Author Topic: Time for the 99% to Be Heard  (Read 709 times)

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Time for the 99% to Be Heard
« on: December 28, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »

We here at the Beams and at Emuna Outreach disdain hatred, especially the type of hatred that waves the flag of zealotry and religious fanaticism. We condemn any acts of harassing another human - physically or emotionally - especially in the name of Torah. True Torah is a tree of life, and all its paths are peace. We therefore endorse the following article by Rabbi Yakov Horowitz:

By Rabbi Yakov Horowitz

The ongoing violence in Beit Shemesh by hooligans has taken an even uglier turn recently as it is being directed against school-age children and their parents. It is now receiving front-page international coverage due to the involvement of Israeli elected officials at the highest levels.

As the colossal Chilul Hashem and distortion of genuine Torah values is escalating, it is incumbent on decent Jews worldwide to do our part to distance ourselves from this behavior and loudly proclaim that this is not the way of our Torah. It is of paramount importance that we do so not only before the media and the world at large, but also that we explain this to our impressionable children in the starkest of terms. Our work with children and teens over the years has clearly indicated that "Hate Does not Have an Off Button" – meaning that the toxic message of intolerance is one that has long-term harmful effects.

Many people in our community insist, “Everyone understands that these are a small bunch of radicals who do not have the support of any rabbinic leaders.” But that is simply not the message resonating around the world nowadays.

The 1% is getting all the media attention due to the passiveness of the 99%.

Several years ago, readers of this website conducted our own peaceful “hafgana” (protest) when the demonstrations in Eretz Yisroel were spinning out of control, by writing respectful emails to the editors of The Jerusalem Post and Ha’aretz condemning the violence in the clearest terms.

By all accounts, it was very successful as each of the papers received more than 100 emails from Jews worldwide. The Jerusalem Post designated a letters-to-the-editor section, where they printed many of the responses and actually wrote a column noting that there was a grass-roots movement by charedi Jews worldwide condemning the violent behavior.

We respectfully ask that you do the same at this critical time – with the eyes of the world focused on Beit Shemesh. Kindly take a few moments to cut and paste this message or write something along these lines and email them to

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

“As a Torah Jew, I am deeply distressed by the harassment and violence in Beit Shemesh – all of which is diametrically opposed to the teachings of our Holy Torah. Lest our silence be misconstrued as passive acceptance of this behavior, we condemn it in the strongest terms, as do the vast, overwhelming, majority of Torah Jews worldwide.”

We ask that you show public support for this effort by posting your name and the city where you live as a comment on the bottom of this thread so that members of our community and the media at large can see that this is a broad-based effort.

Thank you very much for your time and may this effort be helpful in restoring k’vod shamayim.

Rabbi Yakov Horowitz

http://lazerbrody.typepad.com/
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Time for the 99% to Be Heard
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 08:52:16 PM »
This has already been done... Have you heard a single Jew claim that what these extremists did is according to Halacha? I haven't heard it... I HAVE HEARD Rabbi after Rabbi condemning the act and yet the media is still gobbling this story up because they know it has the potential to turn a lot of people away from Judaism...

It is nice that the Rabbi wrote this... But it will not do anything even when we condemn the act which was alleged...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:56:58 PM »
This has already been done... Have you heard a single Jew claim that what these extremists did is according to Halacha? I haven't heard it... I HAVE HEARD Rabbi after Rabbi condemning the act and yet the media is still gobbling this story up because they know it has the potential to turn a lot of people away from Judaism...

It is nice that the Rabbi wrote this... But it will not do anything even when we condemn the act which was alleged...

It will. Even if a little, and even if these words change some people's opinions it is still worth it as opposed to remaining silent.
 By the way this rabbi is himself Askenasi "Haredi"  (I believe you would know him well)- meaning the site.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »
It will. Even if a little, and even if these words change some people's opinions it is still worth it as opposed to remaining silent.
 By the way this rabbi is himself Askenasi "Haredi"  (I believe you would know him well)- meaning the site.

Looking at the link you posted it appears Rabbi Lazer Brody has posted this on his blog lazerbeams.... I respect Rabbi Brody and believe he does a great job spreading emunah and bitachon to Jews around the world..
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »
I have changed my opinion.... I think it may be worthwhile to do as the Rabbi suggested and send Emails to these publications. It just may tip the balance of the scale towards Torah Judaism...