Author Topic: Malware Scanner Finds 5% of Windows PCs Infected  (Read 966 times)

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
Malware Scanner Finds 5% of Windows PCs Infected
« on: May 29, 2011, 12:06:10 AM »
"According to statistics generated by Microsoft's new free malware scanning and scrubbing tool, Safety Scanner, one in every twenty Windows PCs are infected with malware. Microsoft's Safety Scanner was downloaded 420,000 times in just one week of availability and it cleaned up malware or signs of exploitation from more than 20,000 Windows PCs, according to statistics generated by Microsoft's Malware Protection Center. This resulted in an infection rate of nearly 5%."

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9217113/New_malware_scanner_finds_5_of_Windows_PCs_infected

Just a reminder, always remember to scan your machine every few weeks. The rate may actually be much higher than 5%.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is free and one of the best scanners out:
http://malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Re: Malware Scanner Finds 5% of Windows PCs Infected
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
On a similar note, be aware of phishing scams that make it look like you've logged out of your email or facebook account, and you need to sign back in.  These are really common ways of getting your password and username.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 02:39:00 AM »
My computer as of recently has gotten really slow especially when trying to watch youtube videos.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 06:52:08 AM »
After i use my spyware terminator which when doing  a full spyware scan claims it has removed all spyware,malware etc .I go to my spybot which can take up to 1/2 hr sure enough my spybot will find something.BTW both are free to download
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline jbeige

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 07:54:09 AM »
Everyone should remember just don't download any spyware cleaner make sure it's from a verified company because sometimes the spyware cleaner you're downloading might be the thing that is going to infect your computer.
Beware of pop-ups that want to download anything onto your computer.

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:33:07 AM »
If you internet on a guest account on your computer, nothing can install itself without you knowing it.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 12:57:26 PM »
In Linux the 'kill' command is your friend...

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?kill
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:03:16 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 05:44:24 PM »
Facebook/Internet-security:

ALWAYS "internet" on a 'guestaccount' on your computer, not an 'administrator'-account.
A 'guest'-account has NO AUTHORITY to install ANY software, INCLUDING malware, spyware, keyloggers etcetera.

{}

-Use, whenever possible, a SECURED connection: HTTPS. You can change this in the account security section.
-HIDE your e-mail address from EVERYONE.
-Use 15-digit passwords looking like this: 15$fqc75*b#ml7!7
-CHANGE your password every week.
-Do NOT use hotmail.
-Go to "account settings", "account security", then scroll down to "login approvals", it sends code to your phone, so if an unrecognised computer tries to log in to your facebook, they have to enter the code that facebook sends to your phone.

{}

FB Security – Steve Clayton - 25th May 2011

FB is inherently weak, but there is much you can do to protect yourselves against hacking and virus attacks. This may seem like hard work, but believe me, it is better to invest a little time now, than to have to rebuild a new account, find your friends again, and all those little memories that may be stored in your FB account. So lets get started:

Passwords: Your first defence is a strong password. Hackers have software that they use to automate guessing a password. FB (unlike many other systems) does not have a defence against multiple login attempts (some platforms allow 3 to 5 tries then disable the account temporarily to guard against this). Start with a base Password. This should be at least 12, preferably 15 mixed letters/numbers/symbols long. Example Px3298!hzA4!kc9!. You can invent your own, and write it down, it is a “Red Herring”. Use a different password for each online service (FB, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.). Since I have more than 9 online logins I change just 2 digits in my password to login in with a different password to each. Never use the base Password, just the derived version, I keep the details in a small spreadsheet with the base password at the top, then the 2 digits I change listed against each service, just in case I do get forgetful, and a copy on a memory stick, in case I need to go some place else. I use a Firefox Browser that stores those logins for me, so it is no hardship when set up properly.

Next we head for FB, Account Tab, then Privacy Settings. Click the Customise link (bottom right) then set each option to “Friends Only” except Contact Information, which should be set to “You Only”. There are two reasons for doing this. If your contact information is public then the hacker is halfway there as the email address can be the user name of many logins, also you need your email addresses (if you do not have two, then get a second) for recovery. You can share those personal details with friends in a Private Message, NEVER ON THE WALL!

Next we head for the “Account Security” option. This is where the way you use FB should dictate how you set this up. If, like me, you only ever log in from a single laptop, you can set up all three options. Use secure browsing (HTTPS) is for all, but that may disable certain Games Apps, however it firmly shuts the back door to viruses and hackers alike. I have the email option set, and the text message set as well. Since I only use this specific Laptop, any other computer with an IP address other than mine is blocked until I say it is OK. Another reason to hide email/telephone information.

Right, our Internet Trousers have the belt & braces, we just need the piece of string. On the Account, Settings tab you will find an option to “Download Your Information”. Does take a while but do it at least once a week. You will get a Zip file from FB, save it on your hard drive, it contains everything you will need to recreate your account in the unlikely event that you do get hacked.

Finally, stay away from known or suspected hackers pages, they have software that can nick details from yours if you make that link. Hope this is helpful.

{}

A keylogger is any program that sits on your computer, and quietly records every keystroke you type. It can then send these keystrokes back to some collecting computer somewhere on the internet. The only truly secure way to use the internet, is to boot an operating system from a read-only medium (e.g. cd or dvd) AND to make sure that your connection between your endpoint server is encrypted (https). Really, it is remarkably easy for a neighbour to even be hacked into your wifi, and to be recording every network packet between your computer and your wifi router. They could do this e.g. by sitting in a car outside your house. If you can see your neighbours' wifi networks listed (even if they are marked with a padlock meaning 'secure'), they can be hacked into.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 10:46:32 PM »
ALWAYS "internet" on a 'guestaccount' on your computer, not an 'administrator'-account.
A 'guest'-account has NO AUTHORITY to install ANY software, INCLUDING malware, spyware, keyloggers etcetera.

The problem is, Spiraling Leopard, not everyone knows how to do that or feels comfortable enough setting something like that up.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline yosii

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 12:00:56 AM »
Just install Linux, without wine, and spyware can't run.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 12:05:41 AM »
Just install Linux, without wine, and spyware can't run.

I like how you think... I run Ubuntu 10.10 on my home machine and Ubuntu 8.04 on my machine at work...

Every user is not a root user, unless you use sudo... So a regular user usually cannot install new system software...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14