Author Topic: Shomer Shabbos In 'The Big Lebowski'  (Read 1716 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Shomer Shabbos In 'The Big Lebowski'
« on: August 19, 2011, 04:30:50 PM »
I remember this scene in the movie 'The Big Lebowski'. When I first saw the movie I had not yet done Teshuva so I was not observing the Sabbath... But the Big Lebowski has been in the news for some reason and I am reminded of this scene:

Warning: some bad language...

The Dude: Walter... what am I going to tell Lebowski?
Walter Sobchak: I told that deleted down at the league office... who's in charge of scheduling?
The Dude: Walter...
Donny: Burkhalter.
Walter Sobchak: I told that kraut a stupid thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!
The Dude: Walter...
Donny: They already posted it.
Walter Sobchak: Well they can *stupid unpost it*!
The Dude: Who gives a drek! They're gonna kill that poor woman, man! What am I gonna tell Lebowski?
Walter Sobchak: C'mon Dude, eventually she'll get sick of her little game and, you know, wander on back.
Donny: How come you don't roll on Saturday, Walter?
Walter Sobchak: I'm shomer shabbos.
Donny: What's that?
The Dude: Yeah, and in the meantime, what do I tell Lebowski?
Walter Sobchak: Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't drive a car, I don't stupid ride in a car, I don't handle money, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as drek *don't stupid roll*!
Donny: Sheesh.
Walter Sobchak: Shomer shabbos!
The Dude: Walter, how am I going to...
Walter Sobchak: Shomer stupid shabbos.
The Dude: Oh deleted it. I'm out of here.
Walter Sobchak: Come on, Dude...
[rolls his eyes at Donny]
Walter Sobchak: stupid BABY...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Shomer Shabbos In 'The Big Lebowski'
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
I'm surprised that even made it into any mainstream media considering how most Hollywood Jews don't have much to do with actual Judaism.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 09:36:08 PM »
The Coen brothers wrote and directed The Big Lebowski.  Their parents took the "h" out of Cohen and made it Coen.  That should tell you something right there.  But that's not why I'm writing this.  I'm writing to tell you that in the Coen brothers' movie entitled "A Serious Man", it is my belief that the Coen's make fun of two Rabbi's.  I think that, in this particular movie, they also make fun of Jews, too, even though they are Jews.  It is my opinion that they make fun of the younger Rabbi as well as the older Rabbi.  Maybe some Jews don't see it this way.  If any of you have seen this movie -- and I think it's worthwhile to see it because it presents an intelligent story (or so I thought, that, by the way, has been compared to the story of Job) -- I would be curious to see if you agree about the Coen's making fun of the Rabbi's. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 10:05:03 PM »
The Coen brothers wrote and directed The Big Lebowski.  Their parents took the "h" out of Cohen and made it Coen.  That should tell you something right there.  But that's not why I'm writing this.  I'm writing to tell you that in the Coen brothers' movie entitled "A Serious Man", it is my belief that the Coen's make fun of two Rabbi's.  I think that, in this particular movie, they also make fun of Jews, too, even though they are Jews.  It is my opinion that they make fun of the younger Rabbi as well as the older Rabbi.  Maybe some Jews don't see it this way.  If any of you have seen this movie -- and I think it's worthwhile to see it because it presents an intelligent story (or so I thought, that, by the way, has been compared to the story of Job) -- I would be curious to see if you agree about the Coen's making fun of the Rabbi's. 

I remember seeing the trailers and the media buzz about that movie... But I stopped watching movies in the theatre many years ago... Maybe I may see it on DVD or on the network if it is available. But I also heard that it is irreligious in a way and that was enough to make me ignore this film.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14