Author Topic: Facebook loses Millions of users!  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
Facebook loses Millions of users!
« on: June 14, 2011, 08:01:18 AM »

Is Facebook’s reign as the king of social networking coming to an end?

Facebook, known for its meteoric rise in popularity, lost 1.5 million users in Canada in May. Facebook also reported a loss of approximately 6 million users in the United States in the same month.

Overall, Facebook gained 13.9 million users in April, and 11.8 million users in May – compared to a typical month in 2010 where the company gained 20 million users per month on average.

A report published Monday morning on mashable.com says that if this slowing trend continues for two consecutive months, it could be a significant indicator for Facebook’s future.

Despite the slowed growth in North America, Facebook continues to dominate the social networking world, having reached 687 million active monthly users by the beginning of June 2011. The majority of new users are from countries that are late in adopting Facebook, such as India, Brazil, and Mexico.

http://www.globalnews.ca/story.html?id=4937644

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2003131/Facebook-100k-Brits-bored-site-deactivate-accounts-amid-privacy-fears.html

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Facebook loses Millions of users!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:19:53 PM »
But how many of those are spam bots and fake accounts which Facebook excises through its internal policing?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:14:28 AM »
But how many of those are spam bots and fake accounts which Facebook excises through its internal policing?

I think the wording 'losing users' does not imply them excising spambots and fake accounts. I also see the numbers which reflect the decrease in new users to be a sign that the facebook age may be passing. But I may be wrong...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 12:30:07 AM »
baruch hashem,

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 06:19:23 AM »
If someone has a couple of million dollars, I have a facebook friend who is interested in starting a new social network similar to facebook, only without the anti-white, -Jew, -nonmuslim censorship.

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 07:03:03 AM »
I think the wording 'losing users' does not imply them excising spambots and fake accounts. I also see the numbers which reflect the decrease in new users to be a sign that the facebook age may be passing. But I may be wrong...

Right on Muman!
Zuckerberg's FACEBOOK experiment had finally recached its peak and now it's heading south as it should... the company has yet to go publlic, the scheduled IPO date is for Summer 2012, let's pray it will crash and burn before that time

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 08:32:03 PM »
I think the wording 'losing users' does not imply them excising spambots and fake accounts.   

Maybe.

I also see the numbers which reflect the decrease in new users to be a sign that the facebook age may be passing. But I may be wrong...

To me it's something else.   So many are already on facebook that only a limited number actually still have the ability to create a new account.     For instance, think about when it first came out until now - give or take about 7 or 8 years.    In that timespan, millions of people between high school age and adult age signed up for facebook.   Now 8 years later, people signing up for new accounts are going to be mostly adults who were socially isolated, out of the loop, or technology deficient, and mostly - children who are now age 8-12.  They will sign up now or when they become teenagers.    But most of the population has already been "hit" with facebook.     Growth rate will be at a lower level, and it will be limited by population growth.   It is certainly not the case that something has come along to supercede or take over from facebook (or compete).  It's the big show in town.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 08:33:49 PM »
If someone has a couple of million dollars, I have a facebook friend who is interested in starting a new social network similar to facebook, only without the anti-white, -Jew, -nonmuslim censorship.

Why does that require a couple million dollars, and how pointless is that.   There are many important things that could be done with that kind of money.

Offline BritishSword

• Pro JTFer
    • Lawful Rebellion
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 07:54:42 PM »
Well I think this is Brilliant and I hope it is pushed aside. I can't stand failbook and its stupid privacy invading measures. I also resent it for pulling away most of my myspace friends after i'd put a lot of effort into my profile there. May it wither and rot away, long live competition.
I'm British. I'm Sharp.  I'm Deadly.
I am BritishSword

6a55022f0e321cd66b22318630573230965751cf

Offline BritishSword

• Pro JTFer
    • Lawful Rebellion
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »
Why does that require a couple million dollars, and how pointless is that.   There are many important things that could be done with that kind of money.

There are more important things certainly, but remember these social networking sites bring in a huge revenue and you'd soon recoup the investment, and they attract thousands upon thousands of users except that we could then insta-ban any people posting anti-semitic cartoons. Not important maybe but far from pointless.
I'm British. I'm Sharp.  I'm Deadly.
I am BritishSword

6a55022f0e321cd66b22318630573230965751cf