Author Topic: Is being outside with a knife (for self-defense purposes) legal in the U.S?  (Read 1732 times)

Offline IsraeliGovtAreKapos

• Ultimate JTFer

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Yes you can carry a knife i do, but i also carry a Glock or Beretta
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

• Ultimate JTFer
I mean carrying it outside, not merely owning it. And are all types of knives legal to carry (I've heard that the types of Balisong aren't)?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:50:44 AM by Fourth Philosophy »

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
The laws vary from state to state.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation#United_States_of_America

Each American state also has laws that govern the legality of carrying weapons, either concealed or openly, and these laws explicitly or implicitly cover various types of knives. Some states go beyond this, and criminalize mere possession of certain types of knives. Other states prohibit the possession and/or the concealed carrying of knives that feature blade styles or features sufficient to transform them into "dangerous weapons"[71][72] or "deadly weapons", i.e. knives either optimized for lethality against humans or designed for and readily capable of causing death or serious bodily injury.[71][73] These frequently include knives with specific blade styles with a historical connection to violence or assassination, including thrusting knives such as the dirk, poignard, and stiletto, and double-edged knives with crossguards designed for knife fighting such as the dagger.[71][74] Some states make the carrying or possession of any dangerous or deadly weapon with intent to unlawfully harm another a crime.[71]
In states like Alabama,[75] Mississippi,[76] New Mexico,[77][78] Texas,[71] and Virginia,[71] the carrying on one's person of large and lengthy fighting knives capable of causing grievous wounds such as the Bowie Knife[79] is prohibited by statute,[71][80] originally in the interest of controlling or eliminating the then-common practice of "dueling", a term which had degenerated from a rarely-used social custom into a generalized description for any knife or gun fight between two contestants.[74][81] In many jurisdictions a local tradition of using knives to settle differences or for self-defense[74][82] resulted in the enactment of statutes that restricted the size and length of the knife and particularly, the length of its blade.[74]

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
You can have a knife in the US in most states, most of the laws state the blade can't be longer than 3 inches for carry purposes. You can pretty much use any size knife for hunting or fishing from my understanding, I have a 7 inch Kabar.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Depends on the knife.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
You mean you want to walk around swinging a knife all over?
I would give you plenty of space if you walk by.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:39:05 PM by angryChineseKahanist »
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
I thought you said you weren't going to travel outside of Israel

• Ultimate JTFer
I thought you said you weren't going to travel outside of Israel

I wanted to know if carrying knives outside is legal in America since in Israel it's not. Just to show the Jews in what kind of a totalitarian North Korea-style state we live in.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:39:52 PM by Fourth Philosophy »

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
I guarantee you that if you walk around with a knife in America you're going to get stopped and probably arrested.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
I wanted to know if carrying knives outside is legal in America since in Israel it's not. Just to show the Jews in what kind of a totalitarian North Korea-style state we live in.

I don't think anything bad would happen if you had a hidden pocket knife but you can't carry around a big steak knife.

• Ultimate JTFer
You're only saying that because you have never stabbed anyone and never had the police blame you for the fight and say that you planned the attack. Not that I had, of course. Everyone knows I'm law abiding.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
You're only saying that because you have never stabbed anyone and never had the police blame you for the fight and say that you planned the attack. Not that I had, of course. Everyone knows I'm law abiding.

I meant in the USA, but if you actually had to stab someone with it, you might face the same issues here.

• Ultimate JTFer
Even if there were witnesses who said that you did it in self-defense?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
Even if there were witnesses that you did it in self-defense?

That would help a lot. It depends on the details though and where it happened. You might have a harder time in a more liberal area than you would in a more redneck type of area.

• Ultimate JTFer
In Israel you can be jailed for even stabbing someone who shot you in the leg

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
I don't think anything bad would happen if you had a hidden pocket knife but you can't carry around a big steak knife.
Actually once a knife passes as certain size it would be better if it was visible instead of being concealed...Certain type blades such as switch or drop blade knives are problematic... I think here in New York if the knife is hanging from a belt and is visible it might pass muster with the police.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
In Israel you can be jailed for even killing someone who shot you in the leg

Well you probably would be arrested if that happened here but you probably wouldn't go to prison if there were witnesses that could testify you were doing it in self defense. There are a lot of factors though like if your attacker is black (good chance of that) or an illegal immigrant there might be more sympathy for them and they could claim you shouted a racial epithet at them. That can really complicate things. I don't know if you look white or not but if you do then things would be harder on you.

edit: I mean the people who were their friends could claim you shouted an epithet at them, obviously if you killed them they couldn't do it themselves  :laugh:

• Ultimate JTFer
I'm whiter than you are

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
I guarantee you that if you walk around with a knife in America you're going to get stopped and probably arrested.

Absolutely.

Offline heyuguys

• Full JTFer
this might happen:

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
Problem solved ice cream time!  :::D

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Actually once a knife passes as certain size it would be better if it was visible instead of being concealed...Certain type blades such as switch or drop blade knives are problematic... I think here in New York if the knife is hanging from a belt and is visible it might pass muster with the police.

I believe that switch blades are the only knives that are federally regulated.... at least as far as selling them.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
You can always carry a baseball bat either in your hands or in your car (if you have a car). Or get a hold of some sharp objects like screw drivers and no one (copos) can do anything to you.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.