Author Topic: Sad commentary on Natalie Portmans Parents  (Read 756 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Sad commentary on Natalie Portmans Parents
« on: March 04, 2011, 04:10:21 PM »
 http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4019461,00.html    

Israel News

Jewish Connection

Photo: Eli Elgarat
   Ashton Kutcher in Israel. Love and light  Photo: Eli Elgarat

Ashton Kutcher reads Torah

Natalie Portman says 'No Strings Attached' co-star taught her more about Judaism 'than I think I have ever learned from anyone else'

Ilan Mester
Published:    03.04.11, 14:58 / Israel Culture

Share on TwitterShare on Facebook

There’s something that connects Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman other than acting: Judaism. Kutcher isn’t Jewish, but it’s no secret that the Hollywood star is interested in Kabbalah.

Portman and Kutcher star in the romantic comedy "No Strings Attached", directed by Canadian Ivan Reitman. They recently sat down with USA Today to talk about the movie, and Portman, who was born in Jerusalem, revealed that she learned quite a lot from her co-star about Judaism.

"Ashton has taught me more about Judaism than I think I have ever learned from anyone else," Portman, who’s just been nominated for a second Academy Award, told the newspaper.

Kutcher and Portman. 'He read all the Hebrew' (Photo: Reuters)

"Ashton's a very serious student of Kabbalah and Judaism. He knows a lot. When we had the funeral scene (in 'No Strings Attached'), that was a Jewish funeral. He was able to read all the Hebrew. It's very impressive."

In the interview, she says that Kutcher reads the Torah on Saturdays.

Advertisement   

The actor has been studying Kabbalah for years and back in 2009, he told the audience at GQ magazine’s The Gentlemen’s Ball that his best friend is Rabbi Shraga Berg, founder of the Kabbalah Center.

Kutcher and his wife, actress Demi Moore, have visited Israel a number of times. Back in October of 2010, the actor attended and spoke at the Bezeq Expo in Israel and tweeted the message, “Sharing Love & Light while in Israel.”

* Reprinted with permission from Shalom Life

talkback      talkback            Print      Print           Send to friend      Send to friend         
Tag with Del.icio.us    Bookmark to del.icio.us

2 Talkbacks for this article       See all talkbacks

Insanity
blash    ,  Jerusalem     (03.04.11)

GREAT News!
Israeli 2        (03.04.11)

Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Sad commentary on Natalie Portmans Parents
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 04:12:48 PM »
Did Kutcher convert via a recognized Orthodox conversion? If so he is Jewish. If not he is just a poser and I don't think he should be observing Shabbat. I don't know if he should even be reading the Torah. He certainly would not be able to do so at an Orthodox shul..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 04:16:16 PM »
Meh....on another note it's nice to see when a non jew is interested in some form of judaism.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 04:18:02 PM »
Did Kutcher convert via a recognized Orthodox conversion? If so he is Jewish. If not he is just a poser and I don't think he should be observing Shabbat. I don't know if he should even be reading the Torah. He certainly would not be able to do so at an Orthodox shul..

I have no idea but what i mean her parents are from Israel yet someone who isn't Jewish has to teach about Judaism and Hebrew
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »
I have no idea but what i mean her parents are from Israel yet someone who isn't Jewish has to teach about Judaism and Hebrew

I hope that she realizes some day what mistakes she made. Maybe Kutcher is doing good by bringing some Jews back to their heritage. I do believe that righteous gentiles do have a role in bringing Jews back to Hashem. As I stated in another post it was a Christian African-American who said a few words which ended up sending me on the path I am on today...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 04:30:33 PM »
I hope that she realizes some day what mistakes she made. Maybe Kutcher is doing good by bringing some Jews back to their heritage. I do believe that righteous gentiles do have a role in bringing Jews back to Hashem. As I stated in another post it was a Christian African-American who said a few words which ended up sending me on the path I am on today...

So prhaps in a way he was a malech sent from Ha'Shem

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 04:31:23 PM »
So prhaps in a way he was a malech sent from Ha'Shem

Yes...

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 04:59:32 PM »

I had a muslim coworker refuse gummy bears that I was eating because it had gelatin. Ever since that day, I stop and check to see if it is kosher.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 05:17:21 PM »
I had a muslim coworker refuse gummy bears that I was eating because it had gelatin. Ever since that day, I stop and check to see if it is kosher.
no i remember when i was in kindergarten a kid gave some i hated it since then :laugh:

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »
I'm not familiar with whether non-Jews are allowed to read Kabbalah, but at least Kutcher seems to be doing some good with his lessons in Judaism. What a shame Natalie Portman's parents are obviously the same kind of Jews Rabbi Kahane felt responsible for the fact many young Jews have no Jewish identity.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!