Author Topic: Those of you looking for a new house pet...  (Read 1868 times)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Those of you looking for a new house pet...
« on: December 02, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-12/look-giant-bug

This amazing/disturbing picture is of a giant weta, the world's biggest insect at a whopping 71 grams in weight. Wetas are cricket- or grasshopper-like insects native to the smaller islands of New Zealand, having been eradicated from the larger islands due to recently-introduced rats and other mammals. It's been officially named as the heaviest adult insect in the world (though some insects, like the Goliath beetle, attain higher weights in their larval stages).
The pictured giant weta is more specifically a wetapunga (you are encouraged to pronounce this "wetapunga!"), or a Little Barrier Island weta, named for the small island on which it is found. This particular specimen was found by adventurer Mark Moffett, who was somehow able to overcome the terror of seeing a bunny-sized bug.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Those of you looking for a new house pet...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 01:01:09 PM »
That's really cool looking.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 02:50:06 PM »
That's really cool looking.

Is 'cool' the correct adjective? Maybe it is cool to you, but I would not like to wake up with that bug staring at me...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »
It is actually cute look as it eats
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 02:56:20 PM »
I think this bug would end up squashed if it wound up in my house...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 03:06:13 PM »
I think this bug would end up squashed if it wound up in my house...

when i was younger i used to have a zoo of bugs.I would put them in jars with holes on the tops look at them for a day or few hrs then let them go.
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 03:07:58 PM »
when i was younger i used to have a zoo of bugs.I would put them in jars with holes on the tops look at them for a day or few hrs then let them go.

Interesting... I was never into bugs too much. I remember once keeping a jar of earthworms as a kid.

I was more interested in electronics when I was in my 8-12 years.... I guess that is one of the reasons I ended up being a software engineer.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 03:09:06 PM »
Interesting... I was never into bugs too much. I remember once keeping a jar of earthworms as a kid.

I was more interested in electronics when I was in my 8-12 years.... I guess that is one of the reasons I ended up being a software engineer.

well as long as it worked out for the good

Shot at 2010-01-03

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 03:29:35 PM »
Yum.
Rostead green stuff.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 04:58:22 PM »
aw ain't that a cutey....*gasp* :D
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »

So you now live a life of debugging.   :::D

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 08:14:12 PM »
Is 'cool' the correct adjective? Maybe it is cool to you, but I would not like to wake up with that bug staring at me...

I think it would look awesome in a tank.

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 09:29:38 PM »
Not for me thanks! :o

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 10:23:52 PM »
Not for me thanks! :o

Why not? Roasted over an open fire?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 06:22:42 AM »
Why not? Roasted over an open fire?

I wonder if it's kosher since it looks like it's related to grasshoppers. Or are only certain species of locusts/grasshoppers kosher?

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 08:13:47 AM »
That's one monster bug!  I don't think a whole can of raid would stop this thing.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 09:59:27 AM »
I wonder if it's kosher since it looks like it's related to grasshoppers. Or are only certain species of locusts/grasshoppers kosher?
While technically it may be a type of grasshopper I am sure it cannot be considered kosher, since only certain types of grasshoppers and locusts are kosher and most Jews (all Ashkenazim and some of the Sephardim) don't consider it kosher any longer as eating locust is a lost tradition.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 10:02:55 AM »
While technically it may be a type of grasshopper I am sure it cannot be considered kosher, since only certain types of grasshoppers and locusts are kosher and most Jews (all Ashkenazim and some of the Sephardim) don't consider it kosher any longer as eating locust is a lost tradition.

Wait so even though it's right there in the Bible nobody is able to eat it because it hasn't been done in a long time? There are probably good reasons why it was included as an allowed food (nutritional or symbolic). Is there any teaching that in the future lost traditions like that might come back?

I think Wetas are more like a cricket than a grasshopper anyway though.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 11:10:22 AM »
Wait so even though it's right there in the Bible nobody is able to eat it because it hasn't been done in a long time? There are probably good reasons why it was included as an allowed food (nutritional or symbolic). Is there any teaching that in the future lost traditions like that might come back?

I think Wetas are more like a cricket than a grasshopper anyway though.
One reason locust is kosher is in case they destroy large amounts of crops people must eat them or they starve.

I don't know if there is a teaching that lost traditions would be reinstated.

Yemenite Jews and Some north African Jews still ate these things until the 1950s and few even to this day. But most communities stopped eating grasshoppers hundreds of years ago.

There are other animals that are technically kosher but are not eaten,  like the Giraffe. But it is not kosher because there is no tradition nor knowledge as to how it should be slaughtered. But grass hoppers don't need to be slaughtered so that reason doesn't apply to their case.

Grasshopper is obviously a very abnormal item on the kosher menu and the risk of eating a non kosher insect must have been the reason why eventually most rabbis forbade eating it altogether.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 09:20:52 PM »
One reason locust is kosher is in case they destroy large amounts of crops people must eat them or they starve.

I don't know if there is a teaching that lost traditions would be reinstated.

That makes a lot of sense. 

One of the things I think is interesting is how God blessed the USA by allowing the Rocky Mountain Locust to die off. American farmers still have to deal with grasshopper damage of course, but it's not the same as a locust swarm. I feel like if the USA keeps going down the path of evil it's possible that locusts may return here.

Yemenite Jews and Some north African Jews still ate these things until the 1950s and few even to this day. But most communities stopped eating grasshoppers hundreds of years ago.

If you were among them then could you eat it with them as they do have a tradition for it and are most likely eating the correct species?

There are other animals that are technically kosher but are not eaten,  like the Giraffe. But it is not kosher because there is no tradition nor knowledge as to how it should be slaughtered. But grass hoppers don't need to be slaughtered so that reason doesn't apply to their case.

Grasshopper is obviously a very abnormal item on the kosher menu and the risk of eating a non kosher insect must have been the reason why eventually most rabbis forbade eating it altogether.

I've wondered before about giraffes too. They're related to Okapi and both Okapi and Giraffe are related to antelopes.

Thanks for the information :)

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 05:49:49 AM »
If you were among them then could you eat it with them as they do have a tradition for it and are most likely eating the correct species?
I am pretty sure that an Ashkenazi Jew wouldn't eat it even if he was assured that it was completely kosher. Religious Jews tend to stick to their tradition. For example Ashkenazim don't eat beans on the days of Passover even though it is passover-kosher.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 08:54:21 AM »
I am pretty sure that an Ashkenazi Jew wouldn't eat it even if he was assured that it was completely kosher. Religious Jews tend to stick to their tradition. For example Ashkenazim don't eat beans on the days of Passover even though it is passover-kosher.

That's interesting.