Author Topic: Makuya: Japanese Zionists.  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Saxon Marauder

• Full JTFer
Makuya: Japanese Zionists.
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:25:15 PM »
I discovered this little-known group a few years ago. I don't know if their actual trinitarian or orthodox Christians or not, but they're Japanese followers of Jesus who have a particularly strong attachment to the Land of Israel and the Jews. They've often cooperated with traditional Shintoists (Japanese folk-religion) on matters that they agree with, so they're probably a bit syncretic in nature. However, I was fascinated when I first discovered this group.

The group's homepage:

http://www.makuya.or.jp/eng/index.htm

Cædmon's Hymn:

Now we must honour the Guardian of Heaven,
the might of the Architect, and His purpose,
the work of the Father of Glory-as He, the Eternal Lord, established the beginning of wonders. He, the Holy Creator, first created heaven as a roof
for the children of men. Then the Guardian of Mankind the Eternal Lord, the Lord Almighty
afterwards appointed the middle earth, the lands, for men.

Offline Saxon Marauder

• Full JTFer
Re: Makuya: Japanese Zionists.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:27:22 PM »
Let me add a bit more information.

MAKUYA. The word "Makuya" is the Japanese translation of the Hebrew phrase Ohel Moed  the meeting place between God and man, the dwelling place of God's Shekhinah (Ex. 29:42-43), and refers to an indigenous Japanese group of Bible Believers, strongly identified with the cause of Israel.

Makuya was founded in May 1948 by a charismatic leader, Abraham Ikuro Teshima (1910-73), who was then a successful businessman and ardent Christian believer. He emphasized the importance of the personal encounter with the Spirit of God and the return to the dynamic faith of the original Gospel of early Hebraic Christianity, as opposed to the dogmatic, institutionalized, Europian-dominated churches.

He tried to revive the devastated spiritual condition of postwar Japan by proclaiming the words of the living God (Amos 8:11). He said "The Bible is the light to all peoples and the biblical faith perfects all religions. Even today the God of Israel is living and vividly intervenes in the human society with his abundant goodness and mercy."

A commentator on the Bible and prolific writer, Teshima maintained that deeper understanding of the Jewish faith, its people and history, is essential to the full comprehension of the Bible. The religious thinking of Rabbi A. H. Kook, Martin Buber and Abraham Heschel are among the cherished elements of their belief. Their fervent love of the Bible and firm attachment to Zion brings hundreds of Makuya pilgrims annually to Israel. Over 250 Makuya students have been sent to Israeli kibbutzim to work together with the people of the Bible, and to study Hebrew and the biblical background. Some of them continue their academic studies in universities. They have published their first Hebrew-Japanese dictionary.

from "ENCYCLOPEDIA JUDAICA" Year Book 1977-8
Cædmon's Hymn:

the work of the Father of Glory-as He, the Eternal Lord, established the beginning of wonders. He, the Holy Creator, first created heaven as a roof
for the children of men. Then the Guardian of Mankind the Eternal Lord, the Lord Almighty

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:39:13 PM »
Interesting.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Saxon Marauder

• Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:46:07 PM »
Interesting.

I agree to be honest.  The Japanese friends that I've had, and I've had many, seem to have less against the Jews and more against the Christians. For one thing, Christians missionized and missionize heavily in Japan, whereas Jews don't and will not. I've read some rather far-fetched theories of the Japanese being the progeny of the Ten Lost Tribes, so there's this fascination that some of the Japanese have with the Jews that most Jews probably aren't even aware of.
Cædmon's Hymn:

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 11:06:10 PM »
All this news of Japan reminds me of a book I read many years ago called Shogun by James Clavell, about an English sailor, who with his crew made it to Japan in the 1600's.  This sailor ended up becoming a samurai.  The story (also made into a television mini-series) was loosely based on the exploits of English sailor William Adams.  The author really knew the Japanese culture inside out.  Here's more info on the book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh%C5%8Dgun_%28novel%29

Offline Saxon Marauder

• Full JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 11:13:52 PM »
All this news of Japan reminds me of a book I read many years ago called Shogun by James Clavell, about an English sailor, who with his crew made it to Japan in the 1600's.  This sailor ended up becoming a samurai.  The story (also made into a television mini-series) was loosely based on the exploits of English sailor William Adams.  The author really knew the Japanese culture inside out.  Here's more info on the book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh%C5%8Dgun_%28novel%29

The story of Will Adams has always fascinated me, given that my ancestors are mostly English.  :) The odd thing is, he was married at the time to an English lady when he was stranded in Japan, yet he also married a Japanese lady according to their native customs and his native Japanese name is Miura Anjin (Miura, where he lived in Japan; Anjin, pilot or navigator). Adams was made into a samurai by Tokugawa Ieyasu, I believe, and died and was buried in Japan, where his grave is still visited by his [Japanese] descendant.
Cædmon's Hymn:

Offline Saxon Marauder

• Full JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 11:16:48 PM »
The story of Will Adams has always fascinated me, given that my ancestors are mostly English.  :) The odd thing is, he was married at the time to an English lady when he was stranded in Japan, yet he also married a Japanese lady according to their native customs and his native Japanese name is Miura Anjin (Miura, where he lived in Japan; Anjin, pilot or navigator). Adams was made into a samurai by Tokugawa Ieyasu, I believe, and died and was buried in Japan, where his grave is still visited by his [Japanese] descendants.
Cædmon's Hymn:

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 11:35:47 PM »
Yes, he was buried in Japan.  He was the first white samurai. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 01:10:33 AM »
I agree to be honest.  The Japanese friends that I've had, and I've had many, seem to have less against the Jews and more against the Christians. For one thing, Christians missionized and missionize heavily in Japan, whereas Jews don't and will not. I've read some rather far-fetched theories of the Japanese being the progeny of the Ten Lost Tribes, so there's this fascination that some of the Japanese have with the Jews that most Jews probably aren't even aware of.

I am aware of the belief by some Japanese that they are a lost tribe..
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 08:10:13 AM »
I know of the Makuya but I've never met any of them. I am sorry to read that: "The religious thinking of Rabbi A. H. Kook, Martin Buber and Abraham Heschel are among the cherished elements of their belief". Because Martin Buber and Abraham Heschel were two arch-kikes and it sickens me that someone can combine their self-hating thinking with that of Rabbi A.H. Kook ztz"l.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:54:23 AM by Zelhar »

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 11:41:18 AM »
"Arch-kikes" 

Good one Zelhar!   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Saxon Marauder

• Full JTFer
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 04:17:07 PM »
I only made this post as a topic of interest about a group of Japanese Zionists. If I upset anyone, it wasn't my intention to do so.  :o
Cædmon's Hymn:

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 04:18:22 PM »
I only made this post as a topic of interest about a group of Japanese Zionists. If I upset anyone, it wasn't my intention to do so.  :o
Don't worry about it you can post pretty much whatever you like here.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »
Fascinating.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774