just about talks...
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 09:52:57 PM »

Sorry about Cookie being ill Dr Dan, it's heartbreaking.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 09:55:05 PM »

One of my brothers is holding cookie.  All I heard from my secretaries was that she peed all over herself last night.  I asked my brother who was watching her and he said she had "nystigmus".  My other brother who saw her said that she was "very sick and has a few weeks to live possibly."  Awhile back a vet said cookie had lymphoma.