Author Topic: Very lonely on Shabbat  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
Very lonely on Shabbat
« on: June 06, 2011, 11:02:36 AM »
I would like to spend a shabbat with hassidim , I am very lonely on Shabbat (all by myself) anyone have any info?
I have lots of friends but not are religious

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:12:34 AM by Chai »

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
Re: very lonely on Shabbat
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 12:29:22 PM »

Aren't you a member of a local community ? You're not alone when you attend services, plus hospitality is a well known mitzva on shabbat and if the community's members are true Jews, they will invite you.

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 02:21:14 PM »
Im shy , no one knows who I am really , I sit in the back.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 03:58:27 PM »
Im shy , no one knows who I am really , I sit in the back.

I would suggest locating your nearest Chabad center. Every Shabbat they have services and host a meal for the community. It is a very good experience...

Try it.... They wont force anything on you..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 04:05:59 PM »
There's got to be someone in your local community who you can talk to about your problem. I understand it might not be easy for you if you are shy, so try and find someone gentle and considerate. Ometz ! It's too bad you are left alone like that... Social events regularly take place in Jewish communities that provide an opportunity for you to meet fellow Jews.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Find a local Chabad...there are no group of Jews that are warm and welcoming as them.  They will never let you be alone on Shabbat.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 04:40:07 PM »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 03:55:16 AM »
That is a Good idea , I know the Rabbi of the Chabad by me he is the warmest Rabbi I ever met , Im just sad he feels the Rebbe is still alive and is the Messiah. I will admit , that concept makes me a little uneasy. Should  get past it or go to another chabad. Thoughts welcome.
And thanks for all the responses.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 04:16:07 AM »
That is a Good idea , I know the Rabbi of the Chabad by me he is the warmest Rabbi I ever met , Im just sad he feels the Rebbe is still alive and is the Messiah. I will admit , that concept makes me a little uneasy. Should  get past it or go to another chabad. Thoughts welcome.
And thanks for all the responses.

Oh, Im very sorry...

No, you should not have to be involved in a minyan which may be doing avodah zarah.

Have you tried seeing about any Modern Orthodox in your area. I also know a Modern Orthodox Rabbi who I just spoke with last week. He is coming to my neighborhood for Shavuot...

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 06:40:27 AM »
There's got to be someone in your local community who you can talk to about your problem. I understand it might not be easy for you if you are shy, so try and find someone gentle and considerate. Ometz ! It's too bad you are left alone like that... Social events regularly take place in Jewish communities that provide an opportunity for you to meet fellow Jews.

It's not really "his problem," a better word is "his situation."  It can be hard to find good people to spend time with.   

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 07:31:17 AM »
It's not really "his problem," a better word is "his situation."  It can be hard to find good people to spend time with.    

You use whatever word you want, but I use mine, thank you professor.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:58:37 AM by Yaakov Mendel »

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 09:07:50 AM »
Yea, its the Rabbi that I Pmed you about a few months ago  muman. The Rabbi at Chabad at Queens college is also nice though , I dont know his views.

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 09:08:41 AM »
You use whatever word you want, I don't give a damn, but I use mine, thank you professor.

LOL , oy you guys. But anyway, I always thought I it would be cool to spend a shabbas with a litvak or Belz.

Offline Mizrahi 4 LIFE

• Full JTFer
Re: Very lonely on Shabbat
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 10:40:47 PM »
if u live in the NY area i can get for a Mizrahi style shabbat. which is the best! :)