Author Topic: Does Judaism have an age limit for marrage  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Chai

• Pro JTFer
Does Judaism have an age limit for marrage
« on: July 17, 2011, 10:09:19 PM »
or can a girl get married at any age like Islam?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Does Judaism have an age limit for marrage
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 01:26:02 AM »
or can a girl get married at any age like Islam?

I think we discussed this a while ago...

Once again the Torah was given to the Jewish people to be a way of life which can be changed in order to meet the needs of the times. This is one reason it is explained that Torah does allow multiple wives. But it is true that the Torah technically allows girls to marry at a very young age...

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/573,2485/What-is-the-minimum-age-of-marriage-according-to-Jewish-law.html

What is the minimum age of marriage according to Jewish law?

Our Sages state1 that "it is forbidden for one to marry off his daughter until she is an adult and says 'this is the one I want to marry.'"

In ancient (and not so ancient) times however, marriage was often-times celebrated at a rather young age. Although we do not follow this dictum, technically speaking, a girl may be betrothed the moment she is born, and married at the age of three.2 A boy may betroth and marry at the age of thirteen.3

* 1. Talmud Kiddushin 41a.
    * 2. Shulchan Aruch, Even HaEzer 37:1.
    * 3. Shulchan Aruch, Even HaEzer 43:1.

I don't think any Jew is trying to push for girls to marry at such a young age. I think that 12-13 is a good age for girls to start to think about being married, and what they are looking for in a relationship.

http://www.sichosinenglish.org/books/eternal-joy-1/07.htm

Marriage At A Young Age - Not Only Among Sefardim But Also Among Ashkenazim

I must register here my profound distress regarding the fact that for many years, beginning with the emigration of our brethren, the Sefardim, to Eretz Yisrael, they found it appropriate to raise the age of marriage. This is in opposition to the custom that prevailed in the countries from which they hailed [where they would marry at a younger age].

If at the time of this decree there were doubts as to what would be greater, the benefits or the losses [that would accrue by delaying the marriageable age], unfortunately, the distressing and bitter results that have ensued because of this decree have more than amply demonstrated the tremendous damage and destruction that resulted from this [decree of raising the age of marriage].

Obviously, my intent is not to lament the past. Rather, as from time to time this issue comes to the fore with various opinions rendered as to whether to decrease the age of marriage or increase it, one can most clearly understand from the above my opinion regarding this matter.

Would only that Ashkenazim as well begin getting used to this concept of marriage at a very tender age, in keeping with the words of Rav Chisda [that marriage at an early age leads to superior spiritual qualities and freedom from sin].[2]

(Igros Kodesh, Vol. XX, p. 175)

Follow The Sefardic Custom

... Since you are of Sefardic lineage and Sefardim have the good custom of marrying around the age of eighteen, and you have already passed this age, you should therefore begin interesting yourself with regard to shidduchim. Understandably, you should do so in a manner that befits the instructions of our Torah, i.e., in a manner of tznius.

Our Sages have already notified us [in regard to conducting oneself in a proper and sacred manner]:[3] "When a person sanctifies himself but a bit below, he is [in return] greatly sanctified from above."

With regard to your question whether you should seek a shidduch or wait until you are offered one, [the answer is as follows]: Our Sages explicitly state[4] that a shidduch is to be sought "as a person seeks an object that he has lost."

(Igros Kodesh, Vol. XVIII, p. 436)

Follow The Jerusalem Custom

According to the custom in Yerushalayim - and, indeed, it is a good and fine Torah custom - not to delay marriage to a late age, you should occupy yourself with due diligence in seeking a good shidduch.

(Igros Kodesh, Vol. XI, pp. 18)

Having Passed The Age Of Eighteen

... You write that the custom in your family is to try and fulfill the saying of our Sages,[5] "At eighteen, marriage [should be commenced]."

Since you have already passed this age, suggestions are being made to you with regard to marriage. You, however, are not sure whether you should act upon these suggestions since you desire to study Torah in tranquillity for a period of time.

In my opinion, it would be proper for you to interest yourself in a shidduch. Surely, according to the prevailing conditions in Yerushalayim, you will be able to continue learning after your wedding for quite a lengthy period of time.

It is already well known how praiseworthy our Sages, of blessed memory, considered studying Torah in spiritual purity.

With regard to your apprehension that getting married will interfere with your assiduous study of Torah: This depends entirely on your degree of desire. If you will truly desire to continue to learn, then you will be successful in your Torah study, both in Toras HaNigleh, as well as Toras HaChassidus, both before and after your wedding.

May G-d provide you with a shidduch that at the same time is appropriate for you both in a physical as well as in a spiritual sense....

(Igros Kodesh, Vol. XIII, p. 23)

Following The Family Custom

... In accordance to that which is explained in Hilchos Talmud Torah of the Alter Rebbe,[6] and especially in accordance with the custom of Yerushalayim and your family [of seeking a shidduch at a relatively early age], it would be appropriate that you energetically interest yourself in finding fitting suggestions for your son and that they be suggested to him.

May it be G-d's will that all the above meet with success, and your son should succeed - after his marriage as well - to learn Torah - both Toras HaNigleh and Toras HaChassidus - in spiritual purity.

(Igros Kodesh, Vol. XV, p. 51)

When One Desires To Continue To Learn

... I received your letter in which you write that you have been spoken to regarding a shidduch. You, however, desire to continue learning Torah and wish to enroll in a Yeshivah in another city for a goodly amount of time, [and] you do not wish to hear about a shidduch until that time. You ask me for my opinion.

In accordance to that which is explained in Hilchos Talmud Torah of the Alter Rebbe,[7] and especially in accordance with the custom of Yerushalayim and surely your family also follows this custom [of seeking a shidduch at a relatively early age], it seems to me that it would be inappropriate to push off interesting yourself in a shidduch.

In situations such as these, the custom [of seeking a shidduch at a relatively early age] is itself [part of] Torah.

However, it is self-understood that the suggested shidduch be one where they agree wholeheartedly that you will be able to learn in tranquillity after the wedding as well. Indeed, there are truly many who get married in this manner and succeed afterwards [in their Torah studies] as well.

As to what you write that the Torah study of an unmarried individual is dissimilar from a married person - see there in Hilchos Talmud Torah.

Most importantly, according to that which we observe in actuality, it is worth considering whether the difference [of learning Torah before marriage versus after marriage] is positive or negative, [i.e., whether the positive qualities of studying Torah after one is married does not, in fact, outweigh the positive qualities of learning Torah before one is married].

It is only that in many places this practice of marrying at an earlier age is not observed, because the wretched custom has become rooted in those places that immediately after the wedding, the newlywed is forthwith entirely immersed in worldly matters, business and the like.

Since in Yerushalayim the fine and ancient custom of continuing to study Torah after one's wedding is still observed - so much so, that it is well received even by the women - then it is entirely unfitting for you to break with this custom, G-d forbid.

This is especially so, since I am convinced that in your case it would be best that you become involved in a shidduch as soon as possible.

May G-d grant you success in your quest, consonant with the verse:[8] "A wise woman is [granted] by G-d." You will then be able to learn Torah - both Toras HaNigleh and Toras HaChassidus - in the holy city of Yerushalayim in spiritual purity.

(Igros Kodesh, Vol. XV, p. 52)

Notes:
   1. See Yam Shel Shlomo, Kiddushin 1:57.
   2.  Kiddushin 29b.
   3.  See Yoma 39a.
   4.  Kiddushin 2b; Niddah 31b.
   5.  Avos 5:22; Rambam, Hilchos Ishus 15:28; Tur and Shulchan Aruch, Even HaEzer, beginning of ch. 1. See also Shulchan Aruch, Admur HaZakein, Hilchos Talmud Torah ch. 1, Kuntres Acharon I.
   6.  3:1-2; see also Kuntres Acharon, ibid.
   7.  Ibid.
   8.  Mishlei 19:14.

I should also say that it is incorrect to equate Jewish law with islam. Jewish law adapts to the current times, it is an Oral law which is not carved in stone. It is open to interpretation by the sages, and there are many opinions, all of them correct..

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:33:33 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 01:35:05 AM »
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/jewfaq/marriage.htm

Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children

The minimum age for marriage under Jewish law is 13 for boys, 12 for girls; however, the kiddushin can take place before that, and often did in medieval times.  The Talmud recommends that parents marry off their children when they reach puberty, but many Jewish communities delay marriage till the age 18, or somewhere between 16 and 24, putting needless physical and mental strain on Jewish youth and often causing them to sin.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 05:01:35 AM »
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/jewfaq/marriage.htm

Prohibited Marriages and Illegitimate Children

The minimum age for marriage under Jewish law is 13 for boys, 12 for girls; however, the kiddushin can take place before that, and often did in medieval times.  The Talmud recommends that parents marry off their children when they reach puberty, but many Jewish communities delay marriage till the age 18, or somewhere between 16 and 24, putting needless physical and mental strain on Jewish youth and often causing them to sin.

What do you mean "putting needless physical and mental strain on Jewish youth and often causing them to sin" ? Are you saying you would prefer Jewish children to be married at 12 or 13 ?