Author Topic: Liberal 'Rabbi' says Tebow will cause attacks on qurananimals  (Read 2165 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Liberal 'Rabbi' says Tebow will cause attacks on qurananimals
« on: December 14, 2011, 05:39:17 PM »
http://doctorbulldog.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/rabbi-joshua-hammerman-predicts-that-if-tebow-wins-the-super-bowl-emboldened-christians-will-be-burning-mosques-bashing-gays-and-indiscriminately-banishing-immigrants/   

Doctor Bulldog & Ronin
Conservative News, Views, & Analysis of Events
« Grenade Attack in Belgium Linked to Sentencing in Honor Killing Case?
U.S. Forces Deployed Along Syrian-Jordanian Border? »
Rabbi Joshua Hammerman Predicts if Tebow Wins the Super Bowl, Emboldened Christians will Burn Mosques, Bash Gays, and Indiscriminately Banish Immigrants

It’s libtarded morons like Rabbi Hammerman that give Jews a bad name:

My Tim Tebow Problem
Rabbi Joshua Hammerman – Jewish Week Online

I’ve got a Tim Tebow problem.

I want to root for the guy, but I’m afraid of what will happen if the hulky Denver Bronco quarterback continues to pull off what is fast becoming the Greatest Gridiron Story Ever Told.  Since taking over as starting quarterback earlier this season, the Heisman winning national champion from the University of Florida has been winning consistently and dramatically, in the final minutes of the game or overtime, relying on powerful legs rather than his infamously erratic arm and confounding skeptical fans along with the Bronco management, who, it is said, were hoping he would fail.

A poster boy of the Christian right, Tebow steadfastly thanks Jesus after every game and, while in college, often inscribed biblical messages on his eye paint. Homeschooled in Florida, this child of missionaries turned down his selection as a Playboy All American because it was, well, Playboy.  His trademark prayerful touchdown celebration (imagine Rodin’s “Thinker” on bended knee, or your grandfather davening Tachanun with a football) has become a verb.  Google “tebowing” and you’ll find 84 million hits, including lots of YouTube parodies. Tebow’s mother, a Baptist missionary, became comatose during her pregnancy and was saved by drugs that nearly killed the fetus.  Doctors anticipated a stillbirth and recommended termination to protect her life, but Tim’s mother refused to abort.  Trumpeting that decision, mother and son appeared in commercials for “Focus on the Family” during this past season’s Super Bowl.

Now tiny Tim has grown and is on track to possibly appear in this season’s Super Bowl – on the field – and that is what scares me.

In this country, nothing, not even God, is more popular than football.   Even in the wake of a summer long labor dispute, 23 of the 25 most watched TV programs this fall have been NFL games.  When you combine the religion that is football with the religion that is religion, the mix can be dangerously flammable.  The NFL ratings rise has been fueled in part by Tebow’s legions of faithful followers, as well as by those simply curious to see how this implausible morality tale plays out.

[...]
Into the middle of it all rides Tebow.  Absolutely confident that God is on his side, he comes across as a humbler version of the biblical Joseph, who, in this week’s Torah portion, audaciously lays claim to being the Chosen One, and then goes out and proves it.  Tebow’s sanctimonious God-talk has led even pious peers like Kurt Warner to suggest that he cool it. Joseph could have used the same coaching.

If Tebow wins the Super Bowl, against all odds, it will buoy his faithful, and emboldened faithful can do insane things, like burning mosques, bashing gays and indiscriminately banishing immigrants.  While America has become more inclusive since Jerry Falwell’s first political forays, a Tebow triumph could set those efforts back considerably.

[...]

What?  Not worried about Christians burning Synagogues and rounding up American Jews, Rabbi Hammerman?  Yeah, I thought not.  Take your meds and stop watching so much MSNBC.  Sheesh!
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
Re: Liberal 'Rabbi' says Tebow will cause attacks on qurananimals
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 05:59:09 PM »
What a moron.  I cannot respond to something like that, it is too irrational.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
What a moron.  I cannot respond to something like that, it is too irrational.
I hate to say it but the Rabbi sounds irrational -- yes -- but with a touch of stupidity thrown in.  My hope is that very few people will read this nonsense.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 07:33:22 PM »
Let me guess, he's a "Reformed Rabbi?"

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 07:59:56 PM »
The entire premise is stupid... Some 'Rabbi' makes irrational comments and gets attention..
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »
This is an embarrassment and it should never have been printed. It will only cause hate toward Jews.

PS- No way Tebow makes the Super Bowl.
PSS- Go Ravens!

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 08:14:07 PM »
He's a real moron if he thinks gays, illegal immigrants, and Muslims are all something to celebrate.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 10:31:05 PM »
This is an embarrassment and it should never have been printed. It will only cause hate toward Jews.

PS- No way Tebow makes the Super Bowl.
PSS- Go Ravens!

Tebow and his nonsensical winnings have taken my beloved Raiders out of the playoff picture :(

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 12:20:25 AM »
Tebow and his nonsensical winnings have taken my beloved Raiders out of the playoff picture :(

I love Tebow! Go Giants, but I don't mind the Broncos winning it all! He's soooooooooooo fun to watch! One of the reasons I love Tebow is because he is a frum Christian. I admire religious Christians who incorporate G-d into their speeches. Mariano Rivera, for example, is very righteous and always thanks G-d.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 02:19:41 AM »
Truly a sick and deranged individual.    Just when you think you cannot be surprised anymore, this "rabbi" goes and writes something like this.   A shocking display of mental disorder.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 02:39:12 AM »
The part that is very disturbing from a Jewish perspective is this part...

[...]
Into the middle of it all rides Tebow.  Absolutely confident that G-d is on his side, he comes across as a humbler version of the biblical Joseph, who, in this week’s Torah portion, audaciously lays claim to being the Chosen One, and then goes out and proves it.  Tebow’s sanctimonious G-d-talk has led even pious peers like Kurt Warner to suggest that he cool it. Joseph could have used the same coaching.

If this man is indeed a 'Rabbi' I suggest he look into the story of Jacob. Does he understand that it was necessary for Joseph to be the 'favored son' and necessary for his brothers to grow jealous of him, and ultimately necessary for them to sell him into slavery? Do you know why this was necessary? Because it was necessary for Joseph to be in Egypt to that he could be sent to prison to meet the Butler and the Wine Stewart of Pharoah so that he could interpret Pharoahs dream, propelling his family into the powerful elite of Egypt. It is because of this chain of events that the entire family was saved from the famine when they eventually came down to Egypt.

So I fail to understand what any 'Coaching by Kurt Warner' to 'cool it' would have achieved in the case of Yosef HaTzadik.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 04:45:18 AM »
I love Tebow! Go Giants, but I don't mind the Broncos winning it all! He's soooooooooooo fun to watch! One of the reasons I love Tebow is because he is a frum Christian. I admire religious Christians who incorporate G-d into their speeches. Mariano Rivera, for example, is very righteous and always thanks G-d.
I've never heard the term "frum" applied to Christians before but I suppose that it makes a lot of sense in distinguishing real ones from leftist frauds and apostates. Is it common for Jews to refer to devout Christians as "frum"?

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 05:12:02 AM »
Personally I think athletes who pray to god for a touch down or a win are carrying god's name in vain. One should only ask God for help in serious matters, life and death matters. So I think Tebow is ridiculous. Since we are talking football, I suppose an athlete can pray to god not to have a serious injury, but that's about it.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 05:56:09 AM »
Personally I think athletes who pray to G-d for a touch down or a win are carrying G-d's name in vain. One should only ask G-d for help in serious matters, life and death matters. So I think Tebow is ridiculous. Since we are talking football, I suppose an athlete can pray to G-d not to have a serious injury, but that's about it.
That's your opinion. Do you think that he deserves to be attacked in the name of Islam though?

As far as I am concerned Imam Hammerman needs to go make aliyah to the U.A.E.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 06:19:51 AM »
That's your opinion. Do you think that he deserves to be attacked in the name of Islam though?

As far as I am concerned Imam Hammerman needs to go make aliyah to the U.A.E.
I think the people who attack and mock Tebow are hypocritical dush bags. There are lots of muslim athletes, albeit in other sports who make theatrical muslim prayer gestures and even shout allah akbar and I have never heard anyone criticizing them. Nor did anyone criticize Serena Williams (apparently a Jehova witness nutjob) when she said: "I want to thank MY god Jehova" after she won the American Open. 

But nevertheless, I think Tebow, if he asks god to help him win football games, then he represents a superficial, selfish, materialistic and primitive type of "religious".

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 07:09:10 AM »
How do you know he's praying to win maybe he's thanking G-D that nobody gets hurt. Other Rabbis like him. 

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203501304577088210195890268.html   

im Tebow: Denver's New Favorite Mensch
How Denver's Religious Communities Have Rallied Around the Broncos Quarterback

Article
    Video
    Comments (18)

more in NFL »

Email
    Print

Save ↓ More

smaller
    Larger

By BEN COHEN

In Denver, where the Broncos are the closest thing to a universal religion, the faith for football is so fervent that it sometimes supersedes other beliefs-especially since the arrival of Tim Tebow. Ben Cohen has details on Lunch Break.

In Denver, where the Broncos are the closest thing to a universal religion, the faith for football is so fervent that it sometimes supersedes other beliefs—especially since the arrival of Tim Tebow. In catapulting Denver to first place in the AFC West, Tebow has defied his skeptics in ways that might make even the most secular of pigskin purists consider the possibility of divine intervention.

And with the Broncos prospering under Tebow, different religious communities in Denver's metropolitan area have embraced the starting quarterback, even if their beliefs don't line up with his. The devout evangelical Christian, who isn't shy about praying on the football field, has catalyzed such a pervasive conversation about the role of faith in public that some religious figures in Colorado's Front Range even consider Tebow fodder for the pulpit.

Around 10 p.m. on a recent evening, the rabbi at Denver's Temple Emanuel was asked if he would ever sermonize about Tebow. Joe Black responded as if he had just chugged an espresso.

"Oh, absolutely!" he said. "Here's the sermon I would deliver and probably will deliver: Tim Tebow is broadcasting the fact that he believes in God. God is actively involved in his life. We call ourselves people of faith. Is that how we perceive God? And if not, how do we perceive God?"
More Tim Tebow

Another Denver rabbi, Temple Sinai's Rick Rheins, said he might feel "compelled" to preach about Tebow if the Broncos sneak into the playoffs. Then he reminded himself of this week's Torah portion. It's about Jacob wrestling with uncertainties of his own. "He's not the most accurate thrower in the world, and he obviously has questionable NFL quarterback skills, and yet he doesn't doubt himself," said Rheins, who roots for the Bengals, Colts and of course the Broncos.

Tebow's appeal stretches beyond Denver's Jewish population. Khaled Hamideh visited the United States from Jordan in 1977 and fell for America's Team: the Cowboys. He moved permanently in 1985 and still pulls for Dallas and, now, the Broncos. At the Colorado Muslim Society, the mosque where Hamideh is the board's chairman, the Broncos don't come up usually in conversation. But Tebow is often a topic for discussion when Hamideh and his friends gather for weekly barbecues and potluck dinners. He counts himself as a Tebow fan mostly because of the quarterback's winning pedigree.

"I know I'm a Muslim and he's a Christian, but I admire somebody who thanks God for everything that he gave him," Hamideh said. "The team has rallied around him not because of his religious beliefs but because they believe this guy has something in him that pushes him the right way."

Even in the supermarket, Ruth Borri, a teacher at the Avalokiteshvara Buddhist Center in Denver, overhears aisle talk about Tebow. She finds his steadfast devotion refreshing. "There's a great deal of spirituality missing in our whole culture in general," she said. "His willingness to be what he is and not be ashamed of it is something that I think is an admirable quality."

Enlarge Image
1109tebow2
1109tebow2
Associated Press

Tim Tebow prays after Denver's win over Minnesota on Sunday.

A prominent area atheist also declared Tebow's displays fine by him. Boulder Atheists co-founder Marvin Straus doesn't follow sports closely. Still, he estimated that he has seen Tebow kneel "4,823 times" without objecting.

"From my perspective, it's about as useful as an amulet during the Black Plague. But if I have the right to stand up in public and say there's no gods or devils or heaven or hell, he has the right to kneel in public, as long as he doesn't insist that other people join him," Straus said. "Somebody that's on a private team wants to express his religious belief? To me, that's called freedom of religion."

The discussion of Tebow is not limited to people of a calling. While watching a Broncos game at a Manhattan bar, Jared Kleinstein coined Tebowing, which he defined as praying "even if everyone else around you is doing something completely different." In October, he founded Tebowing.com, a blog of Tebowing photos, which features toddlers, canines and ostensible grown-ups Tebowing everywhere from the Eiffel Tower to Machu Picchu.

Kleinstein recently sold Tebowing T-shirts for charity with his alma mater: Denver Jewish Day School. "Tebowing and the Tebow phenomenon has sort of transcended religion," Kleinstein said.

In college at Florida, Tebow wrote Bible verses on his strips of eye black. NFL rules prohibit eye-black messages, so Tebow now cites the Bible on Twitter to almost 600,000 followers on the mornings of Broncos games. He adds "GB2"—an abbreviation for "God Bless and Go Broncos"—at the end of the tweets. But this digital shift doesn't mean Denver isn't any less fanatic about football.

Enlarge Image
1109tebow3
1109tebow3
Getty Images

Tim Tebow prays with the Broncos and Chargers after Denver's overtime win in San Diego on Nov. 27.

One Monday evening in September, Asher Klein scheduled a class for his congregation at the orthodox synagogue DAT Minyan. The rabbi had moved from West Orange, N.J. to Colorado only two months earlier. What he didn't realize was that this Monday evening in September happened to be the night of the Broncos' season opener.

"I had very stellar turnouts up until that point. That night, it was empty," Klein said. "That's when I realized I'm not in New York anymore."

Tebow wasn't the starting quarterback then. He took over those duties for good Oct. 23, when the Broncos were languishing at 1-4, desperate for a jolt of life. Enter Tebow. The Broncos are 6-1 with him as the starter, and their season might come down to a Week 16 matchup with Buffalo on Dec. 24.

The problem for Colorado's rabbis? The game falls on a Saturday morning. Black tries to avoid scheduling programs on Sundays during the NFL season, he said, but this game coincides with Shabbat, the day of rest in Judaism. He usually wraps up services around 12:15 p.m. MT—an hour after kickoff in Buffalo. "I think there will be a lot of people praying from home," he said.

Even though that Week 16 Saturday is the rare one without a bar mitzvah at Temple Sinai, Rheins doesn't plan to speed through services for the sake of his congregation's Broncos faithful.

He said: "Didn't God invent the TiVo?"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:17:26 AM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 07:40:10 AM »
I only wonder if Tim tebow thanks Gd after losing a game or if prays for a td but doesn't get.

The important thing to remember is that even if pray for something and work hard at getting but dont get it doesn't mean that Gd isn't listening. He always listens.

If Tim tebow shares this wisdom then instead of having 75% of my support he would have 95%.

Go giants
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 04:15:58 PM »
Is it wrong to pray and ask G-d for success in your business or professional life.   Remember, football is much more than a game to him, it is how he earns his livelihood, and he puts much more into football than most of us put into our professions.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 05:00:28 PM »
Is it wrong to pray and ask G-d for success in your business or professional life.   Remember, football is much more than a game to him, it is how he earns his livelihood, and he puts much more into football than most of us put into our professions.
I think it's not wrong to thank God for the talent and career he's got. Moreover, if you already have quite allot going for you, materialistically, is it really necessary to ask god to give you even more stuff ? People should be content with what they have and if they get more be even more thankful to god.

But that's not really the issue here. It is about thinking that God intervenes in meaningless things such as a touch down, as if there is no free choice, no physics, and you just have to pray for god to get for you every little craving you've got. Tebow basically thinks that Jesus loves hims so he gives him touchdowns and "miracles" on the field. And BTW, it also means he is not a good sports, cause he cheats, he asks Jesus to save him. It's not fair that Jesus plays for his team.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 05:07:28 PM »
Why does it bother you if TT asks G-d for a touchdown? G-d has the right to say no. Tebow is a real Christian--he is a perfect gentleman on the field and off. He is never mocking, gloating, or abusive in any way to the rival team. If G-d chooses to show his glory through TT, that is his right. If not, TT will continue to be a class act and a genuine believer.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 05:16:09 PM »
I think we should rely on our god given abilities to achieve most things.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 05:16:57 PM »
I've never heard the term "frum" applied to Christians before but I suppose that it makes a lot of sense in distinguishing real ones from leftist frauds and apostates. Is it common for Jews to refer to devout Christians as "frum"?

Nah, I was just being cute ;D

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
Personally I think athletes who pray to G-d for a touch down or a win are carrying G-d's name in vain. One should only ask G-d for help in serious matters, life and death matters. So I think Tebow is ridiculous. Since we are talking football, I suppose an athlete can pray to G-d not to have a serious injury, but that's about it.

Sorry Zelhar, but I respectfully disagree. One MUST thank Hashem and pray for EVERYTHING. From huge things such as Israel to tiny things such an ant in Cambodia, one must ALWAYS pray and thank G-d.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 06:31:46 PM »

Sorry Zelhar, but I respectfully disagree. One MUST thank Hashem and pray for EVERYTHING. From huge things such as Israel to tiny things such an ant in Cambodia, one must ALWAYS pray and thank G-d.
I agree with you. The problem is that most of us lack the dedication and reverence to do this consistently.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 07:14:42 PM »
I agree with you. The problem is that most of us lack the dedication and reverence to do this consistently.

A Jew must work on his Emmunah and Bitachon. I have found Rabbi Shafiers talks on these topics helpful to strengthen my faith &  trust in Hashem...

http://theshmuz.com/blog/bitachon-emunah-has-nothing-to-do-with-faith/

http://theshmuz.com/blog/the-shmuz-on-emunah-stop-playing-g-d/

http://www.theshmuz.com/Bitachon_workshop.html