Author Topic: So im Watching the Scorsese movie The last tempation  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
So im Watching the Scorsese movie The last tempation
« on: July 12, 2011, 02:19:08 AM »
Anyone esle feel Judas was talking like Rabbi Kahane in regards to what to do with the Roman occupiers ?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: So im Watching the Scorsese movie The last tempation
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 02:23:41 AM »
Anyone esle feel Judas was talking like Rabbi Kahane in regards to what to do with the Roman occupiers ?

Never saw the movie, but the question... Oy, I don't know how to describe it... Comparing Rabbi Kahane, Zt'l to Judas? Hmmmm...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 02:31:05 AM »
Yea well ITs seems pretty obvious to me. This movie has a disclaimer that it is not based on the gospels its Martins own imaginary world.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 02:32:52 AM »
Yea well ITs seems pretty obvious to me. This movie has a disclaimer that it is not based on the gospels its Martins own imaginary world.

I didn't know Martin Scorcese made a film called 'the last temptation'.... I immediately thought of the gibson movie...

Oh... Now I remember that was called the passion, or something...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 02:39:19 AM »
Yea , Im almost done watching it , He is a great director in my op.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 02:40:09 AM »
I myself would not watch that movie... i just checked out the wiki plot summary...

No matter what it is not Jewish....

It just seems to be an interpretation of Christian belief...

Jesus convenes his disciples for the Passover seder—otherwise referred to as the Last Supper. After the meal, while in the garden of Gethsemane, Judas leads a contingent of soldiers to arrest Jesus, identifying him with a kiss. In the struggle to defend his master, Peter cuts off the ear of Malchus; however, Jesus performs the miracle of reattaching it. Pontius Pilate confronts Jesus and tells him that he must be put to death because he represents a threat against the status quo, that being the authority of the Roman Empire. Jesus is subsequently flogged and a crown of thorns is placed on his head. He then proceeds to Golgotha where he is crucified naked.

While on the cross, Jesus sees and talks to a young girl who claims to be his guardian angel. She tells him that he is neither the son of God nor the Messiah, but that God loves him, is pleased with him, and wants him to be happy. She brings him down off the cross and leads him away while the jeering onlookers seem not to notice.

The angel takes him to be with Mary Magdalene, and the newly married couple make love. They are soon expecting a child and living an idyllic life. One day, however, Mary abruptly dies in their home, and the sobbing Jesus is consoled by his angel who says that God has sent for her and that all women are "Mary", thus he takes both Mary and Martha, the sisters of Lazarus, for his wives. He starts a family with them, having many children, and lives his life in peace.

Jesus is next seen as an older man who encounters the apostle Paul preaching about the Messiah—that is, about "Jesus"—and he tries to tell Paul that he is the man whom Paul has been preaching about. Paul (who in this film has slain the resurrected Lazarus in his earlier life as Saul) rejects him, saying that even if Jesus hadn't died in the cross, his message was the truth, and nothing would stop him from proclaiming that. Jesus debates him, claiming that salvation cannot be founded on lies.

Nearing the end of his life, an elderly Jesus calls upon his former disciples to attend him at his deathbed. Peter, Nathaniel and a scarred John all visit their master as Jerusalem is in the throes of rebellion. Judas comes last and denounces Jesus as a traitor. He reveals that the youthful angel who released Jesus from the crucifixion is in fact Satan who has been tempting him into this alternate life of comfort as a mortal man. Jesus at last understands and accepts that he must die to bring salvation to mankind. Crawling back through the burning city of Jerusalem, he reaches the site of his crucifixion and begs God to let him fulfill his purpose and to "let him be God's son."

Jesus instantly awakens from his reverie and finds himself once more on the cross, having overcome the "temptation" of escaping death, of being married and having a family, and the ensuing disaster that would have consequently encompassed mankind. Bloody and naked, Jesus cries out happily as he dies, "It is accomplished!", and the screen flickers to white.

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 02:42:26 AM »
Yea I know lol :) Im sure the movie wont convert me though hehe. I have friendly debates all the time with my Christian colleges .

Yea I also saw the plot first too . The movie is very hard to follow when tired though its a little trippy im guessing because of the time it was made.

The movie was banned in many countries so I had to watch it.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 02:46:51 AM »
Yea I know lol :) Im sure the movie wont convert me though hehe. I have friendly debates all the time with my Christian colleges .

Yea I also saw the plot first too , The movie is very hard to follow when tired though its a little trippy im guessing because of the time it was made.

Interesting...

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 07:03:13 AM »
I don't think theirs any comparison of Rav Kahane and Judas.Rav Kahane would never turn over a Jew to an occupying authority he wouldn't even turn over the Evil [censored] Silverstein or Phillie Weiss
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 07:35:20 AM »
What garbage

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 12:12:35 PM »
Saying this movie is a 'christian' movie is like saying the Da vinci code or 'Dogma' is a christian movie.  These are movies that are created to offend Christians, which is why religious Christians would never watch them.

They make Jesus a pervert, or gay, or they make God black.  Its all done to offend.

However, I would love to see a movie where they ACCURATELY portrayed Muhammad as a raving mad mass murdering pedophile.

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 12:45:39 PM »

I don't think theirs any comparison of Rav Kahane and Judas.Rav Kahane would never turn over a Jew to an occupying authority he wouldn't even turn over the Evil [censored] Silverstein or Phillie Weiss
so this movie has very little to do with Christinaity Judas was a zealot..the real kahanist Jews back then were the zealots

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 02:18:45 PM »
Saying this movie is a 'christian' movie is like saying the Da vinci code or 'Dogma' is a christian movie.  These are movies that are created to offend Christians, which is why religious Christians would never watch them.

They make Jesus a pervert, or gay, or they make G-d black.  Its all done to offend.

However, I would love to see a movie where they ACCURATELY portrayed Muhammad as a raving mad mass murdering pedophile.

They make Jesus a pervert, or gay, or they make G-d black.  Its all done to offend.

THEY LOVE IT THEY COULD BELITTLE A JEW AND INSULT CHRISTIANS WITH ONE SHOT.THEY WOULDN'T DARE MOCK ISLAM
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 02:58:29 PM »
But this movie doesn't portray him as gay, a pervert, or black... that is a problem for me... It appears to me, from the plot summary, to be very close to the gospel except for the 'dream sequence' part...

I am no expert on 'gospel' and I really never understood the whole christian deity thing...

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 06:16:56 PM »
The High priests pals was wearing teffilin just like how it was back then it was pretty cool to see that because Orthodox  Jews never make movies depicting temple life. Its a real shame. Sometimes I wish Jews would depictions though art so we would know how somethings looks. as long as its not a 3d object its ok because its not graven. I am not sure why this never took place. 

Plu, as many Jews in the temple era were idolaters anyway, instead of making baal statues they could have made Jewish "things"

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 06:33:19 PM »
But this movie doesn't portray him as gay, a pervert, or black... that is a problem for me... It appears to me, from the plot summary, to be very close to the gospel except for the 'dream sequence' part...

I am no expert on 'gospel' and I really never understood the whole christian deity thing...

But that is the entire purpose of the movie... which is why they called it, 'the last temptation'. If it was just a slight artistic modification of the story, I dont think the Christians woulda been up in arms, but this was the whole point of the movie, the single most significant part, the climax.

And the fact that everything that led up to this 'revision' was by the book really made it even more insidious.

Imagine if Scorcese had made a movie that was by the book about the life of Moses, but at the end, Moses sees Israel, and says he wished he had stayed in Egypt and he Hebrews don't belong in the land of Israel, and they call the movie, 'Moses's regret'  Its obvious this woulda been done by someone who wanted to offend the Jews and Christians.

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 06:57:16 PM »
But that is the entire purpose of the movie... which is why they called it, 'the last temptation'. If it was just a slight artistic modification of the story, I dont think the Christians woulda been up in arms, but this was the whole point of the movie, the single most significant part, the climax.

And the fact that everything that led up to this 'revision' was by the book really made it even more insidious.

Imagine if Scorcese had made a movie that was by the book about the life of Moses, but at the end, Moses sees Israel, and says he wished he had stayed in Egypt and he Hebrews don't belong in the land of Israel, and they call the movie, 'Moses's regret'  Its obvious this woulda been done by someone who wanted to offend the Jews and Christians.

Like the "prince of Egypt"  ( wish that movie was banned!)You are right though , thats why the movie was banned, and  thats why I had to see it. I assumed you saw it, what did you think of it? While searching it turns out that Hollywood does not make to many Biblical movies.

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 07:02:59 PM »
PS.
 can anyone give me alist of the best bible movies ?  I have seen the bible collection a while ago , 10 commandments , passion of , Last temptation of Jesus , that ester movie , anything else good im missing?

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 08:32:35 PM »
PS.
 can anyone give me alist of the best bible movies ?  I have seen the bible collection a while ago , 10 commandments , passion of , Last temptation of Jesus , that ester movie , anything else good im missing?
The old Ten Commandments Movie with Charlton Heston is about the only one that was reasonably good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ten_Commandments_(1956_film)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:59:06 AM by cjd »
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years