Author Topic: israel leading in medical marijauna research  (Read 2286 times)

Offline The proud Jew

• Pro JTFer
israel leading in medical marijauna research
« on: October 31, 2011, 04:48:59 PM »
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4141750,00.html

I personally see this as a good thing for sick jewish patients in israel who need it.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: israel leading in medical marijauna research
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 04:58:39 PM »
I wonder why more research isn't done on other herbs? Most of them are left to unreliable supplement status while marijuana gets most of the scientific attention and research.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 04:59:08 PM »
I don't have a problem with it as long as it is regulated extremely closely and not abused....just like it should be for opiate drugs etc.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 05:34:30 PM »
weed is nowhere near as bad as some of the other painkillers on the market. if its fine to prescribe those in certain situations, certainly weed is OK in lesser cases too.

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 06:01:44 PM »
בס''ד

Marijuana is a drug that has destroyed the lives of many "potheads". Marijuana is addictive and harmful.

Moreover, marijuana is a "gateway drug" that leads many users to eventually become addicted to harder deadly drugs such as heroin, cocaine, crack, meth etc.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 06:43:19 PM »
בס''ד

Marijuana is a drug that has destroyed the lives of many "potheads". Marijuana is addictive and harmful.

Moreover, marijuana is a "gateway drug" that leads many users to eventually become addicted to harder deadly drugs such as heroin, cocaine, crack, meth etc.

Maybe, but shouldn't that be people's own choice? If someone chooses to smoke/ drink etc. and not hurt or affect anyone else (for example not to drive drunk or stoned etc.) why should we stop him/her?
   Also I believe I saw in Jon Stossels show where he says that places with more freedom with these things have and has lead to less addiction and less harm.
  Basically why should their be government regulation to issues of people's health, especially where soo much of Americas tax $ are being wasted in the war on drugs. I mean why should someone who smokes lets say in the privacy of their own home be sent to jail basically for not committing any real crime. And on top of that why should society pay heavily for it (when that $ can be used for soo many needed things, or even given back to the tax payers).
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 06:48:02 PM »
בס''ד

Can I get an mmmhmmm?

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 07:13:02 PM »
בס''ד

However, it has some medicinal properties which are important to investigate.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »
בס''ד

You are absolutely right.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 08:26:44 PM »
בס''ד

Chaim is 100% right on this one.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »
I think this is great news. I disagree with those who call Pot a gateway drug. It is no more a gateway drug than alcohol. Marijuana is not a narcotic, it has nothing in common with Cocaine or Methamphetamine and thus there is no addiction to those substances caused by Marijuana.

I have known a lot of people who got caught up in drugs... But nobody I know ever had a problem with Marijuana. Granted I have no compassion for those who do cocaine or methamphetamine as these are very dangerous drugs. But Marijuana is not anywhere near as bad for a person than alcohol is. Why should alcohol be legal while Marijuana is not?

I also know that it helps with pain and it is better for you than taking the narcotic pain medications.

http://scienceblog.com/12116/study-says-marijuana-no-gateway-drug/

Study says marijuana no gateway drug
December 4, 2006

Marijuana is not a “gateway” drug that predicts or eventually leads to substance abuse, suggests a 12-year University of Pittsburgh study. Moreover, the study’s findings call into question the long-held belief that has shaped prevention efforts and governmental policy for six decades and caused many a parent to panic upon discovering a bag of pot in their child’s bedroom.

http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/29/marijuna-as-a-gateway-drug-the-myth-that-will-not-die/

Scientists long ago abandoned the idea that marijuana causes users to try other drugs: as far back as 1999, in a report commissioned by Congress to look at the possible dangers of medical marijuana, the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences wrote:

Patterns in progression of drug use from adolescence to adulthood are strikingly regular. Because it is the most widely used illicit drug, marijuana is predictably the first illicit drug most people encounter. Not surprisingly, most users of other illicit drugs have used marijuana first. In fact, most drug users begin with alcohol and nicotine before marijuana — usually before they are of legal age.

In the sense that marijuana use typically precedes rather than follows initiation of other illicit drug use, it is indeed a "gateway" drug. But because underage smoking and alcohol use typically precede marijuana use, marijuana is not the most common, and is rarely the first, "gateway" to illicit drug use. There is no conclusive evidence that the drug effects of marijuana are causally linked to the subsequent abuse of other illicit drugs.

Since then, numerous other studies have failed to support the gateway idea. Every year, the federal government funds two huge surveys on drug use in the population. Over and over they find that the number of people who try marijuana dwarfs that for cocaine or heroin. For example, in 2009, 2.3 million people reported trying pot — compared with 617,000 who tried cocaine and 180,000 who tried heroin. (More on Time.com: See photos of cannabis conventions)

So what accounts for the massive correlation between marijuana use and use of other drugs? One key factor is taste. People who are extremely interested in altering their consciousness are likely to want to try more than one way of doing it. If you are a true music fan, you probably won't stick to listening to just one band or even a single genre —  this doesn't make lullabies a gateway to the Grateful Dead, it means that people who really like music probably like many different songs and groups.

Second is marijuana's illegality: you aren't likely to be able to find a heroin dealer if you can't even score weed. Compared with pot dealers, sellers of hard drugs tend to be even less trusting of customers they don't know, in part because they face greater penalties. But if you've proved yourself by regularly purchasing marijuana, dealers will happily introduce to you to their harder product lines if you express interest, or help you find a friend of theirs who can.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20015429-10391704.html
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:58:14 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 08:59:33 PM »
We have had this debate before... I am not advocating that people should do it... I am just advocating that there should be more research into the medical uses of it... I know that it has medical uses...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 09:08:04 PM »
I agree with Muman!  Also, I would never support anyone who advocated outlawing medical marijuana.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 09:28:40 PM »
We have had this debate before... I am not advocating that people should do it... I am just advocating that there should be more research into the medical uses of it... I know that it has medical uses...

Pot is a gatewway drug and I better get an 'mmmhmmm" for that, especially from you

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Pot is a gatewway drug and I better get an 'mmmhmmm" for that, especially from you

It is just much more available, soo people are more likely to try it first (also less strong as others). In fact I would guess that Alcohol is more of a gateway drug then marijuana since people probably (mostly) try that first before all.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 09:45:13 PM »

This is a legal drug, yett not many people are using it, believe me once this becomes "Illigal" the desire and want for it will dramatically go up.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 09:46:07 PM »
  It is just much more available, soo people are more likely to try it first (also less strong as others). In fact I would guess that Alcohol is more of a gateway drug then marijuana since people probably (mostly) try that first before all.

yes... That is most certainly true, and the studies I posted above mention this...

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 09:47:24 PM »

This is a legal drug, yett not many people are using it, believe me once this becomes "Illigal" the desire and want for it will dramatically go up.

This is a very dangerous substance and should be made illegal immediately

Offline IsraeliGovtAreKapos

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 10:42:55 PM »
I think this is great news. I disagree with those who call Pot a gateway drug. It is no more a gateway drug than alcohol. Marijuana is not a narcotic, it has nothing in common with Cocaine or Methamphetamine and thus there is no addiction to those substances caused by Marijuana.

I have known a lot of people who got caught up in drugs... But nobody I know ever had a problem with Marijuana. Granted I have no compassion for those who do cocaine or methamphetamine as these are very dangerous drugs. But Marijuana is not anywhere near as bad for a person than alcohol is. Why should alcohol be legal while Marijuana is not?

I also know that it helps with pain and it is better for you than taking the narcotic pain medications.

http://scienceblog.com/12116/study-says-marijuana-no-gateway-drug/

http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/29/marijuna-as-a-gateway-drug-the-myth-that-will-not-die/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20015429-10391704.html

And you call yourself a religious Jew?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:48:30 PM by Fourth Philosophy »

Offline The proud Jew

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 11:08:29 PM »

no need for lashon hara.

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 11:12:24 PM »
There is no prohibition of marijuana in the Torah. Cannabis was used in rituals by Jewish priests.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline The proud Jew

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 11:24:53 PM »
There is no prohibition of marijuana in the Torah. Cannabis was used in rituals by Jewish priests.

When did our cohanim ever use canabis in our torah? I request that you back up your statements with evidence.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 11:37:59 PM »

That is debatable. I have never heard a Rabbi state this. Could you find any source which supports this?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 11:40:01 PM »

What does being a religious Jew have to do with this? There is nothing in the Torah which prohibits medication.

Also you have not disproven the studies which show that it is not a gateway drug. You simply have tried to attack me..

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 11:51:53 PM »
Anyone who would be against research into MEDICAL USES for marijuana truly needs their head examined.  We are talking about something that has been shown in some studies to have anticancer properties.   By comparison to what is on the market to treat cancer, if marijuana could prove to be an effective treatment, its limited side effects would be an amusement park ride compared to what many people go through.   Something extremely less damaging than other treatments (and could combat a common problem in cancer treatment - the extreme loss of apetite by the patient which leads to pathological circumstances).  It could end up being concentrated as a stand-alone for some treatment or used in tandem with something else to improve current treatment.   We can't know ahead of time.  But if we don't do the research, we will continue to know nothing.  Those suggesting we remain in the dark about its medicinal properties simply have not seen the promising research that has been done w it up to this point, and they do a disservice to mankind with absolutely no reason to support them.   Taking marijuana as a medical treatment (to treat debilitating pain for instance, let's say), is going to lead to a cocaine addiction?  Lol, on what planet?   That's like saying taking an arthritis drug will cause someone to be an alcoholic someday.   No logic to that.