Author Topic: South Korean TALMUD Mavens?  (Read 3232 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
South Korean TALMUD Mavens?
« on: March 28, 2011, 05:47:28 PM »
I find this story very embarrassing...

http://israelmatzav.blogspot.com/2011/03/south-koreans-having-mandatory-talmud.html

Nearly 50 million South Koreans are now studying Talmud every day. And they don't use Artscroll.

Close to 50 million people live in South Korea, and everyone learns Gemara (Talmud) in school. "We tried to understand why the Jews are geniuses, and we came to the conclusion that it is because they study Talmud," said the Korean ambassador to Israel. And this is how "Rav Papa" became a more well known scholar in Korea than in Israel.

It is doubtful if the Amoraic scholars, Abbaye and Rava imagined their discussions of Jewish law in the Beit Midrash in Babylon would be taught hundreds of years later in East Asia. Yet it turns out that the laws of an "egg born on a holiday" ("ביצה שנולדה ביום טוב") is actually very interesting to the South Koreans who have required that Talmud study be part of their compulsory school curriculum.

Almost every home in South Korea now contains a Korean-translated Talmud. But unlike in Israel, the Korean mothers teach the Talmud to their children. In a country of close to 49 million people who believe in Buddhism and Christianity, there are more people who read the Talmud - or at least own their own copy at home - more than in the Jewish state. Much more.

"So we too will become geniuses"

"We were very curious about the high academic achievements of the Jews," explains Israel's ambassador to South Korea, Young Sam Mah, that was a host on the program "culture today."

"Jews have a high percentage of Nobel laureates in all fields: literature, science and economics. This is a remarkable achievement. We tried to understand what is the secret of the Jewish people? How they - more than other people - are able to reach those impressive accomplishments? Why are Jews so intelligent? The conclusion we arrived at is that one of your secrets is that you study the Talmud."

"Jews study the Talmud at a young age, and it helps them, in our opinion, to develop mental capabilities. This understanding led us to teach our children as well. We believe that if we teach our children Talmud, they will also become geniuses. This is what stands behind the rationale of introducing Talmud Study to our school curriculum."

I can't guarantee it will help them, but I can tell you that it's something we Jews have suspected for years.

http://muqata.blogspot.com/2011/03/talmud-study-now-mandatory-in-south.html
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: South Korean TALMUD Mavens?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 06:24:39 PM »
I've read recently that Chinese are interested in the Jewish "secrete" and they sent an expedition of teachers and academics to Israel where they received lectures about Mikra, Gmara etc.

I think it's interesting and I would like to see how the Koreans study in practice and what are the results. I am sure talmudic logic would seem very odd to them.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 06:26:49 PM »
BTW, what ashame it is that Talmud study is mandatory in Korea while in Israel our pupils in the secular schools are completely ignorant about it.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 08:12:22 PM »
It's a little bit funny because... Don't the Koreans realize that the vast majority of Jews who become Nobel Laureates are the secular educated, assimilated, reformist Jews who probably never even saw a Talmud in their life, let alone learned any of it.     Because of this, I view the Koreans as not too bright, although they do have a good idea investigate this matter and see if it has to do with the Jewish intelligence.   But it seems rather than investigate, they have simply adopted a position without proof, and their basis for that position is humorously flimsy.

Offline The proud Jew

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:01:59 PM »
I say kol hakavod to S.korea

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
American constitutional law is based on talmudic logic.

Just to read the talmud might help in making someone think smarter, but if he doesn't practice the righteousness that it teaches, then really you only have a country filled with smart people who are competing against Gd's justice.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline IsraeliGovtAreKapos

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 11:19:39 AM »
All the "frum" frawning over this earthquaking item makes me literally sick. In fact Gentiles are forbidden from learning oral law for precisely this reason: they see the methodism but not the divinity. Do you all lack self esteem to the point you need THIS to reaffirm your faith? pure insanity

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:22:27 AM »
All the "frum" frawning over this earthquaking item makes me literally sick. In fact Gentiles are forbidden from learning oral law for precisely this reason: they see the methodism but not the divinity. Do you all lack self esteem to the point you need THIS to reaffirm your faith? pure insanity

I did not post if for any reason other than to motive Jews to learn and teach Talmud. I don't condone the fact that they are reading it. But I doubt that they have the wisdom to truly understand it as the Jewish people understand it.

It is just very interesting...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 11:38:34 AM »
Yes, it is interesting how others are more interested than the Jews themselves.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 11:46:46 AM »
Yes, it is interesting how others are more interested than the Jews themselves.

'interesting' is a sad word to use... The whole story, as I originally said, is embarassing...

I find this story very embarrassing...

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 12:07:37 PM »
I am not sure you are right in this case. It is unlike the case of academic Jew-haters who "study" the Jewish texts for the sole purpose of desecrating the Torah and destroying halacha. The Koreans are indeed interested in the methodolog, but do you know of any halachic guidance to keep it a secrete ?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »
I am not sure you are right in this case. It is unlike the case of academic Jew-haters who "study" the Jewish texts for the sole purpose of desecrating the Torah and destroying halacha. The Koreans are indeed interested in the methodolog, but do you know of any halachic guidance to keep it a secrete ?

I do believe that the Oral law was intended to be kept by the Jewish people. It is our pride and our heritage, and it was given directly to Moses and passed down through the Mesorah. I have heard it said that the Oral Law should not be taught to non-Jews. But I am not sure what actual Halakahs are involved...

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 02:05:24 PM »
As a non-Jew I do admire the book.
If I wanted the Jews money and his genius, even if I don't convert or even if I do a phony conversion, just following the rules and discipline I would be more successful.
But I also believe that this would be true only if I put it to good use otherwise I'll end up with a book like the koran.
After all mohammed stole from the bibile and come up with that ranting.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 03:24:18 PM »
Anyone can read the talmud, but to be a jew, you need to have the soul of a jew.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 03:39:54 PM »
They are not really studying the Talmud update                            http://elderofziyon.blogspot.com/2011/03/more-on-korean-talmud-studies-not-quite.html
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »
They are not really studying the Talmud update                            http://elderofziyon.blogspot.com/2011/03/more-on-korean-talmud-studies-not-quite.html

Whew... I am happy to hear that... I could not imagine that they would study the Talmud like the Jews have studied and taught the Talmud..

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 03:56:17 PM »
Whew... I am happy to hear that... I could not imagine that they would study the Talmud like the Jews have studied and taught the Talmud..

I think it's more like they're studying bit and pieces of the Midrash
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 04:56:48 PM »

So, just how do I get this "Jewish soul"?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »

Forget about soul, want to get rich ?read this book: “The Jewish People’s Bible for Business and Managing the World”
A best seller in China ;)
http://www.theblogofrecord.com/2009/01/19/the-jewish-peoples-bible-for-business-and-managing-the-world/

edit: another source: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3531164,00.html
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:56:41 PM by Zelhar »

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 05:52:01 PM »
Lol.  To amuse themselves with a few talmudic sayings as pure entertainment like a card collecting hobby or a game of hopskotch or "nice literature" is exactly how the chachamim in their teachings urge the goyim NOT to treat the Torah in this aloof manner and it is this very offense for which the sages say such a person is deserving of death penalty.  (Not that we put him to death legally but its a phrase also used to convey the depravity of a given act to say the person deserves death).

This is precisely what it means when they say it is forbidden to teach the nonJews Torah!  That's a conditional statement which applies only to those nonJews who wish to look at it as entertainment and hobby but not to live their lives in devotion to its teachings and principles.  It sounds like the koreans are doing exactly the former!   :o

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 06:26:48 PM »

Either be born a jew or convert

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »
Why do so many threads which have an interesting point of view get blown away to smithereens by people on this forum who must destroy everything they touch?  I am not speaking about everyone on this thread, but I'm amazed that even in people's love or interest in our culture, there are those who just want to kill kill kill

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 08:07:57 PM »
Where is there any comment on killing?

The bottom line of this thread is that some people felt that it was nice that somebody accepted us. Except we read between the lines. We should only seek acceptance from Gd.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 08:21:39 PM »
Where is there any comment on killing?

The bottom line of this thread is that some people felt that it was nice that somebody accepted us. Except we read between the lines. We should only seek acceptance from Gd.

Hi Dr. Dan,

I didn't mean 'kill kill kill' in the literal sense. 

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 08:49:34 PM »
Why do so many threads which have an interesting point of view get blown away to smithereens by people on this forum who must destroy everything they touch?  I am not speaking about everyone on this thread, but I'm amazed that even in people's love or interest in our culture, there are those who just want to kill kill kill

lol, I really hope you're not referring to my comment.   It is well known that the chachamim say that it is forbidden to teach the gentile Torah (presumably Oral Torah), and that to do so as an academic hobby rather than treating it with the proper reverence it deserves is one is deserving of death (again, we don't put them to death, it just means they are very against the perturbed act).