Author Topic: Shabbat Zachor : Remember what Amalek did to us on the way....  (Read 2052 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
It is tradition to read Parasha Zachor on Shabbat of Purim. This week Shabbat is on Saturday {as always} and Purim begins at sundown {after Havdalah} on Saturday and ends Sunday night. It is a mitzvah {obligation/command} to listen to the megillah being read on Saturday night, and again on Sunday day {the command is to hear the megillah read twice, once in the evening and once in the day}. I will be fulfilling this mitzvah this year {thanks to my local Rabbis}. This year my mother is coming out to visit me during the Purim Holiday. I hope that I can impart the message of Purim to my mother {who is a Jew, but has very little Jewish education}.

Parasha Zachor is the Parasha which discusses the command to never forget what Amalek did, and to blot out his memory for all time by destroying his remnants. Many Jews don't take the command seriously because the Rabbis say that today we don't really know who the descendants of Amalek are, which is true.... But there are tell-tale signs of who may be an Amalekite, and if their parents also taught them the Amalekite ways then we can be sure that a person is truly an Amalekite.

The Sages and Rabbis also explain that Amalek, besides being a nation, is also a mindset which is prevalent amongst seculars, including Jewish seculars. This mindset is that nature, instead of Hashem, is in control of the world. The whole concept of nature is a deception. Rabbis teach us that even nature itself is a miracle, for if Hashem wished to violate the laws of nature he would have no problem doing so. This was illustrated by the miracle at the Sea of Reeds {although some Jews today still try to give natural explanations for the plagues and the splitting of the sea}. It was also illustrated when the sun and moon stood still in the sky for Joshua:

http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/15794

12. Then Joshua spoke to the Lord on the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, "Sun, stand still upon Gibeon, and Moon in the valley of Ajalon."
13. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is this not written in the book of Jashar? (which is the Torah)? So the sun stood still in the midst of the heaven, and it did not hasten to go down exactly a whole day.

The Amalekites were the first ones to attack the Jewish people as we left from Egypt. His armies struck the rear of the Jewish people, the stragglers, the elderly, the young, and the sick because they were easy targets. The Torah says clearly to remember what they did:

The people of Israel journeyed... and they camped in Rephidim...

[Moses] named the place "Challenge and Strife" because of the strife of the people of Israel and their challenging of G-d, saying, "Is G-d amongst us or not?"

Then came Amalek and attacked Israel in Rephidim... (Exodus 17:1-8)

Remember what Amalek did to you on the road, on your way out of Egypt. That he encountered you on the way and cut off those lagging to your rear, when you were tired and exhausted; he did not fear G-d. Therefore... you must obliterate the memory of Amalek from under the heavens. Do not forget. (Deuteronomy 25:17-19)

Amalek believes that there is a natural order to the world, that survival of the fittest is the rule which dominates the living condition. There is no room in the world for a power which is not seen nor heard, and the mightiness of man is all which counts.

The Jews were on a high spiritual plane after leaving the bondage behind. No nation would dare touch them, as the story of the plagues and the sea was known all around the lands. Yet even though they knew that the Jews were protected by clouds of glory and the pillar of fire, they still threw themselves at the Jews.

The sages explained: how he happened upon you - karcha - that is, he "cooled you off" (from the root kar) for the other nations of the world.

To what can this be compared? To a boiling basin which no one could enter. A worthless person came along and jumped into it. Even though he was scalded, he cooled it off for others.

Similarly, when Israel came out of Egypt, all of the nations of the world feared them, as the verse states: “Then the princes of Edom were confused... fear and trepidation fell upon them (Exodus, 5:15-16). But when Amalek came and engaged them in battle, though he was punished by their hands, he cooled them off, made them less awe-inspiring to the other nations of the world.

Before the sun of Abraham began to rise, the entire world was desolate. It was as if the light of the world had been extinguished and the world was destined to sink into an abyss of corruption, evil, and paganism. And then Abraham came and lit an ember. His children followed and fanned that ember into a mighty flame that gave light and warmth.

When Israel left Egypt, they did so through spectacular wonders and a miraculous revelation of the Divine Presence. All of Israel, all of Egypt, and all the peoples of the world realized that G-d alone rules and there is none beside Him.

All existence waited expectantly for that exalted occasion when G-d would descend to Mount Sinai and speak directly to man. Man's pride was about to be humbled and G-d alone would remain exalted. The false gods were about to vanish. G-d had revealed Himself to His entire people and designated them to be His emissaries to mankind, to illuminate a path for them. Would there still be a nation audacious enough to contend, Who is G-d that I should listen to Him (Shemos 5:2)?

The name Amalek has the same gematria {numerical value} as Safek, which means Doubt. Amalek tries to inject doubt into the faith and trust in Hashem of the Jewish people.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/150871/jewish/Amalek-The-Perpetual-Enemy-of-the-Jewish-People.htm

Within this context, we can understand the numerical equivalence between Amalek and the word safek , the Hebrew word for “doubt”.11 Amalek causes doubt and hesitation which cools the ardor of our divine service. Victory in our inner war with Amalek means devoting our­selves to G‑d’s service without reservations, observing Torah with diligence and enthusiasm that are not confined by our reason.

It is important during Purim for the Jews to recognize Hashems hand in every aspect of our history and development. If we believe that we are just the products of social evolution or just lucky to have survived, then we are just as bad as Amalek. Our faith must be strong that everything which has happened, is happening, and will happen is all the doings of the L-rd Hashem himself, who has a plan for us.

May we all merit to witness the destruction of the evil forces of Amalek. It will be a glorious day for the righteous Jews and gentiles of the world. Evil will be banished and knowledge of G-d will cover the world like water covers the oceans...

See also:

http://www.ou.org/chagim/fourshabbatot/zachor.htm

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/purim/article_cdo/aid/1499/jewish/Remember-Amalek.htm

http://www.jewishmag.com/45mag/messiah/messiah.htm
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:28:11 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Shabbat Zachor : Remember what Amalek did to us on the way....
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 12:44:11 AM »
http://www.sichosinenglish.org/cgi-bin/calendar?holiday=purim111

The Mitzvot Of Purim

Listen to The Megillah

To re-live the miraculous events of Purim, we listen to the reading of the Megillah (the Scroll of Esther) on Purim eve and again on Purim Day. Whenever Haman's name is mentioned, we twirl graggers and stamp our feet to "drown out" his evil name. Tell the children Purim is the only time when it's a mitzvah to make noise!

Send Gifts of Food

On Purim we emphasize the importance of Jewish unity and friendship by sending gifts of food to friends. Send a gift of at least two kinds of ready-to-eat foods (for example, pastry, fruit, beverage), to at least one friend on Purim day. It is proper that men send to men and women to women. Sending these gifts should be done through a third party. Children, in addition to sending their own gifts of food, make enthusiastic messengers.

Give Gifts to the Needy

Concern for the needy is a year-round responsibility for the Jew. On Purim, particularly, it is a special mitzvah to remember the poor. Give charity to at least two, but preferably more, needy individuals on Purim day. The mitzvah is best fulfilled by giving directly to the needy. If, however, you cannot find poor people, place at least several coins into pushkas (charity boxes). Even small children should fulfill this mitzvah.

Eat The Festive Meal

As on all festivals, we celebrate Purim with a special festive meal on Purim Day, when family and friends gather together to rejoice in the Purim spirit.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 03:25:56 AM »
Haftorah for Shabbat Zachor....

The Haftorah for Shabbat Zachor, which we read during Shabbat today, is a fascinating story. I took my mother and step-father to Chabad for Shabbat today where we all fulfilled several mitzvot. One of them was fulfilling the mitzvah of hearing the Maftir reading of Zachor. Today both my step-father and I had aliyahs which I considered a wonderful honor, of which I feel indebted and will surely show my gratitude.

The story of Amalek is intriguing. In todays Haftorah the story of King Saul and the prophet Samuel. Samuel related the prophecy to the King that he must destroy all that is Amalek in this world. Although Saul felt like he was doing the will of Hashem the King decided to use his own reasoning, and instead of killing Amaleks animals and flocks he let them live with the intention of using them in the Temple service.

And he also took it onto himself to allow the King of Agag to live {for a day}. But because of his misplaced 'mercy' the King of Agag was able to have a child, an Ameleki child which eventually bore Haman the Wicked. Haman is the antagonist of the Purim story.

One of the reasons we read this Haftorah on the Shabbat before Purim is to remind us that we must be able to do the will of Hashem even if it goes against our merciful tendencies. If we think we know better than Hashem we are making a very dangerous mistake...

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/TorahReading_cdo/AID/15575/section/haftorah

Haftorah for Parshat Zachor
Shemuel I (I Samuel)
Chapter 15

2. So said the Lord of Hosts, 'I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid (wait) for him on the way, when he came up out of Egypt. 3. Now, go, and you shall smite Amalek, and you shall utterly destroy all that is his, and you shall not have pity on him: and you shall slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.' " 4. And Saul called the people together, and he counted them in Telaim, two hundred thousand footmen, and ten thousand, the men of Judah. 5. And Saul came as far as the city of Amalek, and he fought in the valley. 6. And Saul said to the Kenite, "Turn away and go down from among the Amalekites, lest I destroy you with them, and you did kindness with all the children of Israel, when they went up out of Egypt." And the Kenites turned away from amidst Amalek. 7. And Saul smote Amalek, from Havilah until you come to Shur, which is in front of Egypt. 8. And he seized Agag, the king of Amalek, alive; and he completely destroyed all the people with the edge of the sword. 9. And Saul and the people had pity on Agag, and on the best of the sheep and the cattle, and the fatlings, and on the fattened sheep, and on all that was good; and they did not want to destroy them; but everything which was vile and feeble, that they utterly destroyed. 10. And the word of the Lord came to Samuel, saying, 11. "I regret that I have made Saul king, for he has turned back from following Me, and he has not fulfilled My words." And it distressed Samuel, and he cried out to the Lord all night. 12. And Samuel arose early in the morning to meet Saul; and it was told to Samuel, saying, "Saul has come to Carmel, and behold, he is setting up a place for himself, and he passed and went down to Gilgal." 13. And Samuel came to Saul, and Saul said to him, "May you be blessed of the Lord; I have fulfilled the word of the Lord." 14. And Samuel said, "What then is this bleating of the sheep in my ears? And the lowing of the oxen which I hear?" 15. And Saul said, "They brought them from the Amalekites, for the people had pity on the best of the sheep, and the oxen, in order to sacrifice to the Lord your G-d: and the rest we have utterly destroyed." 16. And Samuel said to Saul, "Desist, and I shall tell you what the Lord spoke to me last night." And he said to him, "Speak." 17. And Samuel said, "Even if you are small in your own eyes, are you not the head of the tribes of Israel? And the Lord anointed you as king over Israel. 18. And the Lord sent you on a mission, and said, 'Go, and you shall utterly destroy the sinners, the Amalekites, and you shall wage war against them until they destroy them.' 19. Now, why did you not hearken to the voice of the Lord, but you flew upon the spoil, and you did what was evil in the eyes of the Lord?" 20. And Saul said to Samuel, "Yes, I did hearken to the voice of the Lord. I did go on the mission on which the Lord sent me, and I brought Agag, the king of Amalek alive, and have utterly destroyed the Amalekites. 21. And the people took from the spoil, sheep and oxen, the best of the ban, to sacrifice to your G-d in Gilgal." 22. And Samuel said, "Has the Lord (as much) desire in burnt offerings and peace-offerings, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than a peace-offering; to hearken (is better) than the fat of rams. 23. For rebellion is as the sin of divination, and stubbornness is as idolatry and teraphim. Since you rejected the word of the Lord, He has rejected you from being a king." 24. And Saul said to Samuel, "I have sinned, for I transgressed the Lord's command, and your words, for I feared the people, and I hearkened to their voice. 25. And now, forgive now my sin, and return with me, and I shall prostrate myself to the Lord." 26. And Samuel said to Saul, "I shall not return with you, for you have rejected the word of the Lord, and the Lord has rejected you from being a king over Israel." 27. And Samuel turned to go, and he seized the skirt of his robe, and it tore. 28. And Samuel said to him, "The Lord has torn the kingdom of Israel from you, today; and has given it to your fellow who is better than you. 29. And also, the Strength of Israel will neither lie nor repent, for He is not a man to repent." 30. And he said, "I have sinned. Now, honor me now in the presence of the elders of my people, and in the presence of Israel, and return with me, and I shall prostrate myself to the Lord your G-d." 31. And Samuel returned after Saul, and Saul prostrated himself to the Lord. 32. And Samuel said, "Bring Agag, the king of Amalek, near to me." And Agag went to him delicately. And Agag said, "Surely, the bitterness of death has turned." 33. And Samuel said, "As your sword bereaved women, so will your mother be bereaved among women." And Samuel hewed Agag in pieces before the Lord in Gilgal. 34. And Samuel went to Ramah, and Saul went up to his house in Gibeah of Saul.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/70532/jewish/Zachor.htm
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 03:31:41 AM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 03:42:11 AM »
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/150871/jewish/Amalek-The-Perpetual-Enemy-of-the-Jewish-People.htm

Recurring Motifs

The conflict between Haman and Mordechai which led to the Purim miracle, was rooted in events that had occurred many centuries earlier. Haman traced his descent to Agag, King of Amalek.1 Mordechai and Esther were scions of the royal family of Shaul, the first king of Israel. When the Jews left Egypt, Amalek was the first nation to attack them. As a result of this the Jews were commanded,2 “When G‑d will relieve you of all your enemies... blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven.”

Several centuries later, after Shaul was crowned king, the prophet Shmuel ordered him to fulfill G‑d’s commandment thus:3 “Smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that is his. And have no pity on him; slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.”

Shaul gathered the Jewish people together and waged war against the Amalekites, slaying the entire nation and destroy­ing their property. However, “he had pity on Agag, and the choicest of the sheep and cattle...,”4 and brought them back with him. Shmuel severely reproached Shaul for this: “Because you have rejected the word of G‑d, He has rejected you as king.”5 Though Shmuel then killed Agag, Agag was able to father a child in the interval between his capture by Shaul and his death. That child was the ancestor of Haman.6

6.    Megillah 13a; Chochmas Enosh on I Shmuel 15:32.