Author Topic: Where is Itamar in the Torah?  (Read 1636 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Where is Itamar in the Torah?
« on: March 18, 2011, 01:25:58 AM »
I recently heard that Itamar is a name from the Torah. I wondered where so I did a search.

This is what I found:

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/662,573/Who-was-Itamar-and-where-in-the-Bible-is-he-mentioned.html

Who was Itamar and where in the Bible is he mentioned?

Itamar was the youngest son of Aaron the High Priest (Exodus 6:23). After his two eldest brothers Nadav and Avihu passed away, he served as a priest along with his older brother, Elazar, who served as High Priest (Numbers 20:28).

During the travels of the Israelites in the desert, he stood at the head of the children of Gershom and Merari, the carriers of the Tabernacle (Numbers 4:28).

He was also in charge of the work of the Levites in general (Exodus 38:21).
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Where is Itamar in the Torah?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 01:32:14 AM »
Remember all the Jewish victims of arab murder/terror in Itamar...

On Jun 21, 2002 another family was brutally murdered by arabs in their home.

The Shabo family was shattered when Rachel Shabo and three of her children were killed in their home by 'palestinian' animals.

I really hope that Israel gets it together and rebuilds and does not retreat from Itamar. What is needed is immediate and deliberate action against those who kill, are plotting to kill, or know people who are plotting to kill.

This story is enough to make your head explode:

http://www.shechem.org/itamar/eshabo.html

The Attack in Itamar

Last night in the Jewish community of Itamar, near Shechem, a Palestinian terrorist broke into a home and deliberately murdered a mother and three of her young children, as well as wounding two of the family's other kids. CNN and other foreign media outlets, in their initial reporting, spoke blandly of the killing of "4 Israeli Jewish settlers", coldly offering little detail as to what happened or how another Israeli family had just been torn apart forever by Palestinian terror.

The Father Hugged the Bodies of His Wife and Three Children

(translation of excerpts of an article on Y-net, the web site of Yediot Aharonot, June 21, 2002. The original article in Hebrew can be found at the following address: http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-1955953,00.html)

A terrorist burst into the home of the Shabo family in Itamar and opened fire. Rachel, the mother of the family, and three of her children, were killed. Another two children were injured. A neighbor who sought to break into the home to help was also killed. After more than an hour of exchanging gunfire with Israeli soldiers, the terrorist was killed. In the course of the exchange, the house caught fire and burned down. By Efrat Weiss and Yediot Aharonot staff

Boaz Shabo and his eldest son Yariv stood last night clutching each other, weeping and refusing to accept the horrible tragedy that had befallen them. A terrorist who had infiltrated into the family home last night in the community of Itamar, south of Shechem (Nablus), had murdered the mother Rachel (age 40), and three of her seven children: Neriyah (age 15), Tzvika (age 12) and Avishai (age 5). Two other children from the family were injured, one of them seriously.

Yossi Tuito (age 40), who served as commander of Itamar's 'preparedness team', was also shot to death when he arrived at the family's house in an attempt to help. Just five months ago, a fifth son was born to Yossi. Until recently, Yossi had worked as an educator in the first grade at the school in Elon Moreh (a nearby community), and had helped children at risk.

The Shabo family, one of the veteran families in Itamar, consisted of 9 souls, but at the time of the attack, it was the mother and five of her children who were at home. The father, Boaz, and two of his other children were not at home at the time of the incident, and were not harmed.

Ahuva Shilo, spokesman for the Samaria Regional Council, told Y-net shortly after the attack: "The father is here next to me. He is standing outside the home, looking at the bodies, seeing his house in flames and hugging the corpses. This is a scene that no film could possibly capture. It is shocking."

Family and friends request persons pray for the immediate and total recovery of the Shabo children, Asael Yonah ben Rachel (leg amputated above the knee), Avia bat Rachel (shot in her chest). The father, Boaz, and his two sons, who are sitting shiva for their wife/mother and three siblings from the massacre had to 'borrow' Tefillin (phylacteries) and talit (prayer shawl) for the morning prayer service as their house was burned down during the attack in which a terrorist took the family hostage. As a result, they are observing the shivaseven-day mourning period in the home of Rachel's mother, in the community of Ginot Shomron.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Christian Zionist

• Master JTFer
  • homosexuality is an abomination to God-Lev.18:22
Re: Where is Itamar in the Torah?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »
I recently heard that Itamar is a name from the Torah. I wondered where so I did a search.

This is what I found:

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/662,573/Who-was-Itamar-and-where-in-the-Bible-is-he-mentioned.html

Who was Itamar and where in the Bible is he mentioned?

Itamar was the youngest son of Aaron the High Priest (Exodus 6:23). After his two eldest brothers Nadav and Avihu passed away, he served as a priest along with his older brother, Elazar, who served as High Priest (Numbers 20:28).

During the travels of the Israelites in the desert, he stood at the head of the children of Gershom and Merari, the carriers of the Tabernacle (Numbers 4:28).

He was also in charge of the work of the Levites in general (Exodus 38:21).

Itamar's descendents held the High Priesthood in ancient Israel for quite a few centuries.

Eli was descendant of Itamar, then it continued upto Abiathar, son of Ahimelech, High Priest during the reign of King David and the early years of Solomon, deposed by Solomon later (1 Kings 2:2-4). 5th Generation descendant of Eli.

During Solomon's period the priesthood changed to the descendants of Eleazer continued until the destruction of the 2nd temple.

Abiathar, son of Ahimelech, High Priest during the reign of King David and the early years of Solomon, deposed (1 Kings 2:2-4). 5th Generation descendant of Eli

Zadok, son of Ahitub (son of Amariah, son of Meraioth, son of Zerahiah, son of Uzzi — 1 Chr 6:6-8) of the line of Eleazar, High Priest during the reign of King Solomon and the construction of the First Temple.  It seems the priesthood had never changed back to Itamar's line after Abiathar was deposed by King Solomon.  I could be wrong.

Actually in the Torah God promised everlasting priesthood to the descendants of Eleazer (through his son) because his son Pinehas killed the midanite woman and the guy who committed prostitution and stopped the plague among the Israelites.

Numbers 25:10 - 13
10 The LORD said to Moses, 11 “Phinehas son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron, the priest, has turned my anger away from the Israelites. Since he was as zealous for my honor among them as I am, I did not put an end to them in my zeal. 12 Therefore tell him I am making my covenant of peace with him. 13 He and his descendants will have a covenant of a lasting priesthood, because he was zealous for the honor of his God and made atonement for the Israelites.”

Therefore it makes sense to believe that Abiathar was the last High priest in Itamar's line.

The city of Itamar where the recent murder took place actually belonged to the tribe of Manasseh.  It is very close (about 3 miles from Shechem (modern day Nablus) where Joseph's bones were buried and Jacob's well was also believed to be located near by.

In fac
Isaiah 62:1 -  For Zion's sake I am not silent, And for Jerusalem's sake I do not rest, Till her righteousness go out as brightness, And her salvation, as a torch that burns.