Author Topic: any jtf dentist experts here, i need advice  (Read 4168 times)

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
any jtf dentist experts here, i need advice
« on: November 16, 2011, 05:45:46 AM »
On sunday i was playing football(soccer) and collided with this other guy which knocked my two front teeth inwards(but still in socket) severely. I went straight to accident and emergency and within a hour and a half had my teeth put back centrally in their teeth sockets. Went to a dentist the next day, they straightened them out to join up with my other two teeth on either side with teeth splints. So now they are really sraight.

My concern is that there potential i may need root canals for both teeth because of the trauma. Im hoping the quick action i did, has prevented this but i am thinking the worst. The teeth are clean and have not discoulored yet(early days i know), and i have a follow up in a weeks time, and will have multiple appointments to monitor the situation.

But root canals seem to be getting bad press, i dont mind the procedure, im just worried ill end up with two dead front teeth.(even though their is no evience for this as yet)

Can anyone give me some advice?thanks.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: any jtf dentist experts here, i need advice
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 07:36:22 AM »
Dr. Dan is a dentist. Hopefully he can help you when he sees this thread or you could PM him.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 08:12:39 AM »
On sunday i was playing football(soccer) and collided with this other guy which knocked my two front teeth inwards(but still in socket) severely. I went straight to accident and emergency and within a hour and a half had my teeth put back centrally in their teeth sockets. Went to a dentist the next day, they straightened them out to join up with my other two teeth on either side with teeth splints. So now they are really sraight.

My concern is that there potential i may need root canals for both teeth because of the trauma. Im hoping the quick action i did, has prevented this but i am thinking the worst. The teeth are clean and have not discoulored yet(early days i know), and i have a follow up in a weeks time, and will have multiple appointments to monitor the situation.

But root canals seem to be getting bad press, i dont mind the procedure, im just worried ill end up with two dead front teeth.(even though their is no evience for this as yet)

Can anyone give me some advice?thanks.

Dentist right here, bro.

The appropriate thing for the time being is wait and see what happens.  If a root canal is going to be straight forward and the bone around your teeth are good it's with saving them if you need a root canal.  If your teeth discolor from the inside and they can be saved, they can always be bleached from the inside or get crowns.  It's possible that
a root canal won't work long term, but if you can save your teeth try and do that.
In the end, if you were to lose then in the future, a dental implant is always available if you nerd to replace it.

But first things first, if it's possible, keep what you can add long add it doesn't require a weird dental surgery.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:18:34 AM by Dr. Dan »
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 08:12:44 AM »
use some crazy glue :laugh:
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 08:40:31 AM »
Dentist right here, bro.

The appropriate thing for the time being is wait and see what happens.  If a root canal is going to be straight forward and the bone around your teeth are good it's with saving them if you need a root canal.  If your teeth discolor from the inside and they can be saved, they can always be bleached from the inside or get crowns.  It's possible that
a root canal won't work long term, but if you can save your teeth try and do that.
In the end, if you were to lose then in the future, a dental implant is always available if you nerd to replace it.

But first things first, if it's possible, keep what you can add long add it doesn't require a weird dental surgery.

I have so many questions :(

Does the fact that the teeth although badly displaced but never loose from the socketgive me a fighting chance?Does the fact that i delt with it very quickly improve my chances? With the wait and see method, is that for the rest of my life, or is it within a year i will find out my teeths fate?

One final question, is the fact that i had othortondistry make my splints more accurate to keep my front teeth straight?

Sorry for all he questions but ive never really had any dental problems before.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 08:49:11 AM »
I have so many questions :(

Does the fact that the teeth although badly displaced but never loose from the socketgive me a fighting chance?Does the fact that i delt with it very quickly improve my chances? With the wait and see method, is that for the rest of my life, or is it within a year i will find out my teeths fate?

One final question, is the fact that i had othortondistry make my splints more accurate to keep my front teeth straight?

Sorry for all he questions but ive never really had any dental problems before.

It's ok.  The fact that your teeth didn't crack or break or fracture is a good thing.  However the reasons that they might have moved is because either the bone around the teeth fractured.  If that happened, don't worry. Bone heals well.  If the tooth moved because of a strong force and didn't break the bone..like a fast orthodontic treatment, the only thing I would expect overtime is a process call ankylosis.  Ankylosis means that the ligaments in between your tooth and bone disappear and bone directly attaches to the tooth or teeth.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

The injury of your teeth banging can begin a process of the teeth nerve dying or even bleeding...but you would have to wait and see.

Orthodontics might have helped put your teeth in the right position.

and the faster you acted the higher the liklihood that things will work out in your favor.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 09:26:54 AM »

Dr Dan where's your office?
I need a dentist too.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 09:36:54 AM »
The local quack put me on some breathing tablets & nearly all my teeth fell out ! I had pull some out with my fingers and pliars !  NHS Dentistry is an blasted shambles! >:(

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 01:22:12 PM »
Mael are you serious?

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 11:22:28 PM »
YES! Quite serious !   :o

Offline Dan

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 11:39:47 PM »
I'm sure Dr.Dan is a great dentist, after all he's a great JTFer!!!

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 03:57:22 AM »
It's ok.  The fact that your teeth didn't crack or break or fracture is a good thing.  However the reasons that they might have moved is because either the bone around the teeth fractured.  If that happened, don't worry. Bone heals well.  If the tooth moved because of a strong force and didn't break the bone..like a fast orthodontic treatment, the only thing I would expect overtime is a process call ankylosis.  Ankylosis means that the ligaments in between your tooth and bone disappear and bone directly attaches to the tooth or teeth.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

The injury of your teeth banging can begin a process of the teeth nerve dying or even bleeding...but you would have to wait and see.

Orthodontics might have helped put your teeth in the right position.

and the faster you acted the higher the liklihood that things will work out in your favor.

thanks Dan that sounds about right mate. they reckon ive got a tiny fracture above the teeth in the upper lip area, so i think the impact didnt actually hit the teeth otherwise im pretty sure i would be toothless.

What i was refering to with the splints was that because my other two teeth are perfectly straight, does that mean my front teeth will angle with them as they are effectively being joined to them? Im not to fused, just more curious as i dont know what splints are?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 06:39:59 AM »
YES! Quite serious !   :o

Why were you pulling your own teeth out with pliers? You can't blame the medicine for that, I would have gone to a dentist if they were loose and see if they really needed to be removed or if they could be saved and if they did need removal then you would have at least had some pain killer!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 06:40:41 AM »
thanks Dan that sounds about right mate. they reckon ive got a tiny fracture above the teeth in the upper lip area, so i think the impact didnt actually hit the teeth otherwise im pretty sure i would be toothless.

What i was refering to with the splints was that because my other two teeth are perfectly straight, does that mean my front teeth will angle with them as they are effectively being joined to them? Im not to fused, just more curious as i dont know what splints are?

Think of it this way.  If you have a sprained finger or broken bone, they splint that finger with a healthy one so they're will be less pressure in it while it is healing.  Bone heals.  Teeth enamel doesn't.  First things first is for the bone to heal for the youth to stay healthy and then it is decides if minor orthodontics is needed to put the tooth in the right spot.

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 08:07:08 AM »
Think of it this way.  If you have a sprained finger or broken bone, they splint that finger with a healthy one so they're will be less pressure in it while it is healing.  Bone heals.  Teeth enamel doesn't.  First things first is for the bone to heal for the youth to stay healthy and then it is decides if minor orthodontics is needed to put the tooth in the right spot.

yea im actually very happy where it is at the moment, but its hard to say for sure as my uoper gum and lips were so swollen its hard to get everything in proportion, but if it is out of place, its literally going to be very mild orthodistry :) I guess havin all the other teeth straigh gives them a good reference point, and the fact that it never left its socket helps.

thanks for all the info mate..

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 09:23:30 AM »
RUBYSTAR, My teeth disintegrated while eating & fillings fell out , i removed the rest, i still have the front teeth. Iam not registered with a Dentist, private dental treatment is too costly , also i have a high pain tolerance, i live in the middle of no where , without transport only my feet, plus i have a 88 year old mater to look after 7/24 and can only leave my home in an emergency! 

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 02:17:17 PM »
RUBYSTAR, My teeth disintegrated while eating & fillings fell out , i removed the rest, i still have the front teeth. Iam not registered with a Dentist, private dental treatment is too costly , also i have a high pain tolerance, i live in the middle of no where , without transport only my feet, plus i have a 88 year old mater to look after 7/24 and can only leave my home in an emergency!  

Oh I see! I hope you can get some kind of bridges/dentures later that will help you to chew better. Would you be able to post what the medicine was? Of course it's your own private business but I'm curious so I don't ever take it. I've been on prednisone before when I've had bronchitis or other 'breathing medicine' although I don't use the inhalers they want to give me because they make me feel kind of nervous or hyper.

Things are better since I started working overnights (less exposure to people) but in general most years I've had a case of bronchitis in the Spring. It starts out as allergies then I get some kind of infection and end up on antibiotics (which clears it up within a couple of days, but I go ahead and take the whole Z-pack) When I don't get antibiotics it just deteriorates, I found that out when I wasn't able to go to my regular doctor and the other moron doctor refused to give them to me and I ended up missing work because of him and he ended up having to prescribe them anyway when I got worse. He declared it a virus and I know for a FACT he can NOT know that unless he does a culture and finds no infectious bacteria, which takes time to grow anyway. I ended up losing out on a lot of money because of him from not being able to go to work. I tried to tell him that I'd take the whole course so he didn't have to be stingy with it and I didn't think he could know whether it was a virus or a bacteria but he wouldn't listen to me. He cost me about $70 of lost work. If it had run into a few hundred I would've taken him to small claims court for causing me to miss work due to his arrogance but as it was I think I wasn't able to.

If I could buy Z pack over the counter I would, that's the main reason I go to the doctor at all, because the law says they have to prescribe it for me. If I can find a Canadian pharmacy that sells it maybe I would buy it from there instead. It would save me a heck of a lot of money but if I buy it and then don't get sick that year it will be for nothing.

I may end up having to do that if for some reason I can't go to my regular doctor's office one day.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:34:46 PM by Rubystars »

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 09:58:05 PM »
Dr. Dan,

Ever since I had a permanent crown placed in my right upper quadrant in the back, I feel like I have a lot of food collecting there and it gives me a bilateral headache.  Have you heard of this?

Thanks

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 10:05:11 PM »
Dr. Dan,

Ever since I had a permanent crown placed in my right upper quadrant in the back, I feel like I have a lot of food collecting there and it gives me a bilateral headache.  Have you heard of this?

Thanks

Yes I see this a lot.  Your crown should be touching the adjacent tooth.  But since it is open it is causing food impaction and this can lead to your symptoms and eventually bone loss.  You need to go back to your dentist to have him redo it.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 10:15:08 PM »
My wife has almost alllllll her teeth black.
She just had one cut up by an oral surgeon, not a dentist.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 10:17:13 PM »
Yes I see this a lot.  Your crown should be touching the adjacent tooth.  But since it is open it is causing food impaction and this can lead to your symptoms and eventually bone loss.  You need to go back to your dentist to have him redo it.

Thank you Dr. Dan. I suspected this. I figured with the temporary crown, I would live with it because it was temporary, but this is very bothersome.  Thanks.  I also grind, which I'm sure doesnt help.  I have a hard night guard for my upper teeth

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 10:21:31 PM »
Oh I see! I hope you can get some kind of bridges/dentures later that will help you to chew better. Would you be able to post what the medicine was? Of course it's your own private business but I'm curious so I don't ever take it. I've been on prednisone before when I've had bronchitis or other 'breathing medicine' although I don't use the inhalers they want to give me because they make me feel kind of nervous or hyper.

Things are better since I started working overnights (less exposure to people) but in general most years I've had a case of bronchitis in the Spring. It starts out as allergies then I get some kind of infection and end up on antibiotics (which clears it up within a couple of days, but I go ahead and take the whole Z-pack) When I don't get antibiotics it just deteriorates, I found that out when I wasn't able to go to my regular doctor and the other moron doctor refused to give them to me and I ended up missing work because of him and he ended up having to prescribe them anyway when I got worse. He declared it a virus and I know for a FACT he can NOT know that unless he does a culture and finds no infectious bacteria, which takes time to grow anyway. I ended up losing out on a lot of money because of him from not being able to go to work. I tried to tell him that I'd take the whole course so he didn't have to be stingy with it and I didn't think he could know whether it was a virus or a bacteria but he wouldn't listen to me. He cost me about $70 of lost work. If it had run into a few hundred I would've taken him to small claims court for causing me to miss work due to his arrogance but as it was I think I wasn't able to.

If I could buy Z pack over the counter I would, that's the main reason I go to the doctor at all, because the law says they have to prescribe it for me. If I can find a Canadian pharmacy that sells it maybe I would buy it from there instead. It would save me a heck of a lot of money but if I buy it and then don't get sick that year it will be for nothing.

I may end up having to do that if for some reason I can't go to my regular doctor's office one day.

Its awful that you get this every spring. Z-paks are helpful.  The thing is that if you use it every year, there is a chance that you will become resistant.  Are you sure you dont have severe allergies?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 10:22:34 PM »
Thank you Dr. Dan. I suspected this. I figured with the temporary crown, I would live with it because it was temporary, but this is very bothersome.  Thanks.  I also grind, which I'm sure doesnt help.  I have a hard night guard for my upper teeth

Yeh grinding didn't make it any better especially if teeth are wearing out.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 10:24:10 PM »
My wife has almost alllllll her teeth black.
She just had one cut up by an oral surgeon, not a dentist.

What happened?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 10:37:28 PM »
What happened?

She grew up in China. No such thing as dental care.

Her roots got rotted and had to be cut up because the anti biotics didn't do any good.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774