Author Topic: Shalom  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Dan Ben Noah

• Full JTFer
Shalom
« on: May 08, 2011, 04:36:37 PM »
Shalom
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:03:51 AM by Dan Ben Noah »
Jeremiah 16:19 O Lord, Who are my power and my strength and my refuge in the day of trouble, to You nations will come from the ends of the earth and say, "Only lies have our fathers handed down to us, emptiness in which there is nothing of any avail!

Zechariah 8:23 So said the Lord of Hosts: In those days, when ten men of all the languages of the nations shall take hold of the skirt of a Jewish man, saying, "Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you."

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Rejoicing over the enemies’ death: A Biblical concept
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 05:01:25 PM »
Yasher Koach Dan.

I think that some Jews don't realize that if we really prohibited celebrating over an enemy's death, we would have to annul the entire holiday of Purim.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 08:11:02 PM »
Yasher Koach Dan.

I think that some Jews don't realize that if we really prohibited celebrating over an enemy's death, we would have to annul the entire holiday of Purim.

Dont forget Channukah...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 08:22:05 PM »
But I will once again add the mention that the only time one should rejoice in the fall of the enemy is when we see that the downfall of the enemies of Hashem, and not our own personal enemies we have created because of our own personal situation. The Torah clearly says that we should never take pleasure in the downfall of our personal enemies.

And the issue to always remember is that our enemies themselves are messengers from Hashem. Hashem himself sends us our enemies. He is the one who gave the Egyptians the power to enslave us. Torah teaches us that the Jews were destined to be enslaved, and the Egyptians provided a good place for them to be enslaved. So the Egyptians were only fulfilling the promise which Hashem made to Abraham, that his descendants would be strangers in a land of exile. But the Egyptians subjugated the children of Israel too much, and caused Hashem to smite them with plagues, signs and wonders.

The Jews surely sang at the sea because it was divine justice which was witnessed there. When they said, "This is my G-d and I will build him a sanctuary" they actually pointed with their fingers because they were able to virtually see Hashems divine providence. They were rejoicing because the sea spit the Egyptians onto the seashore. While the angels, according to the midrash, were admonished not to sing because Hashem was disappointed because the Egyptians were also his creations.

During the Purim story we know that the purim feast is to remind us of the party which the wicked King Achashveros held in order to get the Jews to desecrate the holy vessels of the Temple. We also remember the great military victory the Jews had because Hashem performed an open miracle. The Jews should not have won that war but with Hashems divine providence we saw our enemies fall before us. The Jews were on an incredible level, some say even higher than the level they were on when they accepted Torah at Sinai.

Hashem sends all of our adversaries against us for a reason. So that we should trust in him, and not in man. We should rejoice that Hashem is righteous, he is just, and he is faithful to those who trust in him. I rejoice only because I know that the wicked will be judged and they will receive justice. I also rejoice because I know this will send a sign that terrorists cannot kill innocent people without paying a price. I realize this is not the end of the war and it is not yet time to celebrate completely.

http://www.aish.com/tp/i/m/48922257.html
EMOTION VERSUS INTELLECT

The Exodus experience was loaded with powerful spiritual impact. The miracles of the plagues and the parting of the waters of the Sea of Reeds had the capacity to bring the Divine Presence into such sharp focus that it became a part of perceived physical reality. The song that Israel sang as they crossed the dry seabed contained the following phrase: "This is my God and I will build Him a Sanctuary; the God of my father and I will exalt Him" (Exodus 15:2). Rashi, in the name of the Midrash, writes: God revealed Himself so openly to the Jews that they were able to point to His Presence and say to each other, "Look over there! You see, that is God!"
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 08:38:49 PM »
That is true, all the examples I gave are situations where they are praising G-d for destroying the enemies of Israel.  It is not talking about people they had a personal beef with, as the Torah states in the passage below:

Leviticus 19:18 “‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

That is an important mitzvah. We just read that in last weeks Parasha...

It is the basis of the laws of Lashon Hara also:

http://www.torah.org/learning/halashon/review1.html

II. Commandments Regarding Lashon Hara

There are many commandments, positive and negative, which can be violated when someone speaks Lashon Hara. Two negative and two positive examples:

(1) Leviticus 19:15, "Lo telech rachil b'ameicha," - Do not go about as a talebearer among your people. This is the basic prohibition against speaking Lashon Hara.

(2) Leviticus 19:14, "Lifnei 'iver lo titen michshol" - Do not place a stumbling block before the blind. One who involves himself in Lashon Hara is helping others to violate the prohibitions as well.

(3) Deuteronomy 24:9, "Zachor et asher asa H' Elokeicha l'Miriam" - Remember what G-d did to Miriam. When Miriam spoke negatively against her brother Moses, she was afflicted with tzara'at (leprosy).

(4) Leviticus 19:18, "V'ahavta l'rei'echa kamocha" - Love your neighbor as yourself. This is the source of the "do unto others" rule, that we should treat others the way we would want to be treated.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 08:43:56 PM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 08:45:22 PM »
But the final word is that there is no reason a Jew should not rejoice in the downfall of OBL... To think otherwise is just plain and simple misunderstanding of the Torah sources.

PS: I just realized that a person who doesn't think OBL is evil might not find a reason to rejoice his downfall. But anyone who doesn't believe this was one of the most evil men in history is a loon.

Online cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 08:55:39 PM »
I don't actually see the point of rejoicing over the death of someone like OBL but it gives comfort and satisfaction knowing he is no longer around to cause harm and destruction.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:32:02 PM »
Unfortunately, there are more like Bin Laden.