Author Topic: Anyone here have experience with Prednisone?  (Read 716 times)

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Anyone here have experience with Prednisone?
« on: December 17, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »
I'm tapering off it now, and truly hate the withdrawal :'(.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Anyone here have experience with Prednisone?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 01:43:41 PM »
I was given a low dose for a few days last time I got sick but I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 02:33:30 PM »
It's a steroid... typically used as an antiinflammatory or at times as an immunosuppressant. Not something anyone is supposed to be on longterm if they can help it.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 03:30:12 PM »
It's a steroid... typically used as an antiinflammatory or at times as an immunosuppressant. Not something anyone is supposed to be on longterm if they can help it.

I was on it for 2 months.... others who have my autoimmune issues are on it for much longer.... which I agree, is very dangerous and has horrible long term consequences. 

But while I was on it, everything was ok, a few minor side effects... but now Im tapering... and I am feeling the wrath.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 09:56:55 PM »
I took prednisone for a long time. I had no problem getting off it... I am glad I don't take it anymore...

My doctor diagnosed me with Vasculitis, and prednisone is an anti-inflamatory drug.... But in the end, after another doctor diagnosed it as venus insufficiency, the prescription for prednisone was discontinued.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline maelgwyn

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 11:44:53 PM »
I was on it for sometime in the 1970s . But i managed to lower myself off it !   A friend didnt and he now has bone trouble !  :o

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 06:36:16 PM »
I took prednisone for a long time. I had no problem getting off it... I am glad I don't take it anymore...

My doctor diagnosed me with Vasculitis, and prednisone is an anti-inflamatory drug.... But in the end, after another doctor diagnosed it as venus insufficiency, the prescription for prednisone was discontinued.

What are the symtoms of vasculitis?

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 07:10:37 PM »
Briann, may I ask what condition you need Prednisone for?

Offline Yirmayahu

• Full JTFer
  • Choose you this day whom you will serve!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 07:23:52 PM »
Well, I can warn everyone here not to take floxacin antibiotics with any steroid. A good friend took Levaquin with prednisone and she popped tendons in several areas of her body. They're in a lawsuit now over it, a class action law suit that is.
Shalom Y'all....Yirmayahu

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 07:28:46 PM »
What are the symtoms of vasculitis?

That is what my condition was 'misdiagnosed' as... I am glad I don't have vasculitis... Rather I currently am dealing with a condition known as Venus Insufficiency...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasculitis
Vasculitis (plural: vasculitides)[1] refers to a heterogeneous group of disorders that are characterized by inflammatory destruction of blood vessels.[2] Both arteries and veins are affected. Lymphangitis is sometimes considered a type of vasculitis.[3] Vasculitis is primarily due to leukocyte migration and resultant damage.

Although both occur in vasculitis, inflammation of veins (phlebitis) or arteries (arteritis) on their own are separate entities.
Treatment

Treatments are generally directed toward stopping the inflammation and suppressing the immune system. Typically, cortisone-related medications, such as prednisone, are used. Additionally, other immune suppression drugs, such as cyclophosphamide and others, are considered. In case of an infection, antimicrobial agents including cephalexin may be prescribed. Affected organs (such as the heart or lungs) may require specific medical treatment intended to improve their function during the active phase of the disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_venous_insufficiency

Venous insufficiency in the legs

As functional venous valves are required to provide for efficient blood return from the lower extremities, CVI often occurs in the veins of the legs. Itching (pruritis) is sometimes a symptom, along with hyperpigmentation of the legs. Symptoms of CVI include phlebetic lymphedema and chronic swelling of the legs and ankles. The skin may react with varicose eczema, local inflammation, discoloration, thickening, and an increased risk of ulcers and cellulitis. The condition has been known since ancient times and Hippocrates used bandaging to treat it. It is better described as chronic peripheral venous insufficiency.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14