Author Topic: SHABBOS?  (Read 1475 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
SHABBOS?
« on: January 28, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »
The forum is still open during Shabbos in NY? I am in CA... Someone forgot?
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: SHABBOS?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 05:15:21 PM »

Chaim said that it would be open for technical reasons for a few weeks but will go back to normal soon.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »
I guess it's shabbos now.  It looks dark out.  I was thinking maybe there was some special event that allowed the forum to be open.   Oh well peace to you all.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 07:36:10 PM »
Just don't go on during Shabbat--no problem!  :)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 07:37:57 PM »
Just don't go on during Shabbat--no problem!  :)

Or at least log out first  ;D

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 03:50:57 PM »

Not Shabbos (anymore) for everyone, it depends where you live...

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 04:33:19 PM »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 10:15:18 PM »

Chaim said in ask JTF they have to keep it open for a few weeks while they fix a technical problem.  (they are not working on it on shabbat obviously but the forum itself has to be open and running. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 10:25:37 PM by Kahane-Was-Right BT »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 10:28:14 PM »
Chaim said in ask JTF they have to keep it open for a few weeks while they fix a technical problem.  (they are not working on it on shabbat obviously but the forum itself has to be open and running. 

I must have missed it... I was just wondering...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 08:53:42 PM »
I must have missed it... I was just wondering...

And pray tell, my haredi friend, what are you doing on the forum on Shabbat? :P
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 08:55:25 PM »
And pray tell, my haredi friend, what are you doing on the forum on Shabbat? :P

I wasn't... When I posted it was still 2PM PST {3 hours before EST}...

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 10:00:24 PM »
After the new design, I tried taking the forum offline one Friday afternoon, but I got an error message.  It should be corrected shortly.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 10:00:42 PM »
Why is this such a problem?? When the official candle lighting time comes people who seek to make the observance should just sign off and forget that the computer is even in the house... Is it a sin for the JTF site to remain on line during Shabbat? Many other Jewish sites remain on line so it must be a preference rather then a requirement.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 10:13:22 PM »
Why is this such a problem?? When the official candle lighting time comes people who seek to make the observance should just sign off and forget that the computer is even in the house... Is it a sin for the JTF site to remain on line during Shabbat? Many other Jewish sites remain on line so it must be a preference rather then a requirement.

There is no Halachic obligation to shut down the computers. We are forbidden from using the computer {or any other device which uses electricity}.... I am just one who thinks that it is good to shut down JTF during the Shabbos... The reason I feel this way is because sometimes we are so involved with a discussion on JTF that we may worry about it during Shabbos. I don't know if my opinion is the majority opinion. It is true that other Jewish sites do not shut down on Shabbos, they just do not allow new posts to be posted during the Shabbos.

If this custom is no longer kept I will be saddened because I felt it was a noble thing to avoid Jewish use of the forum during the Shabbos.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 10:14:23 PM »
Why is this such a problem?? When the official candle lighting time comes people who seek to make the observance should just sign off and forget that the computer is even in the house...  

Excellent point.  If only Jews were all so committed.  I think Chaim's main point about this issue was that he knows (as we all know) that there are many Jews who do not commit themselves to guarding the Shabbath, and they will surely post on the forum if given the chance, since they are probably on the internet anyway and doing any number of things on Shabbath.  (of course some of our great Jewish members are committed to the halacha and so they wouldn't think of being here or on the computer!)   So he doesn't want to be aiding and abetting or be held liable for each sin that such a Jew would commit by clicking around and posting on the site.

Is it a sin for the JTF site to remain on line during Shabbat? Many other Jewish sites remain on line so it must be a preference rather then a requirement.

I'm not really sure what to think about it, but Chaim has probably asked his rav or analyzed this situation himself and come to his conclusion.  I'm not 100% sure what I would do if I was running the forum, but I respect his decision.   I know for instance that when I was in Israel, our rebbeim told us that since the time was ahead of the US by several hours, we should not email our family motzi shabbat (sat nightfall) while it is still Shabbat in the states in case they might write us back while it is shabbat for them, and we should wait til their shabbat is over also in order to contact them because we'd be implicated in their avera even tho they dont know much about halacha or dont follow it, it would still partially fall on us if we cause them to reply during shabbat.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 10:24:48 PM »
I've never noticed the Hebrew forum being down on Shabbat what's the difference there?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 10:28:35 PM »
I've never noticed the Hebrew forum being down on Shabbat what's the difference there?

Good question.... I would not know..

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 10:42:17 PM »
Excellent point.  If only Jews were all so committed.  I think Chaim's main point about this issue was that he knows (as we all know) that there are many Jews who do not commit themselves to guarding the Shabbath, and they will surely post on the forum if given the chance, since they are probably on the internet anyway and doing any number of things on Shabbath.  (of course some of our great Jewish members are committed to the halacha and so they wouldn't think of being here or on the computer!)   So he doesn't want to be aiding and abetting or be held liable for each sin that such a Jew would commit by clicking around and posting on the site.

I'm not really sure what to think about it, but Chaim has probably asked his rav or analyzed this situation himself and come to his conclusion.  I'm not 100% sure what I would do if I was running the forum, but I respect his decision.   I know for instance that when I was in Israel, our rebbeim told us that since the time was ahead of the US by several hours, we should not email our family motzi shabbat (sat nightfall) while it is still Shabbat in the states in case they might write us back while it is shabbat for them, and we should wait til their shabbat is over also in order to contact them because we'd be implicated in their avera even tho they dont know much about halacha or dont follow it, it would still partially fall on us if we cause them to reply during shabbat.
It really is interesting how the candle lighting times follow the time zones throughout the world... Although this was not a factor before the communication age it is interesting how something like the ability to interact with people on the other side of the world rapidly could now violate the Shabbat observance.
http://www.candlelightingtimes.org/calendar/
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 10:43:03 PM »
My guess is that most of the people on the Hebrew forum are Jews who are religious.  So they would automatically not go online for Shabbat.  On the English forum, we have a mixed group of people.  

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 10:25:56 PM »
I understand the non-observant or Christian JTFers wanting to be online.  I have a very hard time being offline on Saturday..very hard, but still that's my problem. I dont think the other people on this site should have to pay because it's difficult from some of us to have self-control over this issue.  On the other hand, so many of us are internet addicted, that perhaps everyone should be forced to be offline one day a week, regardless of faith.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 10:45:06 PM »
I got used to JTF being off on Shabbat. I don't mind it..actually I like it.  I think it should remain this way...or at least I would think that it is offline on Shabbat even if it isn't.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein