Author Topic: This is for Southern Jews i.e. Jews born and raised as Southerners...  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Daniel Michael ben Avraham

• Full JTFer
  • דניאל מיכאל בן אברהם
First of all let me preface this with the fact that this post has nothing to do with the color of your skin.  Being born and raised in the South I think I have a very different perspective of history of this country we live in now.  I say this country we live in now because as a Jew I do not expect any country other than Israel to be a place of permanent settlement for my family.  It hasn't ever been so in our history before and Torah teaches us it never will be.  Still we have been here since before the U.S. was the U.S., so it is important for me to learn from the past.  It kills me and I lament the fact that the Jews of the South were once such a vibrant community, but for the most part have faded away as a Torah Jews.  I have studied quite a bit about the history of Southern Jews.  I wonder what the sentiments are of other Jews that have family roots that go back prior to 1865.  Ours has been an interesting experience.  Are there any of y'all here or am I alone?

Here are some videos to put things into perspective:

Another interesting video to put into perspective the contribution other Southerners that happened to have darker skin made to our unique history (it isn't about your skin color it is about your origins):
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:47:49 AM by Daniel Michael ben Avraham »
The observant Jew has his own sense of values. Torah Judaism is his blueprint for this life, his target for existence.
מורנו הרב מאיר כהנא

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: This is for Southern Jews i.e. Jews born and raised as Southerners...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 10:01:15 AM »
Yes the Jews were unwelcome in the North                           

Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 10:20:58 AM »
Interesting how the blue state/red state divide is.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »
Interesting how the blue state/red state divide is.
true
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

• Full JTFer
  • דניאל מיכאל בן אברהם
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »
Check out this test it is funny:
http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest.html

And then there is the advanced test:
http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest_advanced.html

I found that on a random search about the differences between Northern folk and Southern folk.  It is quite interesting how language is so regional.

I honestly thought that I would score pretty evenly between the two.  Boy was I wrong.
The observant Jew has his own sense of values. Torah Judaism is his blueprint for this life, his target for existence.
מורנו הרב מאיר כהנא

• Full JTFer
  • דניאל מיכאל בן אברהם
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 01:54:59 PM »
The strange thing is that now the cost of living has gotten so out of hand in N.Y. that Jews are once again fleeing to the South.  Texas and Florida are getting of lot of new blood as a result.  Hmm, Miami beach sounds like a nice place.
מורנו הרב מאיר כהנא

• Full JTFer
  • דניאל מיכאל בן אברהם
This is a jewel of a find that you have got to listen to:
http://www.koshertorah.com/82911.mp3

Post you feedback.  I want to hear it.
מורנו הרב מאיר כהנא

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom

What is it about?
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member

My brother lived in western Tenn in W.Memphis all the people from Ark used to tell him what garbage clinton was

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 09:17:31 PM »
The south is more pro Jewish people love Jews in this area

• Full JTFer
  • דניאל מיכאל בן אברהם
What is it about?

The Southern Jewish perspective of the CSA from a very learned Rabbi.
מורנו הרב מאיר כהנא

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
The Southern Jewish perspective of the CSA from a very learned Rabbi.

Is that Rabbi Bar Tzaddok? I have listened to him for years... He is a self-described Kabbalist Rabbi and I like most of what he says...

I have spoken to Rabbi Bar Tzaddok and asked him about Rabbi Kahane. He said some kind words but did not have anything good to say about the surviving Kahanist organizations...

What is strange is that when I spoke to Rabbi Bar Tzadok he was living in California... It appears he is now in TN...

I found this address for him using google:

http://www.koshertorah.com/contact.html

Yeshivat Benei N'vi'im - KosherTorah.com
18375 Ventura Blvd. Suite 314  Tarzana, CA. 91356  USA
(Tel) 1-818-345-0888

Though now his site lists the following:

KosherTorah
P. O. Box 628
Tellico Plains, TN. 37385  USA
(Tel) 1-423-253-3555
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:36:05 AM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 12:45:41 AM »
In January of this year I reposted an article by Rabbi BarTzadok on the obligation of a Jew to own a gun...

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php?topic=52406.0

Last year I wrote this about Rabbi Bar Tzadok:

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,42518.0.html

• Full JTFer
  • דניאל מיכאל בן אברהם
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 01:30:55 AM »
Yes,that is him one and the same. Btw, I do not hold by Zohar in the least.
מורנו הרב מאיר כהנא

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 01:45:11 AM »
Yes,that is him one and the same. Btw, I do not hold by Zohar in the least.

What do you mean? The Zohar is considered Kabbalah by most Orthodox Rabbis... If you want to get in the discussion about the history of the Zohar we discussed it several years ago...

Kabbalah is a part of Chassidic Judaism, which I am a part of... If you don't hold by it so be it, but it is a part of Breslev Chassidut...

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
I have spoken to Rabbi Bar Tzaddok and asked him about Rabbi Kahane. He said some kind words but did not have anything good to say about the surviving Kahanist organizations...

Chaim doesn't usually have anything good to say about them either, since most of them are phony like the "JDL" of today.

• Full JTFer
  • דניאל מיכאל בן אברהם
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 08:53:49 AM »
What do you mean? The Zohar is considered Kabbalah by most Orthodox Rabbis... If you want to get in the discussion about the history of the Zohar we discussed it several years ago...

Kabbalah is a part of Chassidic Judaism, which I am a part of... If you don't hold by it so be it, but it is a part of Breslev Chassidut...

I don't want to get into that discussion which is why I said I do not hold by it.  I did not say anything about the Chassidim, so I am a bit confused as to why you mentioned those groups.  If you want to know the reason I do not hold by the Zohar, it is because it is not part of my tradition at all as the Spanish and Portuguese Jews will have nothing to do with it.  My family is of the Spanish and Portuguese flavor of Jews, which is one of the reasons I am so interested in the Southern Jewish thing as we have been part of the Southern U.S. for a long time.  There used to be many S&P Jewish communities in the South but almost all have completely disappeared as Torah communities.  To me that is extremely sad especially given that S&P Jews were formally so involved in Southern government and life in general.  If you read "The Jewish Confederates" you will see what I am talking about.  My sons are the last of my line to be raised as Torah observant Jews and I want them to be aware of our history, they are my prize and treasure.  Hopefully they will raise future generations in our homeland and not in the New World.  It is time we stop wandering around the world and return to Yerushalayim.  The irony is that today the only established S&P congregations in the U.S. of any size are Shearith Israel and Mikveh Israel which are both not in Dixie.  The most vibrant S&P communities are in London and Gibraltar.  The mother Esnoga in Amsterdam is in dire straights with all of the antisemitic stuff going on in the Netherlands.  So, now you know where I am coming from a little bit.
מורנו הרב מאיר כהנא

Offline Rightist2

• Full JTFer
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 11:38:24 AM »
On balance the Confederacy was a much better place for Jews to live than the Union.

http://www.jewishmag.com/112mag/confederates/confederates.htm
http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/r/rosen-confederates.html

An organisation called The League of the South appears to be pro Israel. Unlike the disgusting CofCC which attacked JTF: http://cofcc.org/2011/02/jewish-task-force/
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:45:04 AM by Rightist2 »

• Full JTFer
  • דניאל מיכאל בן אברהם
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 02:12:23 PM »
Here are a few great videos of Robert Rosen, the author of "The Jewish Confederates" on CSPAN video.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/300472-1

BTW, in addition to Jews and Blacks that served the CSA another group that is little known are the Cherokee that served as veterans of the CSA.
מורנו הרב מאיר כהנא

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 05:40:30 PM »
Jews don't care how well they are treated though, only how well their gods the schvartzes are.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »
Jews don't care how well they are treated though, only how well their gods the schvartzes are.

Huh? I hope that was supposed to be sarcastic..

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 07:08:15 PM »
You yourself have claimed on several occasions that we are required to do tzedakah for blacks as part of Tikkun Olam, no?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 07:43:29 PM »
You yourself have claimed on several occasions that we are required to do tzedakah for blacks as part of Tikkun Olam, no?

What does that have to do with anything... You are not implying that by giving charity one worships the one who receives the charity?

Charity, from the jewish perspective, is more about perfecting the character traits of the giver than helping the receiver {although the help given to the receiver is important}.

Maybe some of you can learn what exactly the Jewish concept of 'tzedakah' is:

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/jewfaq/tzedakah.htm

The Obligation of Tzedakah

Giving to the poor is an obligation in Judaism, a duty that cannot be forsaken even by those who are themselves in need.  Some sages have said that tzedakah is the highest of all commandments, equal to all of them combined, and that a person who does not perform tzedakah is equivalent to an idol worshipper.  Tzedakah is one of the three acts that gain us forgiveness from our sins.  The High Holiday liturgy states that God has inscribed a judgment against all who have sinned, but teshuvah (repentance), tefillah (prayer) and tzedakah can reverse the decree.  See Days of Awe.

According to Jewish law, we are required to give one-tenth of our income to the poor.  This is generally interpreted as one-tenth of our net income after payment of taxes.  Those who are dependent on public assistance or living on the edge of subsistence may give less; no one should give so much that he would become a public burden, nor more than twenty percent of his assets even if he would not become a public burden.

The obligation to perform tzedakah can be fulfilled by giving money to the poor, to health care institutions, to synagogues, or to educational institutions.  It can also be fulfilled by supporting your children beyond the age when you are legally required to, or supporting your parents in their old age.  The obligation includes giving to both Jews and Gentiles; contrary to popular belief, Jews do not just "take care of our own".

Judaism acknowledges that many people who ask for charity have no genuine need.  In fact, the Talmud suggests that this is a good thing:  if all people who asked for charity were in genuine need, we would be subject to punishment (from God) for refusing anyone who asked.  The existence of frauds diminishes our liability for failing to give to all who ask, because we have some legitimate basis for doubting the beggar's sincerity.  It is permissible to investigate the legitimacy of a charity before donating to it.

We have an obligation to avoid becoming in need of tzedakah.  A person should take any work that is available, even if he thinks it is beneath his dignity, to avoid becoming a public charge.  In particular, Jewish legal scholars, teachers, and rabbis must make their living at something other than teaching the Oral Torah and relying on charity, even if this entails hardships for them, lest they profane God's name, and lose their part in the World to Come.  Unfortunately, many rabbis have failed to take this seriously in recent generations; some have brazenly gone so far as to say that the public must support them, and that they are forbidden to work.

If a person is truly in need, however, and has no way to obtain money on his own, he should not feel embarrassed to accept tzedakah.  No one should feel too proud to take money from others.  In fact, it is considered a transgression to refuse tzedakah.  One who would sooner die than to accept tzedakah, when he must do so in order to survive, is as if he sheds his own blood.

• Full JTFer
  • דניאל מיכאל בן אברהם
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 10:41:27 PM »
Hmm, this is getting quite a bit off subject now isn't it?
מורנו הרב מאיר כהנא

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 12:19:54 AM »
Hmm, this is getting quite a bit off subject now isn't it?

Sorry...