Author Topic: STUXNET Redux : Revenge of Duqu  (Read 467 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
STUXNET Redux : Revenge of Duqu
« on: November 15, 2011, 12:22:01 AM »
It looks like Phase II of the Stuxnet virus has struck against Iranian nuclear research computers. Earlier last month there were stories about a variant of the Stuxnet worm which has already done considerable damage {according to reports} against the Iranian nuclear material centrifuges. This new variant behaves in a manner which allows the attacker to examine the infrastructure of the internal networks allowing them to fine-tune the attacks against the enemies computer assets. Although I only know what I have read in the news and on computer technology websites it does seem that some very high technology wizardry went into crafting these awesome bugs.

See this story:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/11/14/iran-admits-nuclear-sites-hit-by-duqu-cyberweapon/

Iran Admits Nuclear Sites Hit by 'Duqu' Cyberweapon
Published November 14, 2011 | FoxNews.com

Iranian officials admitted Sunday that they had uncovered evidence of the Duqu computer virus -- labeled "Son of Stuxnet" by cyber experts -- at the Islamic Republic's nuclear sites, state-controlled IRNA news agency reported.

"We are in the initial phase of fighting the Duqu virus," Gholamreza Jalali, was quoted as saying. "The final report which says which organizations the virus has spread to and what its impacts are has not been completed yet."

Duqu is the second major weaponized virus to turn computers into lethal weapons with devastating destructive power.

The new program, discovered by Symantec in mid-October with the help of an unnamed research lab, uses much of the same code as the 2010 Stuxnet virus did. But instead of destroying the systems it infects, Duqu secretly penetrates them and, according to some experts, creates “back door” vulnerabilities that can be exploited to destroy the networks at any time its creators may choose.

The original Stuxnet malware was the culmination of a vast technical and espionage effort that had only one target in mind: the Iranian nuclear program. And is widely believed to be the work of the United States and Israel. Experts who looked at the program were amazed at its ability to penetrate Iran’s secure, highly protected security system and destroy it without being detected.

Its success set back the Iranian nuclear program for years.

Roel Schouwenberg, a senior researcher with security analysis firm Kaspersky, told Computerworld on Monday that the new revelations of attacks are not the first: Iran described similar attacks in April and pegged them to a virus it called "stars."

That was Duqu too, Schouwenberg said.

"We're convinced, in at least one of these Duqu attacks, that the keylogger Iran identified as Stars was actually the same as the one included with Duqu," he said.

According to Computerworld, Kaspersky blamed Iran for not sharing the Stars malware with other countries, a move that delayed the public disclosure of the threat.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: STUXNET Redux : Revenge of Duqu
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 01:00:50 AM »
It just occurred to me...

Maybe this 'duqu' worm played a part in the missile 'mishap' last Saturday?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline BritishSword

• Pro JTFer
    • Lawful Rebellion
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 10:55:09 AM »
I thought Duqu was that bad guy from star wars.
I'm British. I'm Sharp.  I'm Deadly.
I am BritishSword

6a55022f0e321cd66b22318630573230965751cf

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 11:03:24 AM »
All it really does is delay the inevitable.. Although I have to say this is particularly clever and genius when it comes down to a country that doesn't want to get its hands bloody.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein