Author Topic: What is Chassidism?  (Read 4366 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
What is Chassidism?
« on: February 01, 2011, 02:18:58 AM »
From Chabads 'Ask Moses' site @ http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/244,203/What-is-Chassidism.html#articlepage

What is Chassidism?

A. Chassidism is the Judaism-revolutionizing, Moshiach-bringing movement that swept across and overtook classical Judaism in the early-to-mid 1700s. It was founded by Rabbi Israel Baal Shem Tov.

B. Chassidism is to Judaism what a second kidney is to the man who only has one, or what color is to black-and-white photography—an enhancement. An improvement. A dramatic betterment of the status quo.

C. Chassidism came to Jewry when Jewry couldn’t have possibly needed it more. Like a doctor whispering a fainted man’s name in his ears, the Nation of Israel, devastated by the Cossacks and the false messianism of Shabbatai Tzvi, received a wake-up call when G-d whispered “Israel Baal Shem Tov” into its collective ear. During his lifetime, the Baal Shem Tov recorded an out-of-body experience in which he returned to Heaven to ask Moshiach when he would come. Moshiach responded: “When your wellsprings will spread out,” meaning: when your teachings change the Jewish world. Chassidism is thus a cataclysmic, cosmic development, laying the groundwork for the arrival of Moshiach itself.

What defines Chassidism?

1. The Movement

Chassidism began in 1698 with a soul named Israel descending from Heaven into the body of the yet-to-be-born son of Eliezer and Sarah, a kindly couple of the little village of Okup, Ukraine. Little Israel’s father died young, charging his only child to “fear nothing but G-d.” His mother died a short while later.

Having little formal education, the lad joined a small school as a teacher’s apprentice, spending much free time wandering the fields and forests pondering G-d’s greatness. As a teenager, Israel joined a wandering group of mystics, becoming well versed in Kabbalistic traditions of Torah and acquiring the title “Baal Shem Tov,” or “Master of the Good Name.”1

At age 36, after years of traipsing about, the Baal Shem Tov was informed from On High that the time had come to change the world. He began addressing the illiterate peasant masses among the greater Jewish community, attracting a huge following among the learned and laymen alike with his inspirational tales, warmth, love and miracles. He taught that every Jew is beloved to G-d like an only son to his parents, and that innocence born of ignorance counts. He sweetened Judaism, counteracting the severity and elitism that the scholars and preachers had stratified the Jewish community with.

Eventually settling in Mezhibuzh, the Baal Shem gathered about him a hardcore inner circle of devoted students, all world-class Torah scholars in their own right. Upon his passing on the holiday of Shavuot, 1760, Rabbi Dov Ber, his finest disciple, a.k.a. the Maggid (Preacher) of Mezritch, assumed leadership of Chassidism. Under the Maggid, the third generation of Chassidic leadership, numbering several dozen brilliant students, studied, learned and developed individual interpretations of The Chassidic Idea. Upon the Maggid’s passing, leadership of the movement split evenly among these several dozen students, ultimately branching into several hundred schools of thought by the mid-1900s.

2. The Chassid

When Chassidism was born, it wasn’t called Chassidism. The title came later. What it means and what it came to mean are two different things. What it means is “piety.” What is means today is the same thing it meant when the early adherents of Chassidism adopted it for themselves: a spiritual, emotional devotion to the study of Torah and performance of mitzvahs above and beyond the letter of law. To the Chassidim, it wasn’t what you did as much as how you did it—with true happiness, positivity and good cheer. Today, a “Chassid” is a Jew who is born into a Chassidic family of any of the hundreds of existing Chassidic groups, and/or who follows or subscribes to that lifestyle.

3. The Rebbe

The Rebbe (pronounced REH-beh) is the spiritual axle that makes the wheel of Chassidism go ‘round. The first Rebbe was the Baal Shem Tov himself. The second was the Mezritcher Maggid. And the rest is history. Every Chassidic group has its own Rebbe, who becomes rebbe by being a member of the “royal dynasty” that the previous Rebbe belonged to. For example, the sixth Lubavitcher Rebbe, Rabbi Joseph I. Schneersohn, was the son of the fifth. His successor, the seventh Lubavitcher Rebbe, was his son-in-law and distant blood relative.

A Rebbe is a spiritual mentor. He counsels his followers in the ways of Chassidism in general, and in the ways of the group he helms in particular. If you’ve watched the Star Wars movies and are familiar with the Jedi Master concept, you have a slight inkling of what a Rebbe is all about. A rebbe is seen as the most perfect example of living the Jewish lifestyle according to Chassidic ideas and ideals. He is a role model. As such, he is also considered a tzadik, an innocent, highly spiritual visionary with the ability to effect miracles and perceive the extrasensory.

4. The Methods

The essential difference between Chassidism and all other streams of Orthodox Judaism is that while the other streams see Avodah (service of G-d) as part of Torah study, Chassidic Judaism sees Torah study as part of Avodah.

While many Jews places primary emphasis on Torah study, Chassidic Judaism places primary emphasis on Avodah. And within Avodah, several key schools of thought emerge. The Breslover Chassidim, for example place a heavy emphasis on raw communion with G-d—just going out into the woods for long stretches of thought. The Karliner Chassidim believe in high-decibel tefillah. The Satmars stress Torah study and kindness. Gerrer Chassidim stress the importance of truth, and, among many groups, try to stand as physically close to their Rebbe during services, the better to emulate him. And Lubavitcher Chassidim emphasize a disciplined intellectual/meditative discovery of G-d.

Virtually all Chassidic groups, from the Baal Shem himself on down, believe in using the pleasures of song and dance for spiritual gain. Every Chassidic dynasty thus has its own distinct repertoire of niggunim (wordless melodies, pronounced nih-GOO-nim), and incorporate much singing and dancing in their service of G-d.

Above all, the ideas of each Chassidic group, its particular flavor of Chassidism, is captured in print by the scholarly writings of its Rebbes. These books are studied throughout the Chassid’s life, as he constantly strives to make himself a better person.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Christian Zionist

• Master JTFer
  • homosexuality is an abomination to God-Lev.18:22
Re: What is Chassidism?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:58:05 PM »

Muman,

How many of these Chassidic branches are pro-Zionist?    I know Satmar is against Zionism and heard that the Lubavitcher movement is formerly anti-Zionist but the Rebbe Menachem Mendel Sneershen changed it to a Zionist movement?

Are Ger, Belz,  Breslov, Vizhnitz, Seret-Vizhnitz, Nadvorna, and Toldos Aharon,  Zionist?

What about that Neturei Karta group?  Are they Chassidim too?

CZ

Isaiah 62:1 -  For Zion's sake I am not silent, And for Jerusalem's sake I do not rest, Till her righteousness go out as brightness, And her salvation, as a torch that burns.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:27:35 PM »
Muman,

How many of these Chassidic branches are pro-Zionist?    I know Satmar is against Zionism and heard that the Lubavitcher movement is formerly anti-Zionist but the Rebbe Menachem Mendel Sneershen changed it to a Zionist movement?

Are Ger, Belz,  Breslov, Vizhnitz, Seret-Vizhnitz, Nadvorna, and Toldos Aharon,  Zionist?

What about that Neturei Karta group?  Are they Chassidim too?

CZ

Satmar is the most obvious anti-Zionist strain of Chassidim...

But Chabad is pro-Zionist and has been as long as I can remember. I am not sure about the previous Lubavitch Rabbis but as long as there has been a state I believe that Chabad has been supportive.

The branch of Chassidism which my family comes from is called Breslov and Breslov is definitely pro-Zionist. There is a big community of Breslov in Tzfat, and there are Breslov yeshivas in Jerusalem...

I spoke with a Rabbi Shabbat two weeks ago who claimed he learned from the Brisker Chassidim and it sounds like Brisker is pro-Zionist also...

The issue which is debated between the branches is whether the 'Three Oaths' which I talk about in another thread are still in effect. The Rabbi which I spoke with last week said that because the oath which the nations took has been abrogated, therefore the other two oaths are no longer valid...

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,53734.msg498493.html#msg498493

Maybe this discussion would inform you about Chassidus and zionism...

http://www.jewishanswers.org/ask-the-rabbi-2909/hasidic-life-today/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:32:55 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 08:37:15 PM »
Remember that all Chassidus believes that Jews should be in Israel. The problem they have is with the secular state of Israel. Some of us here are beginning to get very unhappy with the current state of the state of Israel also. What is needed is for a strong Jew who knows what it means to be Jewish to get control in Israel. Until then the religious Jews in the state will continue to be used as cannon fodder by the secular israelis.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 08:55:20 PM »
I don't know it might be my crazy way of looking at things but I feel the tragic murder of that poor family the other day was a wakeup call from above... I think G-d is trying to show Israels Jews whats in store for them if they don't start setting things to rights in the land of Israel... There is no way the government could continue it's suicidal policies if enough people made their voices heard that they shouldn't.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »
Here is a good discussion of how the position of some Chassidic groups changed after the establishment of the state:

http://www.vbm-torah.org/archive/shoah/09a-shoah.htm

D.  Building up Eretz Yisrael and the Rebbe's attitude towards the State

The following are various aspects of the activities and leadership of the Rebbe of Sanz-Klausenburg that testify to his positive attitude towards the State:

a.             The choice of Eretz Yisrael as the center for his Chassidic court: The activity of the Rebbe of Sanz-Klausenburg after the Holocaust proves that he viewed the establishment of his Chassidut in Eretz Yisrael as a central objective of his role as leader and rehabilitator of the ruins.  Unquestionably, this reflected more than just a realistic assessment of the conditions in Eretz Yisrael as being conducive to the establishment of his court; after all, he was well acquainted with – and even brought to fruition – the American alternative, which continues to exist.  The decision to make the center of his Chassidut in Eretz Yisrael was made at a time when the foundations of his court in the US were already stable.  His announcement, upon leaving the DP camps in Germany for New York – "I am going to Eretz Yisrael via America"[17] – was meant in the practical and literal sense.

b.            Activity on behalf of all Jews, not only the Chassidic community: The extensive, "all-inclusive" scope of the establishment of his court and its institutions proves that his intention was to integrate into the reality of Eretz Yisrael as it was and to contribute towards it – whether through institutions for Torah, charity, or volunteering, or through establishing a hospital in Netanya (Laniado) to serve all Israelis, and not only the Chassidic community.

c.      The choice of the Netanya coast as the location for the center of his Chassidut: in continuation of point b., the choice of Netanya, and specifically the sea shore, was important.  The choice of this large, secular city and a location on the coast rather than an existing ultra-orthodox center such as Benei Berak or Jerusalem proves that the Rebbe did not perceive his settling in Israel as "Jewish exile within Eretz Yisrael,"[18] but rather as a permanent settling with a self-awareness of belonging to the State and to the general population, despite its secular character.[19]

d.      Dialogue with the leaders of the State: The Rebbe of Sanz-Klausenburg maintained ongoing dialogue with the leaders of the State and its institutions, and he had expectations of them both on the practical level (such as approving the establishment of the hospital or the Chassidic center) and in the cultural, spiritual realm.  There were times when he was sorely disappointed, and even left the country as a result.[20] However, those very expectations show that he did not relate to the State as a merely material or economic framework, but rather as an entity with inherent significance.  In this context, we should also take note of the harsh attacks that he suffered from his conservative-minded Chassidic opponents as a result of this attitude.  In 5721, an ultra-orthodox newspaper published a picture of his meeting with David Ben-Gurion, and stated that the meeting had centered on the establishment of a State-religious educational network for Sanz.  The picture was accompanied by harsh words against the Rebbe: he is referred to as a "Johnny Come Lately" (he had arrived in the country a year previously), and accused of attempting to create "shaatnez" between two "opposing forces" – Chassidism and Zionism.[21]

All of the above shows that the Rebbe, for the most part, maintained a positive dialogue with the State and its institutions, and that he viewed settlement in the land in the national sense as a true value, and not just as a personal commandment, as many of the founding fathers of Chassidut in previous generations had maintained.  In our next lecture, we will examine the ideological basis for this view.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »
Muman,

How many of these Chassidic branches are pro-Zionist?    I know Satmar is against Zionism and heard that the Lubavitcher movement is formerly anti-Zionist but the Rebbe Menachem Mendel Sneershen changed it to a Zionist movement?

Are Ger, Belz,  Breslov, Vizhnitz, Seret-Vizhnitz, Nadvorna, and Toldos Aharon,  Zionist?

What about that Neturei Karta group?  Are they Chassidim too?

CZ

Naturei karta are actually not chassidic, but they do dress like chassidim and wear the same hair style.   Why, I don't know.

Many of those other sects are indeed anti-zionist, or non-zionist.   But Breslov is quite zionist.   

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 08:09:18 PM »
Remember that all Chassidus believes that Jews should be in Israel. The problem they have is with the secular state of Israel. Some of us here are beginning to get very unhappy with the current state of the state of Israel also. What is needed is for a strong Jew who knows what it means to be Jewish to get control in Israel. Until then the religious Jews in the state will continue to be used as cannon fodder by the secular israelis.

But the existence of the nation of Israel is the first step... 

If all Chassidim believe that all Jews should be in Israel, why they did not show up in large numbers to block the expulsion of Jews from Gaza and other places?  I have serious doubts over their loyalty to the Torah and their lack of action when the government expelled Jews from the restored territories.

In the Tanak even that evil King Ahab who destroyed the ancient Judaism in the northern kingdom wanted to retake Ramoth-Gilead from the Syrians. 

1 King 22:3

And the king of Israel said to his servants, “Do you know that Ramoth-gilead belongs to us, and we keep quiet and do not take it out of the hand of the king of Syria?”

Isaiah 62:1 -  For Zion's sake I am not silent, And for Jerusalem's sake I do not rest, Till her righteousness go out as brightness, And her salvation, as a torch that burns.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 01:26:18 AM »
But the existence of the nation of Israel is the first step...  

If all Chassidim believe that all Jews should be in Israel, why they did not show up in large numbers to block the expulsion of Jews from Gaza and other places? I have serious doubts over their loyalty to the Torah and their lack of action when the government expelled Jews from the restored territories.

In the Tanach even that evil King Ahab who destroyed the ancient Judaism in the northern kingdom wanted to retake Ramoth-Gilead from the Syrians.  

1 King 22:3

And the king of Israel said to his servants, “Do you know that Ramoth-gilead belongs to us, and we keep quiet and do not take it out of the hand of the king of Syria?”

Its very presumptuous of you to tell Jews how to observe Commandments, isn't it... You are not Jewish and you know nothing about what it means to obey the 613 commandments. You have boldly condemned a complete strain of Judaism without even knowing what you are saying. I strongly disagree with you and I know many very Zionistic Chassids.

PS: If I were to suggest how Christians should behave concerning their religion I would be chastised by so many here.

Also why do you quote one of the most evil kings in Israel. Ahab and Jezebel established Idol worship in the land. He was a wicked man whose entire family was destroyed because of his wicked designs...

King Ahab of Israel: Son of King Omri. Reigned from 740-720 BCE. Influenced by his nefarious Zidonite wife Jezebel, Ahab encouraged idol worship in his domain and persecuted the true prophets of G-d. Disregarding Joshua’s ban, he rebuilt the city of Jericho, for which he was admonished by Elijah the prophet and punished with a three-year drought. King Ben-Hadad of Aram twice attacked Israel, with an army much stronger than the Israelites’, yet Ahab miraculously defeated Ben-Hadad and forced him to return the Israelite territory which his father had conquered. When Ben-Hadad refused to give back the city of Ramoth-Gilead, Ahab joined forces with King Jehoshaphat of Judah to force the Aramites’ compliance. Ahab was killed in battle and succeeded by his son, Ahaziah. For his many sins and his cooperation with his wife’s depraved schemes, his entire household was ultimately destroyed, as Elijah prophesied.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 01:36:32 AM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 01:41:27 AM »
Just for your reference, here is a portion of the Amidah prayer which all Orthodox strains of Judaism recite, as formulated by the Men of the Great Assembly ( http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/591,539/Who-were-the-Anshei-Knesset-Hagedolah-Men-of-the-Great-Assembly.html ) , the Gedolim who put together our prayer books...

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/867674/jewish/Translation.htm

May Your mercies be aroused, L-rd our G‑d, upon the righteous, upon the pious, upon the elders of Your people, the House of Israel, upon the remnant of their sages, upon the righteous proselytes and upon us. Grant ample reward to all who truly trust in Your Name, and place our lot among them; may we never be disgraced, for we have put our trust in You. Blessed are You L-rd, the support and security of the righteous.

Return in mercy to Jerusalem Your city and dwell therein as You have promised; speedily establish therein the throne of David Your servant, and rebuild it, soon in our days, as an everlasting edifice. Blessed are You L-rd, who rebuilds Jerusalem. Speedily cause the scion of David Your servant to flourish, and increase his power by Your salvation, for we hope for Your salvation all day. Blessed are You L-rd, who causes the power of salvation to flourish.

Hear our voice, L-rd our G‑d; merciful Father, have compassion upon us and accept our prayers in mercy and favor, for You are G‑d who hears prayers and supplications; do not turn us away empty-handed from You, our King, for You hear the prayer of everyone. Blessed are You L-rd, who hears prayer.

Look with favor, L-rd our G‑d, on Your people Israel and pay heed to their prayer; restore the service to Your Sanctuary and accept with love and favor Israel's fire-offerings and prayer; and may the service of Your people Israel always find favor.

May our eyes behold Your return to Zion in mercy. Blessed are You L-rd, who restores His Divine Presence to Zion.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 12:04:30 AM »
Its very presumptuous of you to tell Jews how to observe Commandments, isn't it... You are not Jewish and you know nothing about what it means to obey the 613 commandments. You have boldly condemned a complete strain of Judaism without even knowing what you are saying. I strongly disagree with you and I know many very Zionistic Chassids.

PS: If I were to suggest how Christians should behave concerning their religion I would be chastised by so many here.

Also why do you quote one of the most evil kings in Israel. Ahab and Jezebel established Idol worship in the land. He was a wicked man whose entire family was destroyed because of his wicked designs...

It is not about telling Jews how to observe the 613 commandments. That is not my responsibility to tell members of another religion how to observe their religion.   It is about Zionism.  My question is about the lack of action from the Chassidim to prevent withdrawal from the restored territories.

The reason I brought Ahab was, inspite of his wickedness he still wanted to retake the terriories from Syria.  He was a Zionist, at least having a nationalistic spirit.   What we see today is totally different.  In modern Israel Leftists who practice wickedness and even many in the
ultra orthodox community are not concerned about reclaiming the lost territories.  I am not commending Ahab but wondering even such a wicked person like Ahab was unwilling to give up territories to Israel's enemies, how much more should be expected out of G-d fearing Ultra Orthodox community.

The Torah gives the foundation of Zionism and the rest of the Tanak deals with Israel as a nation, a spiritual entity.  In the Christian community I cannot call a Christian who does not believe in Zionism as loyal to the Bible.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:09:53 AM by Christian Zionist »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 12:17:32 AM »

It is not about telling Jews how to observe the 613 commandments. That is not my responsibility to tell members of another religion how to observe their religion.   It is about Zionism.  My question is about the lack of action from the Chassidim to prevent withdrawal from the restored territories.

The reason I brought Ahab was, inspite of his wickedness he still wanted to retake the terriories from Syria.  He was a Zionist, at least having a nationalistic spirit.   What we see today is totally different.  In modern Israel Leftists who practice wickedness and even many in the
ultra orthodox community are not concerned about reclaiming the lost territories.  I am not commending Ahab but wondering even such a wicked person like Ahab was unwilling to give up territories to Israel's enemies, how much more should be expected out of G-d fearing Ultra Orthodox community.

The Torah gives the foundation of Zionism and the rest of the Tanach deals with Israel as a nation, a spiritual entity.  In the Christian community I cannot call a Christian who does not believe in Zionism as loyal to the Bible.

You realize that my complaint against your post was primary because you do not really understand Chassidus, and as a result you broadly paint all with the same brush as the NK which, as KWRBT pointed out, is not a Chassidic branch of Judaism. Even the most non-Zionist Chassidic group would never conspire with enemies of the Jewish people. As I said all Chassidus envisions the entire Jewish nation in Zion.

I would also like to bring up the issue of the three oaths, which I talked about in a previous thread in this section when I discussed the topic of Judea and Samaria with a special Rabbi at a Shabbaton I attended recently. The Talmud records these three oaths which Israel, Hashem, and the nations agreed to after the second and current exile... The primary stumbling block to several non-Zionistic Jews is these three oaths. The Rabbi whom I was talking to explained that the nations have violated their oath and therefore the entire agreement is anulled. But this is only the opinion of some Rabbis, and I am not sure if it is the mainstream Orthodox viewpoint.

See :  http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,53734.msg498492.html#msg498492