Author Topic: I need a free internet filter  (Read 1004 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
I need a free internet filter
« on: April 05, 2011, 02:15:01 PM »
Can someone please private msg me if he/she knows where to download a free internet filter? Thanks a ton.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: I need a free internet filter
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:33:22 PM »
Can someone please private msg me if he/she knows where to download a free internet filter? Thanks a ton.
Why    http://www1.k9webprotection.com/
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »
What kind of filter?

Blacklist? Ad-Filter? What kind of content to block?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:41:41 PM »
Try:
opendns.com
You have to sign up, the change your dns to their servers.
They're free. I use it for my son's computer.
It filters by category and domain. And you can't by-pass domain names by IP (in most cases).
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:54:07 PM »
What kind of filter?

Blacklist? Ad-Filter? What kind of content to block?

for the tayva hagadol

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »
for the tayva hagadol

I think I know... That is a tough one...

Here is a site which discusses some of the Internet filtering options:

Jewish Internet filters:

http://www.guardureyes.com/GUE/Filters/J_FilterChoices_US.asp

Non-Jewish Internet filters:

http://www.guardureyes.com/GUE/Filters/NJ_FilterChoices.asp

http://www.hareidi.org/en/index.php/Hareidi.org's_Internet_Filter

Rabbinic response

There have been several Rabbinic admonitions against the use of the internet.[3][4][5][6]

In 5765 (2005), after examining internet filtering technology, various ISP's offering "kosher" service, and reviewing the number of case where individuals in religious households were affected by this problem, the halachic authorities of several important hareidi communities ruled that current technology does not provide adequate safeguards to prevent these problems. It was ruled that internet usage must be minimized and in most cases eliminated, and for the first time the Gedolei Hador took the unusual step of requiring physical security of any internet appliance, and externally verifiable compliance by religious households.

Reducing usage means "casual" internet usage is forbidden. This means that using the internet for entertainment, online shopping or even education is not allowed. In general the only two permitted reasons for using the internet were parnasa (making a living) and kiruv (jewish outreach).

Physical security means that any internet capable device must be disabled, even if not physically connected at the time to an internet service provider. Desktop computers, laptops and palm computers must stored in a locked room, and whenever they are used, they should not be used in such a way to lead others in the household (particularly children) to think that being used in a casual way.

Externally verifiable compliance means that individuals are not trusted[7] to decide for themselves whether their usage qualifies as allowed usage, but are required to go to ask a shailah of a Rabbinical authority and receive a legal decision.

In summary, it was decided in 2005 that internet filters and add-on software were considered inadequate and of no consequence, due to the "mistakes" these systems make and the ease that they can be bypassed (by connecting alternate software, proxies, or even using the account on another machine). It is clear that the ideal hareidi home is without a computer, much less one connected to the internet.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14