Author Topic: for JTFers with pets  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
for JTFers with pets
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:48:02 PM »
Apparently over the counter flea and tick products are really dangerous. I feel kind of guilty because I used to use sprays and shampoos on my dogs. I will definitely avoid them with my cats. There are safer ways to fight these things. Vets have a pill called Capstar which can make fleas drop off within 24 hours and then there is a produce called Revolution which you apply topically every month which is very safe for most animals.

The stories on this site are very sad but convinced me not to ever use over the counter products:
http://www.hartzvictims.org/2011/07/24/9-month-old-baby/#comments

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: for JTFers with pets
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 09:06:38 PM »
I have used Bayer Advantage for several years with no ill effects... Have you heard anything different?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 09:33:43 PM »
I have used Bayer Advantage for several years with no ill effects... Have you heard anything different?

I don't know about that one. I would ask your vet if it's safe though. There are so many stories on that site and others about over the counter products working fine for years without apparent problems and then causing death or seizures. I've heard about this for a while my vet had warnings up in his office about over the counter flea drops like those from Hartz. I use Revolution on my cats.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 02:57:51 AM »
I use advantage for my cats and dogs and I usually buy them from my vet. I think it is safe but it only takes down flees I believe. For ticks I use a special collar and it is also sold at my vet's clinic.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:22:30 AM »
I use advantage for my cats and dogs and I usually buy them from my vet. I think it is safe but it only takes down flees I believe. For ticks I use a special collar and it is also sold at my vet's clinic.

If you get things from your vet and not over the counter they're probably safe

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 10:18:52 AM »
What does over the counter means ? does it mean you get it without prescription but you have to ask for it from the pharmacist ?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 10:25:29 AM »
What does over the counter means ? does it mean you get it without prescription but you have to ask for it from the pharmacist ?

In the case of most pet products it means you go down the pet aisle of the grocery store and buy it off the shelf without it being deemed as safe by your vet.

Some things are ok... but always check with your vet first. Not everything is safe just because they sell it in the pet section.  My vet said that using those Hartz flea drops can kill cats or dogs.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 03:33:14 PM »
It's commonly known that Hartz Mountain products are garbage. My mother taught me that when I was very little. We always used Advantage for flea control and it works great. It even is safe to use on rabbits. Of course the argument can be made that we don't yet know what the long-term effects of imidacloprid are on animals, but so far, so good.

The very best defense against parasites and diseases, however, is having indoor-only pets.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 04:02:15 PM »
It's commonly known that Hartz Mountain products are garbage. My mother taught me that when I was very little. We always used Advantage for flea control and it works great. It even is safe to use on rabbits. Of course the argument can be made that we don't yet know what the long-term effects of imidacloprid are on animals, but so far, so good.

The very best defense against parasites and diseases, however, is having indoor-only pets.

I almost thought you said you used Advantage on Rabbis.... But now I realize my mistake :)
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14