Author Topic: Help KWRBT learn Hebrew thread  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Help KWRBT learn Hebrew thread
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:00:51 PM »
Shalom Aleichem.  I don't have much time to type right now but thought I would open this thread.   I've been using google translate to try to learn Hebrew in my spare time.   The main problem is the lack of vowels displayed there, so when I learn a new vocabulary word, unfortunately I have no idea how to pronounce it.

Here is an example:  שוכנת

This word (at least as far as I can gather) is akin to the English term "live"   

Ie, "She lives in Haifa."

How do you say the word, though - Is it "Shochenet?"     Or some other vowelization?   This will be my first lesson, and I thank whoever will teach me.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Help KWRBT learn Hebrew thread
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 06:01:29 PM »
Shalom KWRBT,

Have you tried any of the online Hebrew courses? I am thinking of trying it myself...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:20:56 PM »
Your transliteration seeks accurate. I assume you know the how to pronounce the ch. And the stress is on the next to last syllable

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:34:24 PM »
Your transliteration seeks accurate. I assume you know the how to pronounce the ch. And the stress is on the next to last syllable

Toda raba achi

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 10:40:33 PM »
Shalom KWRBT,

Have you tried any of the online Hebrew courses? I am thinking of trying it myself...

can you pm me the link?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 11:33:56 PM »
correct. the masculine would be "shochen"