Author Topic: Jewish Girl accuses Professor of Anti Semitism 1 problem he's Jewish  (Read 1763 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
 :::D :::D                           http://www.jta.org/news/article/2011/09/15/3089397/jewish-professor-defends-himself-against-anti-semitism-allegation    

Share Share
    Email Email
    Print Print

Jewish professor defends himself against anti-Semitism allegation

September 15, 2011

TORONTO (JTA) -- A Jewish professor in Toronto was forced to defend himself against allegations of anti-Semitism in an episode tinged with irony.

Cameron Johnston, who has been teaching at York University for more than 30 years, was the focus of controversy following a Sept. 12 lecture on critical thinking and whether one is entitled to one's opinions, even if they are extreme.

"All Jews should be sterilized" is an example of such an extreme opinion, Johnston told the 500 students.

One of them, 22-year-old Sarah Grunfeld, stormed out of the class. She contacted Hasbara at York, an on-campus Israel advocacy group, which sent a press release to media and other Jewish community groups calling for Johnston's firing. The story was picked up by blogs and social media.

"In the lecture, I discussed that the course focuses on the texts and not 'opinions.'  In fact, I stated that for this course opinions are not relevant and I questioned the common idea that everyone is entitled to their opinion," Johnston, who is Jewish, said in a statement.

"I pointed out that everyone is not entitled to their opinion by giving the example of someone having an anti-Semitic opinion which is clearly not acceptable. This was an example of the fact that opinions can be dangerous and that none of us really do believe that all opinions are acceptable."

Grunfeld told the Toronto Star that she may have misunderstood the context and intent of Johnston's remarks, but that doesn't matter.

"The words, 'Jews should be sterilized' still came out of his mouth, so regardless of the context, I still think that's pretty serious," she said.

In a statement, the newly-created Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs said it believes Johnston's "use of an abhorrent statement was intended to demonstrate that some opinions are simply not legitimate. This point was, without ill intentions, taken out of context and circulated in the Jewish community."

"Prof. Johnston, himself a member of the Jewish community, may regret his wording but should not see his reputation tarnished," CIJA stated. "This event is an appropriate reminder that great caution must be exercised before concluding a statement or action is anti-Semitic."
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:44:30 AM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Jewish Girl accuses Proffesor of Anti Semitism 1 problem he's Jewish
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:18:39 AM »
He wasn't saying it as his own opinion, he was using it as an example. How dumb can she be? I notice a lot of people have trouble following conversations though. You can try to talk to someone and give examples, etc. and they only half listen. I think people skim when listening almost as badly as they skim when reading.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 10:23:22 AM »
He wasn't saying it as his own opinion, he was using it as an example. How dumb can she be? I notice a lot of people have trouble following conversations though. You can try to talk to someone and give examples, etc. and they only half listen. I think people skim when listening almost as badly as they skim when reading.

I don't know he said it pretty clearly she must not know how to listen
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 12:05:47 PM »
Hes an antisemetic Jew who are much more dangerous, than a Goy, hes just Goy lackey! Dylan Thomas was a antiWelsh Welshman! :o

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 12:54:10 PM »
Hes an antisemetic Jew who are much more dangerous, than a Goy, hes just Goy lackey! Dylan Thomas was a antiWelsh Welshman! :o

How was he anti-Semitic? He wasn't saying that Jews should be sterilized because he believes it. He said it as an example of a horrible opinion and to discuss whether or not horrible opinions should be allowed/discussed as if they were legitimate. It's no different than if he had said 'kill all the schvartzas' or 'all Mexicans should be sterilized". It probably was a poor choice of an example to use because some people wouldn't be smart enough to understand.

Saying things like goy lackey make you look ignorant.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 11:49:28 PM »
Herr Professor!  so sorry that i exist, and am a dolt! He should keep his stupid mouth shut on such a sensitive subject.  If you have any problems with this, then sir i offer you my card ! name your seconds, you of course have the choice of weapons! >:(

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 01:03:08 PM »
Herr Professor!  so sorry that i exist, and am a dolt! He should keep his stupid mouth shut on such a sensitive subject.  If you have any problems with this, then sir i offer you my card ! name your seconds, you of course have the choice of weapons! >:(

Duels are between equals.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 02:52:15 PM »
I think Maelgwyn is Nonny/Mifletzet/Wonga having deliberately altered his writing style to sound stupider.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 06:20:06 PM »
I think Maelgwyn is Nonny/Mifletzet/Wonga having deliberately altered his writing style to sound stupider.

maelgwyn sounds like an Irish name

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 04:22:53 AM »
Zy Gazunt! :::D

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 07:00:47 AM »
I have a problem with him saying this as well, even if it was just an example.  Just an excuse to say it!  I would fire him instantly.  I mean instantly!  And then  when his income stops, and his remaining money dries up, and he loses his car and home, it would be tough shittt for him.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:11:43 AM by Aces High »

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 08:12:25 AM »
What if his example of a detestable opinion was that 'All Arabs should be killed'?
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline Rin Tin Tin

• Junior JTFer
Re: Jewish Girl accuses Professor of Anti Semitism 1 problem he's Jewish
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 03:23:41 PM »
He's screwed no matter what because in The People's Republic of Canuckistan, you get screwed for looking crosseyed at a minority.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 11:41:36 PM »
When people have told me they believe the earth is 6000 years old I've asked them before what they would think of someone who believed the earth was flat. Some of them might have thought that I believed it even though I was just using it as an example of a stupid opinion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 11:42:47 PM »
When people have told me they believe the earth is 6000 years old I've asked them before what they would think of someone who believed the earth was flat. Some of them might have thought that I believed it even though I was just using it as an example of a stupid opinion.

Of course because we don't know exactly when the earth was created, but man since Adam has been 6000 years (more accurately 5771 going on 5772 Jewish years) ...

We've discussed the Jewish belief countless times, and I don't want to repeat it here... But I understand what you are getting at.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 11:54:50 PM »
Of course because we don't know exactly when the earth was created, but man since Adam has been 6000 years (more accurately 5771 going on 5772 Jewish years) ...

We've discussed the Jewish belief countless times, and I don't want to repeat it here... But I understand what you are getting at.

I've discussed this with 911Avenger/DBF/CF before but not with the rest of the forum. I decided to not try to convince people about scientific views like that very much anymore because I found out there's a trick that atheists pull on people.

The truth of it or untruth of it is irrelevant, atheists use this against people who believe in God.

Basically what happens is that once someone accepts evolution (which I still do) as being created by God or a tool used by God to create, that the atheists will target these people with a vengeance, saying things like "Well how can you be logical or smart enough to accept that but then still hold onto your sky fairy myths" or they'll start wearing away at people's faith by trying to challenge this or that part of the Bible, trying to claim it was written by "goat herders", etc.

This is why if someone is a strong believer and I feel like accepting science might harm or weaken their faith, I don't do anything to try to convince them because I don't want to leave them open to the atheists wolves who will then target them.  If someone is very strongly grounded in their faith it's a different matter of course but I don't want to weaken someone's faith and leave them open to these predatory type atheists.