Author Topic: Be Skeptical When they say this guy is a modern prophet  (Read 1287 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
Be Skeptical When they say this guy is a modern prophet
« on: June 13, 2011, 02:41:34 AM »
There were 2 false prophets [see Yirmiyahu/Jeremiah 29:21] by the names of Achav son of Koliya and Tzidkiyahu son of Maaseya.
They used to make all sorts of predictions about the future, but would make it in such a way that they would always would come out right whatever the results. They used their reputations as prophets among other things to convince gullible women, that "G-d had demanded that they have relations with them".
Eventually, they became too greedy with their scam and tried to convince the daughter of the Babylonian Tyrant, Nevuchadnezzar to sleep with them.
Nevuchadnezzar sought out the advice of Chanania, Mishael, and Azariah, who were saved previously by an undeniable miracle, when they were thrown by Nevuchadnezzar into a furnace.
They told him G-d hates lewdness. They are false.
The phonies, however, said we are true. Chanania, Mishael, and Azariah were just not privileged to get the prophecy we got.
Nevuchadnezzar put them to a test. He said I will throw you into the same type of furnace that Chanania, Mishael, and Azariah, were saved from and if you survive like them I will believe you.
To shorten the story. They did not survive.
I brought this story up because, I believe that there are certain influential people today, who are also being untruly depicted as prophets. Because, only their successful guesses have been advertised and not their failures. Or because they said things based on previous information that they had heard from someone but their gullible followers convinced themselves, they could have only known X,Y, or Z if they were privileged in having received Secret Divine Insight. Of course there are other reasons why people can fool themselves into believing a false prophet. I am  just giving some common examples.
Beware!