Author Topic: Science & The Torah  (Read 2349 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Science & The Torah
« on: November 30, 2011, 12:18:26 AM »
A news item I saw this evening caught my interest concerning new research on the intelligence of Ravens.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/study-ravens-communicate-better-most-animal-kingdom

Study: Ravens communicate better than most of animal kingdom
Doug O'Harra | Nov 29, 2011

Ravens have been observed using their beaks and body language to direct another raven’s attention, marking the first time such complex gesturing has been documented beyond humans and their primate cousins.

Wild ravens in the Austrian alps have been observed using their beaks and body language to direct another raven’s attention to a specific object, marking the first time such complex gesturing has been documented in an animal outside of humans and their primate cousins.

The findings suggest that Corvus corvax -- those canny black birds that dominant both Alaska Native myth and Anchorage’s winter-time parking lots -- may have communication abilities and intelligence that puts them on par with bonobos.

So I started to wonder what Jewish wisdom is about the Raven. The sages have attributed many characteristics to the animal kingdom. Even King David wrote Perek Shira/"Chapter of Song" which relate the songs each of the animals sings:

“He teaches us from the animals of the land, and from the birds of the heavens He makes us wise.” (Job 35:11)

“Rabbi Yochanan said: Had the Torah not been given, we would have learned modesty from the cat, the prohibition of theft from the ant, the prohibition of forbidden relationships from the dove, and the proper method of conjugal relations from fowl.” (Talmud, Eruvin 100b)

Perek Shirah, literally “A Chapter Of Song,” is an ancient and mysterious text of unknown authorship, although some commentaries attribute it to King David. It takes the form of a list of eighty-four elements of the natural world, including elements of the sky and of the earth, plants, birds, animals, and insects, attaching a verse from the Bible to each. The concept behind Perek Shirah is that everything in the natural world teaches us a lesson in philosophy or ethics, and the verse gives a clue as to what that lesson is.

Well it appears that Jewish tradition has some insight into the nature of the Raven. Noach sent the Raven out of the Ark first in order to determine if the flood waters had receded enough for dry land to appear. Here is what Ohr Sameachs Rabbi says about the Raven:

http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/122/Q2/

Kalman Estrin wrote:

In a conversation a few months ago, a friend raised the following question. The RAVEN is specifically identified in the story of Noah as the first bird that Noah sends out in search of land. The Raven is also given special prominence in the dietary laws concerning which birds are clean and which are not. Is there a special significance and symbolism connected to the raven?

Dear Kalman Estrin,

Noah sent the raven to find out the state of the world. Since the raven is a bird of prey, it would return with carrion of man or beast if the water had abated to that degree. The raven failed, however, flying back and forth time after time.

Why did Noah send a raven specifically? According to the Talmud, Hashem forbade procreation on the Ark, but the raven violated this prohibition. Therefore, Noah reasoned that of all the birds, the raven was the safest one to send out on this dangerous mission. That way, if the raven didn't survive it wouldn't mean the extinction of its species.

Also, the ancients considered the raven a portent of the future. They would build special cages where the priests would study the motions and flying formations of the ravens. They interpreted these movements as divinations of the future. In this sense, the raven's mission was successful, since Noah could discern from the raven's flying patterns something about the future.

Also, the raven reminds us of Hashem's kindness to even the most helpless of creatures. How? Ravens are cruel to their young, leaving them to die of starvation. But Hashem has mercy on them, and provides them with insects to eat. Thus, sending the raven may have been Noah's way of asking Hashem "Please provide for us, just as you provide for the poor helpless young ravens."

I find it interesting that Judaism gives the Raven the ability to know the future and communicate it through its motions.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Science & The Torah
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 12:33:08 AM »
Wow, I have never read Perek Shirah but I just downloaded a copy [link below] and the introduction is awesome. Apparently Rabbi Eliezer approved of this writing, even claiming that those who study it will be granted the world to come, redemption from gehinnom, and other incredible blessings...

Read this:

http://www.zootorah.com/books/Perek%20Shirah%20booklet.pdf

Rabbi Eliezer said: Anyone who involves himself with Perek Shirah in this world, merits saying it in the World-to-Come, as it says, “Then Moshe will sing”; it does not say “sang,” but “will sing” in the World-to-Come.

And Rebbi said: Anyone who involves himself with Perek Shirah in this world – I testify that he is destined for the World-to-Come, and he is saved from the evil inclination, and from harsh judgment, and from the destroying Satan, and from all types of enemies, and from the birth pangs of Mashiach, and from the judgment of Gehennom; and he merits to learn and to teach, to observe and to fulfill and to perform [the Torah], and his studies are established in him, and his days are lengthened, and he merits life in the World-to-Come.

The Sages said concerning King David that when he completed the book of Psalms, he became proud. He said before the Holy One, Blessed be He, “Is there any creature You have created in Your world that says more songs and praises than I?” At that moment a frog happened across his path, and it said to him: David! Do not become proud, for I recite more songs and praises than you. Furthermore, every song I say contains three thousand parables, as it says, “And he spoke three thousand parables, and his songs were one thousand five hundred” (Kings I 5:12). And furthermore, I am busy with a great mitzvah, and this is the mitzvah with which I am busy – there is a certain type of creature by the edge of the sea whose sustenance is entirely from [creatures living in] the water, and when it is hungry, it takes me and eats me, such that I fulfill that which it says, “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink; for you shall heap coals of fire on his head, and G-d shall reward you” (Proverbs 25:21-22); do not read “shall reward you” but instead “shall make him complete you.”

(Yalkut, end of Psalms)

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:28:06 AM »
Noach sent a raven?  Why do people say it was a dove?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 01:41:25 AM »
Noach sent a raven?  Why do people say it was a dove?

Well, let me look at the Torah portion from the Chabad website @ http://www.chabad.org/parshah/torahreading.asp?AID=9168&p=complete

Noach Genesis 8

6. And it came to pass at the end of forty days, that Noah opened the window of the ark that he had made.

7. And he sent forth the raven, and it went out, back and forth until the waters dried up off the earth.
ז. וַיְשַׁלַּח אֶת הָעֹרֵב וַיֵּצֵא יָצוֹא וָשׁוֹב עַד יְבֹשֶׁת הַמַּיִם מֵעַל הָאָרֶץ

8. And he sent forth the dove from with him, to see whether the waters had abated from upon the surface of the earth

It appears the Raven was sent first, and then the dove....

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:50:12 AM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 01:57:29 AM »
There is more to this story than I have written... There are reasons that the Raven was sent, and it had to do with improper relations...

http://www.tfdixie.com/parshat/noach/012.htm

"And it came to pass at the end of forty days, that Noah opened the window of the ark which he had made. He sent out the raven, and it kept going and returning until the drying of the waters from upon the earth. And he sent out the dove from him to see whether the water had subsided from the face of the ground." (Genesis 8:6-8).

Did you ever read this passage and wonder, "Why did Noah send the raven?" Seemingly, it didn’t accomplish anything. The narrative would’ve flowed just fine without its mention. However, as will be developed further, the episode of the raven has much to teach us.

Rashi, the preeminent Torah commentator, explains that initially, Noah was intent on sending the raven to search for dry land. However, the raven was hovering around the ark instead. Why did it refuse to go on the expedition? According to the Talmud (Tractate Sanhedrin 108b), the raven refused to go because it was concerned for the preservation of its species. It challenged Noah along these lines: "I am hated because seven of the clean species were taken in the ark, while only two of the unclean (of which the raven is considered; see Leviticus 11:15.) were granted refuge. Yet you choose to send me out!" It reasoned that were harm to come to it during a reconnaissance flight, there would only be the female left of its kind. (According to the Maharal of Prague, one of the seminal figures of Jewish thought of the last five centuries, Noah did not actually speak with the raven, rather he intuited from the raven’s refusal to leave that it was instinctively concerned for the preservation of its kind.)

The Talmud states that the raven gave a second reason for refusing to go: "Or perhaps you need my wife!" To which Noah replied, "Wicked one! Relations with my wife are forbidden in the ark, all the moreso with a female of a prohibited species!" Pretty deep stuff here.

The Ohr Hachaim, the classic 18th century Kabbalist and Talmudic scholar, explains that those who accuse someone of a blemish, possess that blemish themselves. Thus, Noah inferred from the raven’s accusation that it had had relations with its mate while on the ark, something that all creatures were forbidden to engage in during the flood (see Talmud Tractate Sanhedrin 108b). Because of this indiscretion, Noah wasn’t sending the raven on any mission, rather he was kicking it off the boat! This explanation comports with the Torah’s reference to the dove’s actually searching for dry land, while no such reason is proffered for the raven’s departure. The Torah further relates that Noah took the dove back in, but no similar action is stated concerning the raven. Apparently, it was evicted from the ark for bad behavior!

According to a fascinating midrash, Noah answers the raven’s concern for self-preservation by castigating it, saying that it serves no purpose, and is therefore expendable. However, G-d interjects and remonstrates Noah that indeed, the raven does have a purpose--it was prepared for another mission, during the days of Elijah the prophet. To reproach the people and their wicked King Ahab, Elijah decreed a drought upon the land, whereupon no rain fell. G-d instructs Elijah to journey to the desert: "It shall be that you will drink from the brook; and I have commanded the ravens to supply you with food there." Thereafter, ravens brought Elijah nourishment. (I Kings 17:4-6).

This, then, is the meaning of the Torah’s statement that Noah’s raven "kept going and returning until the drying of the waters." The raven’s calling was ultimately fulfilled when the rains "dried up" during Elijah’s era.

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 07:26:30 AM »
Does it only say dove in the Hebrew Torah?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 07:33:10 AM »
Some birds do have very large intelligence, Ravens and Crows have been known to have this for a long time as well as certain types of parrots.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:25:48 AM »
Wow, I have never read Perek Shirah but I just downloaded a copy [link below] and the introduction is awesome. Apparently Rabbi Eliezer approved of this writing, even claiming that those who study it will be granted the world to come, redemption from gehinnom, and other incredible blessings...

Read this:

Rabbi Eliezer said: Anyone who involves himself with Perek Shirah in this world, merits saying it in the World-to-Come,

Yea I have that book. Got a personal copy signed by the author himself (also his writing can be found at rationalistJudaism.com)
 He makes it clear in the book that its whoever involves (him/her)-self in the study of nature and the greatness of G-D through it that earns a share to the eternal world and not just like some who mindlessly read chapters thinking that their Gan Eden is automatically their for them (Not that i'm saying you think that way, just clarifying a common misconception in the world out their).
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »
Quoth the raven, "nevermore."
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 03:19:25 PM »

Read this:

The excepts are nice, but the book is much better. It goes into detail of each of the animals and what man can learn from them. Also have nice pictures as well.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 04:32:06 PM »
The excepts are nice, but the book is much better. It goes into detail of each of the animals and what man can learn from them. Also have nice pictures as well.

Yes indeed... I have seen some very nice illustrated Perek Shirah...

I believe artscroll has a volume:

http://www.artscroll.com/Books/pshh.html
http://www.artscroll.com/Books/ppshh.html

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 05:39:01 PM »
wow great read, proves once again the bible is ALWAYS right.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 06:46:52 AM »
It's also interesting that one of the few animals that can actually talk was chosen for that role in the story.

There are some cool raven talking videos on youtube.