Author Topic: What does the Hebrew word "Oyom" mean in English?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
What does the Hebrew word "Oyom" mean in English?
« on: January 07, 2011, 01:18:55 AM »
I just got a new HaMotzi  board.  It says, "Kavod Shabbat Oyom Tov".  Is "Oyom" some sort of version of "Yom" [day]?  What the board says would make sense to me then...  I tried Googling it and using the 4Torah search engine but could not come up with a clear meaning.  I did see another phrase which I am curious about, which contained the word Oyom, but it did not help me out in what I want to know.

"Noroh ve'oyom"

If anyone knows what this phrase means in English I would enjoy knowing that too [my guess is "light and day"?].

Todah 8)  
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: What does the Hebrew word "Oyom" mean in English?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 03:11:04 AM »
It means O (או = or) Yom (יום=day). I don't know why they concatenated the two words, it is not done so in Hebrew.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 05:23:56 AM »
It means O (או = or) Yom (יום=day). I don't know why they concatenated the two words, it is not done so in Hebrew.

Thanks Zelhar!

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 06:08:54 AM »
Probably they men hayom or of the day
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 08:39:43 AM »
Probably they men hayom or of the day

It seems like the board is saying that is good to use on a "Glorious Shabbat, or on a Yom Tov"?

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 09:01:43 AM »
That's right.