Author Topic: What do Sephardic Jews think of Gefilte fish?  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
What do Sephardic Jews think of Gefilte fish?
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:34:20 PM »
I've asked one of my Sephardi friends what he thought, and he said, "its good, but difficult to digest"...

As a whole I wonder what Sephardi Jews think of Ashkenazi Jews food.  From my knowledge, Ashkenazi Jews seem to like Sephardi foods [hummus, cous cous, baba ganoush, etc.].  I myself cook mostly Sephardic recipes as opposed to Ashkenazi recipes... I spent a lot more time making Sufganiyot over Latke this Chanukah.

?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:55:03 PM by Ari Ben-Canaan »
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
Re: What do Sephardic Jews think of Gefilte fish?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 07:39:36 PM »
I've asked one of my Sephardi friends what he thought, and he said, "its good, but difficult to digest"...

As a whole I wonder what Sephardi Jews think of Ashkenazi Jews.  From my knowledge, Ashkenazi Jews seem to like Sephardi foods [hummus, cous cous, baba ganoush, etc.].  I myself cook mostly Sephardic recipes as opposed to Ashkenazi recipes... I spent a lot more time making Sufganiyot over Latke this Chanukah.

?

Hey! Stay away from MY damn gefilte fish!  >:(

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:42:28 PM »
What do they think of our Cholent? That is what I want to know..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 07:45:59 PM »
I like cholent.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 07:47:02 PM »
I like cholent.

Very good... It is one of my favorite Shabbat meals... I am collecting a bunch of good Cholent recipes...

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/484250/jewish/What-is-Cholent.htm
What is Cholent?

By Naftali Silberberg

Cholent is a culinary delight enjoyed by Jews of all backgrounds on Shabbat afternoon. In Ashkenazi circles it is called "Cholent," while Sephardic Jews refer to this dish as "Chameen" ("the hot dish").

This stewed dish is served hot on Shabbat afternoon, and since it is forbidden to cook or warm up food on Shabbat, the cholent sits on the stove-top (or in a crock pot) from before sundown Friday evening.

The ingredients of this dish vary depending on your ancestry. The Ashkenazi cholent normally consists of beans, barley, potatoes and meat. (There are those who specialize in making a delicious vegetarian cholent). The Mid-Eastern variety is much spicier and often contains rice, chickpeas, and sometimes dumplings.

PS: Im of Ashkenazic background and I have always loved Gefilte Fish with Horseradish sauce... Indeed it is a taste which requires getting used to... It is amazing that I like it considering that I don't like fish in general...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 07:59:58 PM »
For some reason, my first response didn't go through. 

I think the gefilte fish from the bottles is OK, as long as it doesn't contain any sugar. 

My sister's Ashkenazic mother in law always makes gefilte fish from scratch for my sister's Passover Seders.  My sister always serves it as an appetizer.  Whenever I've been there for Passover, I've always thought to myself "Dorothy, you really shouldn't have.

As for the differences between Sephardic and Ashkenazic Jews, I'm somewhat of an expert on this topic, since my family is Iranian Jewish.  A lot of Iranian Jews are WAY more tribal than their Ashkenazic counterparts. 

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 08:50:39 PM »
I'm ashkenazi descent but my friend who is kordi used to always poke fun at the gefilte fish - that was the stereotypical food that epitomizes the "ashkenazi recipe" which is foreign to sephardim.   We used to joke around about gefilte fish all the time.   Personally I don't like it so much, I usually eat it only in small amounts and only when its from a loaf or homemade - I can't stand the nasty jelly stuff that it sits in in the jar.   Wow!   

As far as sufganiyot vs. latkes, to each his own I guess, but man, come on.  Latkes are ridiculously good.    I don't really like donuts.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 09:14:23 PM »
Quote from: muman613
. . . .   PS: Im of Ashkenazic background and I have always loved Gefilte Fish with Horseradish sauce... Indeed it is a taste which requires getting used to... It is amazing that I like it considering that I don't like fish in general...

That's so funny.... I'm the same exact way.  That is (to repeat), I don't go near fish, but I love Gefilte Fish with Horseradish ("chrain" (sp?)) on it! 

I also love cholent.

Obviously, I'm Ashkenazi.  And, unfortunately, I don't enjoy Sephardic foods.  And, unfortunately, our tastes in food dictate to us -- we don't dictate to our tastes.  How can you "develop a taste" for something that is vile-tasting to you?  People say, "You have to develop a taste!"  So how long am I supposed to keep throwing up before I develop that taste?  Cheese nauseates me also.  The smell drives me out of the room.  But I wish I loved eating it. 

Let me just eat my mother's Jewish cooking for the rest of my life.  That's all I'll ever need!

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:42:20 PM »
I don't really like most Ashkenazi food, gefilte fish looks like floating turds to me, no offense...

Matzo ball soup is good though

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »
It tastes great with horseraddish.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 09:43:57 PM »
Blech
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 09:45:05 PM »
I don't really like most Ashkenazi food, gefilte fish looks like floating turds to me, no offense...

Matzo ball soup is good though
That's funny to read... because one might consider a matzoh ball to be a floating turd also... but since you like it, you don't see it that way.  

Do you like tootsie rolls, by any chance?

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 12:28:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Educational and humorous!  :dance:

I've never had horseradish sauce w/ my gefilte, but I think I would like it since I eat it with shug [speaking of shug; shug, hummus, and chicken is a staple for me... wow I am hungry!].
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 12:36:10 AM »
It tastes great with horseraddish.

definitely, especially the really powerful horseradish

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 07:20:18 AM »
I'm Askenazi i don't like Gefilte fish my mother used to make me salmon baked.When i had a friend from Morocco Jewish i  ate over on Shabbos they said cous cous is their cholent
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 07:27:25 AM »
Well they have never caused a warso they cant be that bad 
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 09:31:22 AM »

They'd better like our Gefilte fish, or they'll be hearing from me !

Offline Super Genius

• New JTFer
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 09:56:34 AM »
I am in love with any form of prepared fishes.Especially gefilte fish on Passover with a carrot on top.

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 10:25:19 AM »

I hope it tastes good because it looks...well, yuck!
What is that stuff anyway?
And why does it not look fish-like?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 12:58:29 PM »

I hope it tastes good because it looks...well, yuck!
What is that stuff anyway?
And why does it not look fish-like?

It literary means stuffed fish. It is made of a grind fish (carp usually) and seasoning. which is then either made into balls or stuffed back into a fish skin.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 01:13:16 PM »

While I don't hate it, Gefilte fish really doesn't do it for me, it's just bland, and the texture is bleh.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 02:08:55 PM »

So its a Hebrew word?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 02:18:28 PM »
No its Yiddish.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 02:54:36 PM »
OY GEFILT!

Offline Nekama

• Full JTFer
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 03:42:08 PM »
I am Ashkenazie and I like gefilta fish but I savor genuine sephardi food whenever I am fortunate to have it.