Author Topic: Corn on the cob is not kosher?  (Read 4405 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Corn on the cob is not kosher?
« on: September 14, 2011, 05:11:56 PM »
I was reading a Jewish forum and there is a debate that corn is not kosher

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/coffeeroom/topic/why-is-corn-on-the-cob-not-kosher-1

Is that true? I always thought fresh corn on the cob with butter and salt was one of the best tasting veggies I have eaten.

Offline The proud Jew

• Pro JTFer
Re: Corn on the cob is not kosher?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:29:16 PM »
Corn on the cob is grown from the earth so it is kosher. Thats how I look at it.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 05:48:20 PM »
I have never heard of such a thing...

Maybe you are concerned about whether it is Kitniyot, and therefore is not allowed during Pesach... According to some it is considered as such and corn should not be eaten on Pesach...

There is no reason, according to the Torah, that Corn is not kosher...

It appears that discussion reveals that the reason that some restaurants don't serve it is because all vegatables must be inspected for bugs... And according to the discussion you posted, corn has a number of small bugs which are difficult to identify... Thus they would rather not serve it in order to save themselves from having to inspect it for bugs...

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/passover/pesach_cdo/aid/1742/jewish/What-is-Chametz.htm

http://www.aish.com/h/pes/l/48964186.html

The Torah instructs a Jew not to eat (or even possess) chametz during all seven days of Passover (Exodus 13:3).

"Chametz" is defined as any of the five grains -- wheat, spelt, barley, oats, and rye -- which has come into contact with water for more than 18 minutes. This is a serious Torah prohibition, and for that reason we take extra protective measures on Passover to prevent any mistakes.

Which brings us to the category of prohibited Passover food called "kitniyot." Sometimes referred to generically as "legumes," this includes rice, corn, soy beans, string beans, peas, lentils, mustard, sesame seeds and poppy seeds. Even though kitniyot cannot technically become chametz, Ashkenazi Jews do not eat them on Passover. Why?

The Smak (Rabbi Yitzchak of Korbol) explains that products of kitniyot appear like chametz products. For example, it can be hard to distinguish between rice flour (kitniyot) and wheat flour (chametz). Therefore, to prevent confusion, all kitniyot was prohibited.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 08:22:31 PM »
I have never heard of such a thing...

Maybe you are concerned about whether it is Kitniyot, and therefore is not allowed during Pesach... According to some it is considered as such and corn should not be eaten on Pesach...

There is no reason, according to the Torah, that Corn is not kosher...

It appears that discussion reveals that the reason that some restaurants don't serve it is because all vegatables must be inspected for bugs... And according to the discussion you posted, corn has a number of small bugs which are difficult to identify... Thus they would rather not serve it in order to save themselves from having to inspect it for bugs...

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/passover/pesach_cdo/aid/1742/jewish/What-is-Chametz.htm

http://www.aish.com/h/pes/l/48964186.html

Same is true with broccoli.  Always wash your veggies with vinegar and at least 3 times
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 08:37:09 PM »
I figured the link might be a parody website.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »
I was reading a Jewish forum and there is a debate that corn is not kosher

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/coffeeroom/topic/why-is-corn-on-the-cob-not-kosher-1

Is that true? I always thought fresh corn on the cob with butter and salt was one of the best tasting veggies I have eaten.

No, its not true.  Corn is kosher.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 09:01:18 PM »
No, its not true.  Corn is kosher.

The issue is concerning whether the corn has been inspected for insects... All vegetables must be inspected for insects. But there is a halacha that if an insect is not visible by the human eye it is Bitul, in effect it is nullified...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 09:02:55 PM »
http://www.kashrut.com/articles/Bugs_in_Lettuce/

The Prohibition of Eating Insects

The Torah prohibits the consumption of many types of sh’ratzim , such as insects, worms, and other “creepy crawlies”. Specific prohibitions govern those that live in rivers and lakes, those that creep on the ground, and those that fly in the air. The prohibition against eating forbidden insects is so expansive that the Talmud (Makos 16b) notes that eating even one whole insect may occasion multiple transgressions. According to the P’ri Chodosh , the reason for this extraordinary compounding of prohibitions is the ubiquity of insects and the resultant ease by which one may easily transgress this prohibition. One must, therefore, exercise great care to avoid eating foods that contain insects and thereby transgress these prohibitions. As we shall see, however, not all “insects” are created equal.

The term “She’retz ” refers to small, slithering creatures. In the case of terrestrial Sh’ratzim , these include small animals, such as mice. The short legs of such animals are not readily noticeable as they move, rendering their movement akin to slithering. Even small mammals, such as mice, fall into this category. Fortunately, we are not often faced with the problem of mice in our food supply. Other creatures that are considered Sh’ratzim , notably insects, worms, and crustaceans, however, do infest food. As we shall see, in many cases the Torah prohibits us from eating foods that may contain prohibited Sh’ratzim .

(It is also important to note that while the technical term “insect” is a precise scientific term referring to a specific class of arthropods, in discussing the prohibition of sh’ratzim when we use the term “insect” it is in its non-technical sense. For the purposes of our discussion, the word “insect” connotes any type of small, prohibited organisms – insects, crustaceans, and worms.)

Microscopic Insects. Concerns over sh’ratzim in vinegar, however, do afford us another important Halachic insight. With the development of the microscope, people realized that vinegar eels were but a miniscule part of the broad microscopic flora found in vinegar – and virtually all other liquids. The Halachic ramifications were obvious. If, indeed, magnifying optics revealed “bugs” in virtually all foods and liquid – or, for that matter, the air – how is one Halachically permitted to consume them? The answer to this question was unequivocal. All Poskim have concurred that Halachic requirements relate only to what can be seen by the unaided human eye. This approach has countless Halachic applications, from cracks in letters of a Sefer Torah to miniature scales on fish to minor blemished on an Esrog . From a Halachic standpoint, what cannot be seen by someone with average eyesight has no Halachic standing.
Approaches to dealing with Miyut ha’Matzuy

Basing himself on a ruling of the RaShB”A , the Ramo (Y.D. 84:8) rules that once a fruit is considered in the category of Miyut ha’Matzuy one is required to inspect each fruit or vegetable individually (he specifically states that one cannot rely on the checking of the majority). As such, many common fruits and vegetables should not be eaten unless thoroughly inspected. [A definitive listing of the status of specific fruits and vegetables at any one time or place is beyond the scope of this article.] However, three additional factors may serve to mitigate this requirement.

The first involves the concept of Nireh l’Ayin – the requirement that a prohibited insect be visible to the unaided eye. Should the insect be so tiny as to be imperceptible to a person with normal eyesight, it would pose no Halachic concern. If it can be seen and identified by a person with normal eyesight, albeit only under careful inspection, it would be prohibited. One situation, however, poses an interesting question – if the presence of an insect can be noticed but cannot be identified as an insect without further magnification. Some authorities posit that although it may look like a spec of dirt, it nevertheless qualifies as a “visible” – and prohibited – entity. Others, however, argue that it cannot be considered a “visible” insect unless it can be so identified. Again, one should follow his Posek in this matter.

A second mitigating factor involves the concept of Bitul (nullification). Under normal circumstances, mixtures containing forbidden components are permitted if the offending material is less than one part to sixty (about 1.6%) of the whole mixture and not intentionally added. One could therefore argue that since levels of infestation are generally below that level, most produce should be permitted without any further concern. There are two problems with applying the concept of Bitul to vegetables, however. Most authorities rule that since an inspection can identify an insect mixed with vegetables, they are not considered a true “mixture” – a Ta’aroves – subject to the rules of Bitul . In addition, even if it were considered a Ta’aroves , insects generally have the Halacha of a Beryah – a “complete” item, and a Beryah is not considered Batel regardless of its ratio in the mixture.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 09:04:34 PM »
You guys better check blueberries if you eat them. I was going through a package and found one with a caterpillar on it. Good thing I was checking them for rotten ones.

Are you guys considered to have committed a sin if you accidentally swallow a bug that flies into your mouth? I've had at least two occasions when I was outside during the summer and a mosquito flew right down into my throat and after a few coughs and gags it went down, not up, like I'd intended. I don't personally follow the kosher thing but I was wondering what happened if you accidentally ate an insect like that.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 09:48:51 PM »
The issue is concerning whether the corn has been inspected for insects... All vegetables must be inspected for insects. But there is a halacha that if an insect is not visible by the human eye it is Bitul, in effect it is nullified...

I repeat, corn is kosher.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 12:08:14 AM »

I repeat, corn is kosher.

Yes, the corn is Kosher... Nobody but the original inquiry suggested otherwise.