Author Topic: Hallel on whatever day the secular government picks for Yom Haatzmaut  (Read 2745 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
According to my research even though Israel had a miracle during the war for Independence, we still shouldn't say Hallel on Yom Haatzmaut (Israel Ind. Day). However, the rabbi who I asked said I should say it without a bracha at the beginning and end of Halllel, so I obediently comply. I know Rabbi Kahane's yeshiva says it with a bracha.
This year, the whole Hallel business makes even less sense to me than usual.
It was decided to change the date of Yom Haatzmaut celebrations from Monday 5th of Iyar to Tuesday 6th of iyar, so that when Israel's memorial day which falls one day before Yom Haatzmaut is observed, it will fall on a Monday and not Sunday to reduce Sabbath Desecration.
There is no halacha whatsover that requires a Memorial day before Yom Haatzmaut. This is just a desire of the secular Knesset. If so, even if you hold we should say Hallel on the 5th of Iyar, why change the date, just because it isn't convenient for the Knesset?
And what if the Knesset one day pushes off Independence Day Celebrations to the 7th of Iyar, due to some important sports championship. Would you still push off your Hallel prayers to that day?
One should note also that we say Hallel on Shabbat of Chanuka. This indicates, Sabbath Desecration fears should have no impact on whether we do or don't say Hallel!

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Edu, I don't understand what you're saying.  If we did have a miracle, then halachically, we should say Hallel.

Also, I must say that the whole idea of hallel without a bracha is self-defeating.  Either you are saying Hallel, or you're not saying hallel.   Without a bracha, you're not really doing the halachic procedure of "reciting hallel," you're just reading some pesukim which we can do every day if we want.

Here is an interesting article on the subject, for Hebrew readers:  http://www.news1.co.il/Archive/003-D-47239-00.html
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:16:42 PM by Kahane-Was-Right BT »

• Gold Star JTF Member
Here is an article in English where Rabbi bar Hayim discusses some of the underlying halachic and philosophical issues facing us at this time, regarding the Independence Day celebration and recitation of hallel.  He recommends a special Al Hanissim prayer to be incorporated into the davening.   Indeed last year I said the al hanissim he composed for Yom Yerushalayim, and I believe I probably said this one for Independence day as well, but can't remember.  I know I said hallel with bracha though, for sure.

http://machonshilo.org/en/eng/component/content/article/34-featured/297-al-hanissim-for-yom-haassmauth-and-yom-yerushalayim

• Gold Star JTF Member
Related to your question about the timing of when we say Hallel, here is some explanation I received this year about it.  (I remember last year Rabbi Bar Hayim discussed it similarly when I attended his minyan in the days leading up to the chag.   There is a halachic problem in departing from the practice of the entire nation as Rabbi Goren ZTL pointed out.

"Meshulash" for Yom Tekuma Yisrael (Yom HaAtzmaout)
(To download the Al HaNissim prayer, go to http://machonshilo.org/en/images/stories/files/Al_HaNissim_YA_YY_Revised.pdf)

As was the case last year, the observance of Yom HaAtzmaout is on the 6th of Iyyar although the State of Israel was actually declared on the 5th of Iyyar.

The holiday was delayed so that the Memorial Day Services of the 4th of Iyyar could begin tonight--Sunday night--rather than Saturday night and preserve the sanctity of the Shabbat avoid the temptation to prepare for the various ceremonies or drive to them on the Shabbat.

If Judaism lends importance to actual date of an event, how can we reconcile the following issues:

* While Rav Goren zt"l ruled that the proper day should be observed, how can we separate ourselves from the public who observes the deferred day?
    * When should we recite the Hallel prayer? Isn't the recitation of the Hallel a prayer in vain if we're not saying it on the day of the miracle?
    * When do we add the Al-HaNissim prayer to our Birkath HaMazon and Shmona Esray?

Read the rest of the story at http://kitniyot.blogspot.com

I have posted the rest here:

Rav Bar-Hayyim suggests that we look to "Purim Meshulash" for the answer and rules that the festivities and customs of the day should be divided into two:

* On the 5th of Iyyar (tonight and Monday), we should include the Al HaNissim additions to the Shmona Esray and the Birkat HaMazon. The special Torah reading should also be said on this day. These actions commemorate and sanctify the actual day of the event.
    * On the 6th of Iyyar (Monday night and Tuesday), we should join the public celebrations of the deferred day and recite Hallel (with a beracha), Shechechiyanu and the "She Assa Nissim" prayers. This enables us to commemorate and sanctify the observed date and join the public celebrations.

The additions to the tefila should occur even when the 5th of Iyyar is observed as the Memorial Day for fallen Israeli soldiers and those who were murdered in terrorist attacks.

This is the case this year. To download the Al HaNissim prayer, go to http://machonshilo.org/en/images/stories/files/Al_HaNissim_YA_YY_Revised.pdf

Chag Sameach LeGeulah Shelayma!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
I recently read that they are doing something similar in moving the celebration of Lag B'Omer because it falls on Saturday night and they don't want people violating Shabbat to light the bonfires which are customarily lit on Lag B'Omer.

I realize that this is not an issue of saying Hallel, but it seems that some people are inclined to change the dates of certain holidays in order to protect the Shabbat.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/143928

Rabbis: Save the Sabbath, Change Lag BaOmer
by Hillel Fendel

A religious-Zionist rabbinical organization is working to have Lag BaOmer bonfires postponed by a day, in order to prevent Sabbath desecration.

The Tzohar Rabbis Organization, which calls itself a “window between worlds” – the secular and the religious – has contacted the Education Minister, the Chief Rabbis, and others in an effort to effect the change.

Lag BaOmer, the 33rd day of the Omer period between Passover (Pesach) and Pentecost (Shavuot), is the anniversary of the death of the holy Sage Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai nearly 2,000 years ago. It also marks the end of a period of partial mourning over the plague that killed thousands of Torah students 1,900 years ago.

The nationwide custom in Israel for decades, based on the practice in many communities and dating back to Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai himself, is to light bonfires. The central bonfire is lit at Rabbi Shimon’s grave in Meron, in the Galilee, and is accompanied by night-long singing and dancing in honor of Rabbi Shimon and the Kabbalistic teachings he disseminated.

“When Lag BaOmer falls on Saturday night and Sunday,” Tzohar director Rabbi David Stav told Israel National News, “as it does this year, instead of honoring Rabbi Shimon’s memory, it is widely desecrated. This is mainly because of the bonfires, preparations for which – by the police, fire department, and the public at large – begin at the height of the Sabbath day. Some of the fires around the country are actually lit on the Sabbath.”

Tzohar is therefore calling upon the Chief Rabbinate to officially declare that when Lag BaOmer falls on Saturday night, the commemorations should be held a day later. “The Rabbinate made this decision regarding Independence Day, and they can do the same regarding Lag BaOmer,” Rabbi Stav said.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
The Gemara offers 3 reasons why we don't say Hallel on Purim even though a miracle occurred.
Reason 1] The miracle took place primarily outside of the land of Israel [although there was some fighting in the land of Israel too at the time against the allies of Haman]
Reason 2] The reading of the Megilla takes the place of Hallel
Reason 3] Although there was a miracle, even after the whole episode of Purim ended, we remained servants of Achashverosh and the Persian empire.
Mishna Brura rules in accordance with Reason 3.

Now let's look at the precedent of Purim for changing Holiday Celebrations for the sake of Shabbat.
In Jerusalem, when Shushan Purim falls out on Shabbat. The Megilla reading is moved up before Shabbat
Al Hanissim is said on Shabbat. And the partying aspect of Purim is done on Sunday. That is to say some but not all of the activities regarding the direct Thanks to G-d are pushed forward not backward. While some remain on Shabbat.
In the case of Israel Ind. Day the Prayers this year are being pushed back another day.

• Gold Star JTF Member
The Gemara offers 3 reasons why we don't say Hallel on Purim even though a miracle occurred.
Reason 1] The miracle took place primarily outside of the land of Israel [although there was some fighting in the land of Israel too at the time against the allies of Haman]
Reason 2] The reading of the Megilla takes the place of Hallel
Reason 3] Although there was a miracle, even after the whole episode of Purim ended, we remained servants of Achashverosh and the Persian empire.
Mishna Brura rules in accordance with Reason 3.

And reason 3 has nothing to do with what happened in 1948.

Aside from that, it makes little sense to say he (or anyone) "ruled" in such a case, as if he "decided" it definitively and/or legally.   How do you decide history?  He picked the option that he thought was the best explanation.   The gemara gave 3 possibilities.  They are all possible.  And they are not mutually exclusive either.

Now let's look at the precedent of Purim for changing Holiday Celebrations for the sake of Shabbat.
In Jerusalem, when Shushan Purim falls out on Shabbat. The Megilla reading is moved up before Shabbat
Al Hanissim is said on Shabbat. And the partying aspect of Purim is done on Sunday. That is to say some but not all of the activities regarding the direct Thanks to G-d are pushed forward not backward. While some remain on Shabbat.
In the case of Israel Ind. Day the Prayers this year are being pushed back another day.

Similarly, the day for al hanissim is not changed in this case either.  
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 02:14:18 AM by Kahane-Was-Right BT »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
I haven't listened to this but apparently many people ask this question...

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Radio/News.aspx/3109

Audio: Should You Say Hallel on Yom Haatzmaut?
5/10/2011 10:35:00 AM
A7 Radio's "Welcome to the Tribe" with Gabriella Licsko

How do different Israelis celebrate Independence Day? Learn about the similarities & differences of different sectors of society such as haredim, secular Israelis, religious Zionists and hasidic groups and their attitudes about Yom Haatzmaut.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14