Author Topic: More antisemitism in Switzerland  (Read 702 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
More antisemitism in Switzerland
« on: March 03, 2011, 10:08:19 PM »
I think I posted about the rise of antisemitism in Switzerland last month when Arutz Sheva posted an article discussing this topic. Carl in Jerusalem has an update on the story. It appears that antisemitism is getting out of control in Switzerland. The assistant Rabbi of a synagogue in Switzerland was recently attacked by three 'youths' last week.

I have a feeling that we will witness another Holocaust if we do not stop this antisemitic tide...

http://israelmatzav.blogspot.com/2011/03/rabbi-attacked-in-switzerland.html

The assistant rabbi of a synagogue in Lausanne, Switzerland was attacked by three 'youths' last Wednesday night as he was leaving his synagogue. Two of the 'youths' were caught after passersby stopped the attack, and the rabbi is pressing charges against them.

CICAD called the incident the "worst attack of anti-semitism in Switzerland in recent years." This is surprising, in that just two years ago, CICAD reported on a “sharp rise in anti-Semitic acts [in Switzerland],” and lamented the "unresponsive" Swiss authorities. There were with 38 attacks in 2007 and 96 in 2008; statistics on attacks since then are unavailable.

A poll conducted in Switzerland in 2007 showed that 41% of respondents thought that Jews have too much power in the business world, 40% believed that Jews have too much power in international financial markets, and 45% felt that Jews still talk too much about what happened to them in the Holocaust. Seventeen percent of the Swiss respondents agreed that the Jews are responsible for the death of Jesus.

You might recall that Swiss President Hans Rudolf Merz met with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad during the Durban II conference in Geneva two years ago. Swiss Foreign Minister Micheline Calmy-Rey has also been seen cackling with Ahmadinejad. Anyone else think those two factoids might be connected to the country's treatment of its Jews?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:54:03 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: More antisemitism in Sweden
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 05:47:33 AM »
I think you mean Switzerland in that case.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: More antisemitism in Sweden
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 10:52:10 AM »
I think you mean Switzerland in that case.

Duh... How did I miss that... Good eye!

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14