Author Topic: Othodox Jews can be demonically evil  (Read 668 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Othodox Jews can be demonically evil
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
Boxing club aims to topple barriers

Jerusalem club offers rare opportunity for Israelis, Palestinians to meet twice a week to practice boxing, far from the realities of city at heart of conflict

AFP
Published:    08.30.11, 15:03 / Israel Culture

Share on TwitterShare on Facebook

Everyone looked on curiously as the Palestinian squared off with the Israeli, each seeking to land the decisive punch that would floor his opponent.

Within minutes it was all over, and the two youths briefly embraced before heading off in separate directions.

Full story

This was no political battle - just a regular bout of sparring between youngsters from a local Jerusalem boxing club that is trying to break down barriers between the two peoples.

The club, based in a converted underground bomb shelter in a ramshackle district of west Jerusalem, offers a rare opportunity for Palestinians and Israelis to meet twice a week to practice boxing, far from the realities of this city which has been at the heart of the conflict since 1967.

'Everyone who comes here feels at home' (Photo: AFP)

Known simply as the Jerusalem Boxing Club, it was set up in 1981 by Gershon Luxemburg, a champion boxer who emigrated from the Uzbek city of Tashkent in the former Soviet Union in 1972.

"The club is open to everyone – to Jews and Arabs, women and men, religious people and secular people – it's for everyone and everyone can come!" says Luxemburg in heavily accented Hebrew.

"And everyone who comes here feels at home," he adds, his enthusiasm for the venture still irrepressible after 30 years.

A stocky, bearded man wearing a traditional Jewish skullcap, Luxemburg says the club seeks not only to promote acceptance and tolerance of the other, but also to nurture friendships.

"It's not about everyone just getting on - it is much more than that: we are friends here, like one body," he says. "It's not just people walking in and saying 'hi' and 'bye'."

The entrance to the club is unobtrusive - a single door in a shabby concrete block set in the middle of a car park opens onto a set of stairs and a huge poster of American boxing legend Muhammad Ali.

Down below, the walls are lined with photographs and certificates that tell countless stories of those who have trained there.

In the airless basement, temperatures are high and the steady thud of boxing gloves competes with the whirr of electric fans pushing the sweaty air around.

'Opportunity to meet without fear'

Ramzi Srour, a 19-year-old Palestinian from Jabel Mukaber in east Jerusalem, is a "veteran" of the club, where he has been training since he was eight years old.

"Gershon is like a father to everyone here at the club, whether they are Jews or Arabs," he says.

Down among the punch bags, all political differences are set aside, he tells AFP, clad in a black T-shirt and long sweat pants.

"This is just sport," he insists, in an interview between sessions in the ring.

"Maybe outside this place they are our enemies, but our relationship in the outside world is very different to our relationship down here."

Srour dismisses out of hand the suggestion that he fights harder when faced with an Israeli opponent in the ring.

"I want to win for the club and for myself, and not because I am an Arab," he insists. "I'm competing against both Arabs and Jews and all I want is to win."

Luxemburg says he started the club as a result of his experience growing up in Tashkent in what is now Uzbekistan.

"My family came from the former Soviet Union where more than 100 peoples live together, and here in Israel it has given me a different perspective," he says.

"I can see how very easily you can get on with everyone in this world," Luxemburg says.

His liberal outlook is not shared by a majority of Russian-speaking immigrants, many of whom support right-wing Jewish nationalist parties and are perceived as hostile toward Arabs, as typified by the outlook of hawkish Moldovan-born Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman. :)

Prominent among the young boxers is Akiva Finkelstein, a religiously observant Jewish 16-year-old who has won Israel's youth boxing title seven times.

Like Srour, he says his drive to win comes from desire a "to be the best", and has nothing to do with whether his opponent is a Jew or an Arab.

He sees boxing as an excellent way of building bridges between the two peoples.
 >:(

"I think if everybody was more together – like here, we are like one people – the relationship between us and the Arabs would get much better," he said.

"But not everybody does boxing."

Luxemburg agrees. The message he wants to get across to politicians on both sides of the political divide is that simply meeting people is a powerful way to break down barriers.

"Give us the opportunity to meet without fear," he says.

Advertisement   

>:(
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline BritishSword

• Pro JTFer
    • Lawful Rebellion
Re: Othodox Jews can be demonically evil
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 09:58:53 AM »
Inapropriate title methinks.
I'm British. I'm Sharp.  I'm Deadly.
I am BritishSword

6a55022f0e321cd66b22318630573230965751cf

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »
Inapropriate title methinks.
A bit perhaps
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 11:05:30 AM »
It does look like a really traitorous thing to do to try to get Jews to be friends with those who want to kill them. I think it's sad though because a lot of the Jewish people probably really would be friends if the Arabs were normal human beings. However the Arabs just have as their main goal in existence to hurt as many Jews as possible.

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:04:27 PM »
It's a problem with all good people. They expect the best out of everyone. I think the average Israeli, American, etc don't want to believe all muslims are evil and ignorant because it's almost unbelievable to think an entire group of people are that bad.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 01:13:15 PM »
It's a problem with all good people. They expect the best out of everyone. I think the average Israeli, American, etc don't want to believe all muslims are evil and ignorant because it's almost unbelievable to think an entire group of people are that bad.

Correct, and if not this, then it may a workshop of a secret agent.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 08:30:36 PM »

That's because most decent people have been raised to believe that there is good in almost everyone and to try to see that good in people. The truth is far from that though. There are many people in whom there is very little or no good at all, they're nasty and cruel and murderous. There is no good in Islam any more than there's any good in the Nazi philosophy. Both are extremely evil ideologies/political movements that have no place in this world and the people that follow them are not meant to be made friends with, they're meant to be defeated.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 01:27:57 AM »
I failed to find the demonic evil (or the orthodox Jews for that matter).

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 06:55:05 AM »
I failed to find the demonic evil (or the orthodox Jews for that matter).
I don't the trainer [and former uzbek boxing champ  is an orthodox Jew] and the youth Champion of Israel is an Orthodox Jew why allow Arabs to join them in Boxing

Shot at 2010-01-03