Author Topic: This guy in my class fasts every Wednesday and Friday. Is this a real thing?  (Read 673 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
When I told this guy in my class that it was a Jewish fast day yesterday, he told me that his fast days are every Wednesday and Friday. He said he was Roman Catholic or something like that. Was he just jerking my chains or is this a real thing? The guy seems like he could be a major time feigele so maybe he hates Jews and was purposely trying to screw with my head (ew, not literally).

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
But I think they consider it "fasting" to not eat meat or something like that, even though they are eating other foods.  Zenith mentioned this recently in the Judaism thread.  Maybe he's referring to that.

Offline Ithaca-37

• Senior JTFer
To be honest, it sounds to me like you're looking for a reason to take offence.  There are many sincere Christians who fast as a matter of self-discipline.  And what constitutes fasting can vary, from just lighter meals to no solid food whatsoever.

Observant Catholics maintain a tradition of not eating meat on Fridays, particularly during Lent.  Over-and-above observant Catholics might do this every Friday.  It's usually referred to as 'abstaining'.  According to that tradition, fish is acceptable in place of pork, beef, chicken, etc.  That's why Catholics churches, to this day, will hold fish fry events on Friday.

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
To be honest, it sounds to me like you're looking for a reason to take offence.  There are many sincere Christians who fast as a matter of self-discipline.  And what constitutes fasting can vary, from just lighter meals to no solid food whatsoever.

Observant Catholics maintain a tradition of not eating meat on Fridays, particularly during Lent.  Over-and-above observant Catholics might do this every Friday.  It's usually referred to as 'abstaining'.  According to that tradition, fish is acceptable in place of pork, beef, chicken, etc.  That's why Catholics churches, to this day, will hold fish fry events on Friday.

Oh come on Mo, you know he is yanking your chain I  have met you, and you are bright guy. There is a reason you may be annoyed , you are realizing he probably being a jerk  or showing off. (Fasting 2x a week LOL)

• Ultimate JTFer
Oh come on Mo, you know he is yanking your chain I  have met you, and you are bright guy. There is a reason you may be annoyed , you are realizing he probably being a jerk  or showing off. (Fasting 2x a week LOL)
he said it's only 12 hours each time..... could be 12-12 or something, who knows? He doesn't seem the type to lie about that.....I will question him more on Tuesday to see if it's legit, but the only Christians I have a relationship with are the ones on the forum so any shaylahs I have about gentile halacha usually end up here.

• Ultimate JTFer
But I think they consider it "fasting" to not eat meat or something like that, even though they are eating other foods.  Zenith mentioned this recently in the Judaism thread.  Maybe he's referring to that.
good call, will find out