Author Topic: The Law : Parasha Mishpatim  (Read 1737 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
The Law : Parasha Mishpatim
« on: January 28, 2011, 12:45:21 PM »
This Shabbat we read Parasha Mishpatim. This is my Bar Mitzvah portion and every year I learn a little something new from it.

Rabbi Schafier explains Rashis comment concerning the law of treif, a limb torn from an animal which was not slaughtered according to Jewish ritual. The Torah says that an animal which dies in the field cannot be eaten by a Jew and it must be thrown to the dogs. Rashi explains that Hashem wants to reward the dogs for the dogs did not bark on the evening the Jews left Egypt. The Rabbi discusses the concept of 'Free Will' and Hashems system of reward and justice.

Shemot 22:30
30. And you shall be holy people to Me, and flesh torn in the field you shall not eat; you shall throw it to the dog(s).

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:51:16 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: The Law : Parasha Mishpatim
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »
I also find these mitzvot to be very good. It seems to be Hashem wants us to be merciful and kind to our brothers and our family. This is why Hashem gave us the following commands as Mishpatim/Ordinances...

Shemot 22:20-26
20. And you shall not mistreat a stranger, nor shall you oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.
21. You shall not oppress any widow or orphan.
22. If you oppress him, [beware,] for if he cries out to Me, I will surely hear his cry.
23. My wrath will be kindled, and I will slay you with the sword, and your wives will be widows and your children orphans.
24. When you lend money to My people, to the poor person [who is] with you, you shall not behave toward him as a lender; you shall not impose interest upon him.
25. If you take your neighbor's garment as security, until sunset you shall return it to him,
26. for it is his only covering; it is his garment for his skin. With what shall he lie? And it shall be [that] if he cries out to Me, I will hear because I am gracious.

Shemot 23:1-9
1. You shall not accept a false report; do not place your hand with a wicked person to be a false witness.
2. You shall not follow the majority for evil, and you shall not respond concerning a lawsuit to follow many to pervert [justice].
3. Neither shall you glorify a poor man in his lawsuit.
4. If you come upon your enemy's bull or his stray donkey, you shall surely return it to him.
5. If you see your enemy's donkey lying under its burden would you refrain from helping him? You shall surely help along with him.
6. You shall not pervert the judgment of your poor man in his lawsuit.
7. Distance yourself from a false matter; and do not kill a truly innocent person or one who has been declared innocent, for I will not vindicate a guilty person.
8. You shall not accept a bribe, for a bribe will blind the clear sighted and corrupt words that are right.
9. And you shall not oppress a stranger, for you know the feelings of the stranger, since you were strangers in the land of Egypt.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14