Author Topic: So Far I'm Still Without Power  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
So Far I'm Still Without Power
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:05:35 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to let you know that I still have no power at home, which is why you haven't seen any posts from me recently.  I hope this gets fixed soon.  Our electricity has been out since Saturday night. 

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
Re: So Far I'm Still Without Power
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
I'll hope it's fixed soon for you Lisa and I'm happy you were ok during that earthquake/storm.
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 01:29:55 PM »
Thanks Bryan.  I miss the forum.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 01:59:39 PM »
Great neck taxes at their best. Lol.  You got hit really hard compared to where I was.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 02:08:18 PM »
Where were you, Dr. Dan, if you don't mind my asking?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 03:47:31 PM »
I will daven that the utility crews get motivated and have the electricity back quickly....

I hope that you and your family stay safe...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 03:47:33 PM »
Border of little neck and great neck close to the h mart.  Were you in saddle rock?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 04:09:37 PM »
I'll tell you via p.m.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »
Unbelievable!!
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 04:58:17 PM »
Lisa,   I hope you get your power back soon.        I can't even imagine what you and others still w/o power must be going through. 

From what you have seen,    how widespread are the power outages currently in Great Neck?   
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
Great neck taxes at their best. Lol.  You got hit really hard compared to where I was.

From what I've seen,   a strong case can be made that Great Neck and Kings Point gets the least amount of return for the tax dollars that are paid.     Especially considering the massive size of the taxes.       Between the extensive power outages,    the horrible conditions of many of the roads,   and Cell Phones/  Mobile Devices hardly working in some areas   (  especially in the northern part of G.N.  and in Kings Point  ),      clearly there has been a failure in government.      
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 05:37:21 PM »
One of my bosses who lives in Kings Point still has no power.  Kennsington had no power outages.  Harbor Hills is the first to lose power.  Other houses on my street seem to have their power restored.  My sister spoke to LIPA and was told that it had something to do with a fuse. 

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 05:53:42 PM »
That sucks

You can always try living like they did before electricity was invented.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 06:37:31 PM »
It was originally strong and a rare kind of hurricane. Fortunately it could not do as much damage as envisaged.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 07:39:06 PM »
One of my bosses who lives in Kings Point still has no power.  Kennsington had no power outages.  Harbor Hills is the first to lose power.  Other houses on my street seem to have their power restored.  My sister spoke to LIPA and was told that it had something to do with a fuse. 
Places like Kings Point and Harbor Hills are highly wooded with large old trees of which some of the branches alone coming down could rip down entire sections of power lines...  I actually think it has a great deal to do with the amount of damage the system sustained in a given local that dictates the down time... By Monday night all my neighbors were back on line however the section of my street was on a different line that did not come back on until the following night... All said and done I think LIPA is doing their best to get everyone going...
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 08:24:20 PM »
That sucks

You can always try living like they did before electricity was invented.
Except for loss of access to the forum I actually enjoyed cooking on a camp stove, using candles, a Coleman 275 lantern and a more modern propane one for lighting... During the last big storm back in the 80's LILCO was down for 14 days here... This storm was nothing to speak of compared to the one back then... We have  back up power to keep the fridges going and also some TV and lighting but it was a mix of old and new that kept us going while the power company was out of service. Back in the 80's I would heat my water each night to get cleaned up with an old style Range Boiler that burned wood and a WW2 era generator to run the well that produced water...My neighbors were all at wits end with no water and lights however I was as comfortable as I could be... ;D  The power was not down long enough this time to get all the temporary systems going but they are all still here if needed... Funny thing is the neighbors were suffering this time after only 2 days.. :::D  People are not what they use to be.  :'(

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »
Except for loss of access to the forum I actually enjoyed cooking on a camp stove, using candles, a Coleman 275 lantern and a more modern propane one for lighting... During the last big storm back in the 80's LILCO was down for 14 days here... This storm was nothing to speak of compared to the one back then... We have  back up power to keep the fridges going and also some TV and lighting but it was a mix of old and new that kept us going while the power company was out of service. Back in the 80's I would heat my water each night to get cleaned up with an old style Range Boiler that burned wood and a WW2 era generator to run the well that produced water...My neighbors were all at wits end with no water and lights however I was as comfortable as I could be... ;D  The power was not down long enough this time to get all the temporary systems going but they are all still here if needed... Funny thing is the neighbors were suffering this time after only 2 days.. :::D  People are not what they use to be.  :'(

I vividly remember the 'Great Blizzard of 1977'... I was only 12 years old at the time (I was Bar Mitzvah in 1978) and I remember that the blizzard took down the tree in our front yard. I also remember having to walk to the stores in order to buy food....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_1977

The Blizzard of 1977 was a deadly blizzard that hit upstate New York and Southern Ontario from January 28 to February 1, 1977. Daily peak wind gusts ranging from 46 to 69 mph (74 to 111 km/h) were recorded by the National Weather Service Buffalo Office (2006a).

Certain pre-existing weather conditions exacerbated the blizzard's effects. November, December and January average temperatures were much below normal. Lake Erie froze over by December 14; an ice-covered Lake Erie usually puts an end to lake-effect snow because the wind cannot pick up moisture from the lake's surface, convert the moisture to snow and then dump it when the winds reach shore.

Lake Erie was covered by a deep, powdery snow; January's unusually cold conditions limited the usual thawing and refreezing, so the snow on the frozen lake remained powdery. The drifted snow on roadways was difficult to clear because the strong wind packed the snow solidly, almost like a form of concrete. In addition to the roads becoming impassable, motorists had to deal with vehicles breaking down.

In the hardest-struck areas, snowmobiles became the only viable method of transportation. In western New York and southern Ontario, snow which was accumulated on frozen Lake Erie and snow on the ground at the start of the blizzard provided ample material for the high winds to blow into huge drifts – see ground blizzard. The combination of bitter cold, high winds, and blowing snow paralyzed areas affected by the storm. Lake Ontario does not freeze over, which meant northern New York had to deal with considerable lake effect snow, which, when coupled with the existing snow cover and wind, created paralysis.

What is funny is that in that age (70s-80s) the scientists were telling us we were going into a NEW ICE age... But today the scientists are sure that we are going through a warming period... This is one of the primary reasons I think that weather 'scientists' don't know what they are talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling

Global cooling was a conjecture during the 1970s of imminent cooling of the Earth's surface and atmosphere along with a posited commencement of glaciation. This hypothesis had mixed support in the scientific community, but gained temporary popular attention due to a combination of a slight downward trend of temperatures from the 1940s to the early 1970s and press reports that did not accurately reflect the scientific understanding of ice age cycles. In contrast to the global cooling conjecture, the current scientific opinion on climate change is that the Earth has not durably cooled, but undergone global warming throughout the twentieth century.[1]
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 09:32:49 PM »

Yes, that was some snow storm I was working out at JFK at the time and actually used snow chains on the car to get home from work... I think we have only had one or two snow storms since then that even came close in accumulation... The weather forecasters were very accurate with the storm we had this week.. They over predicted the force of the wind however they had the storm figured out quite well in all other respects.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 12:01:01 AM »
Except for loss of access to the forum I actually enjoyed cooking on a camp stove, using candles, a Coleman 275 lantern and a more modern propane one for lighting... During the last big storm back in the 80's LILCO was down for 14 days here... This storm was nothing to speak of compared to the one back then... We have  back up power to keep the fridges going and also some TV and lighting but it was a mix of old and new that kept us going while the power company was out of service. Back in the 80's I would heat my water each night to get cleaned up with an old style Range Boiler that burned wood and a WW2 era generator to run the well that produced water...My neighbors were all at wits end with no water and lights however I was as comfortable as I could be... ;D  The power was not down long enough this time to get all the temporary systems going but they are all still here if needed... Funny thing is the neighbors were suffering this time after only 2 days.. :::D  People are not what they use to be.  :'(
I did not enjoy the power outage! :P
Even if we did have a generator.
No power, phone, internet or cell service. >:(
I'm just grateful we didn't have any great damage.

I hope you will get service back soon, Lisa.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 12:07:37 AM »
I did not enjoy the power outage! :P
Even if we did have a generator.
No power, phone, internet or cell service. >:(
I'm just grateful we didn't have any great damage.

I hope you will get service back soon, Lisa.

Sounds to me like an every week Shabbat... Except for the No Power part...

But this should remind us how fragile our reliance on power is. Today we are nearly helpless without our gadgets and gizmos. I am also guilty of this... But we should think beyond our electronic toys and tools.

This may make me sound old but in the 80s when I told people I worked with 'home computers' everyone looked at me funny and asked why a person would want a computer at home...

Example of 1980s 'Home Computer'
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 12:13:08 AM by muman613 »

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 07:37:59 PM »

But this should remind us how fragile our reliance on power is. Today we are nearly helpless without our gadgets and gizmos. I am also guilty of this... But we should think beyond our electronic toys and tools.

This may make me sound old but in the 80s when I told people I worked with 'home computers' everyone looked at me funny and asked why a person would want a computer at home...

That computer sure is a dinosaur. 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 09:30:32 PM »
Just got power back tonight!  What a relief. 

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 11:06:08 PM »
Just got power back tonight!  What a relief. 

Especially after a whole week.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 05:49:38 AM »

I found it very hard to get prepared for work by candlelight.
We did not run the generator at night.
It is very noisy.  The neighbors wouldn't have liked that.
I get prepared for work at 5 am.  It's still very dark.
I wouldn't have cared so much, if I could have slept until there was natural light coming through the window. 
Also, the generator was at my Mom's house not mine.

I also lost some food that was in my fridge and my stove is electric.  Even boiling water was a chore. 

What bothered me the most was I could not contact the people I love, to check on them, easily.  I had no phone, cell or internet service.  Thank goodness for my Mom's land line.

The TV and gadgets I could live with out.  I like to read.  You can do that by candle or flashlight.

I'm grateful that we only lost power for about 3 days.  It could have been far worse. 
I was really only teasing CJD.

He had a camp stove and lanterns.  ::) 

Glad your power's back, Lisa.

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 06:07:29 AM »
I'm glad you got your power back I'm sure it's a big relief Lisa. The thing I miss the most when the power goes out is my internet.