Author Topic: Do any of you guys know anything about back problems?  (Read 1307 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Do any of you guys know anything about back problems?
« on: January 17, 2012, 05:34:27 PM »
My mom was diagnosed with L5/S1 anterolisthesis. She will require physio and massage therapy and is in tons of pain. She's not on a pain killer as of yet, but we are going back to the Dr. tomorrow. Does anybody know anything about this kind of stuff? The Dr. put her on an anti-inflammatory, but it's pretty weak stuff. Hopefully by next week she'll be starting physio.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: Do any of you guys know anything about back problems?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:57:45 PM »
Was she injured or did this spontaneously happen?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »
Was she injured or did this spontaneously happen?

No injury. But she sits like 99 percent of the day.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:37:33 PM »
I've had back pain problems since I was 24.
Lower back mostly. Now its upper back.
But not what your mum is going through.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 11:39:54 AM »
My mom was diagnosed with L5/S1 anterolisthesis. She will require physio and massage therapy and is in tons of pain. She's not on a pain killer as of yet, but we are going back to the Dr. tomorrow. Does anybody know anything about this kind of stuff? The Dr. put her on an anti-inflammatory, but it's pretty weak stuff. Hopefully by next week she'll be starting physio.

Physical therapy can sometimes have extraordinary results.   My father also has back issues, and now he swears by his therapists... and no longer takes pain medication... at least for the back.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 07:09:30 PM »
Physical therapy can sometimes have extraordinary results.   My father also has back issues, and now he swears by his therapists... and no longer takes pain medication... at least for the back.

She's going to a physiatrist on Monday IY'H.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 02:07:13 AM »
Actually my Israeli co-worker recently had a problem with his back. I believe it was a 'pinched nerve' in his spinal disc. He saw a surgeon who wanted to do surgery but got a second opinion to see a chiropractor. He tells me that the Chiropractor worked for him. I don't know if it is an option in your mothers case.

My local minyan is held at a local Osteopathic surgeon college. Osteopathy is similar to 'Chiropractic' in that both involve manipulation of the tissue and muscles. My friend, who is also the Shliach Tzibbur (Communal Prayer leader), happens to teach the Anatomy class at that college. He thinks highly of Ostheopathy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathic_medicine_in_the_United_States

Frontier physician Andrew Taylor Still founded the profession as a radical rejection of the prevailing system of medical thought of the 19th century. Still's techniques relied heavily on the manipulation of joints and bones to diagnose and treat illness, and he called his practices "osteopathy". By the middle of the 20th century, the profession had moved closer to mainstream medicine, adopting modern public health and biomedical principles. American "osteopaths" became "osteopathic physicians", gradually achieving full practice rights as medical doctors in all 50 states, including serving in the US armed forces as physicians.[1]

In the 21st century, the training of osteopathic physicians in the United States is very similar to that of their MD counterparts.[2] Osteopathic physicians attend 4 years of medical school followed by at least 3 years of residency. They use all conventional methods of diagnosis and treatment. Though still trained in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM),[3] the modern derivative of Still's techniques,[4][5] a minority of osteopathic physicians use it in actual practice.[6]
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 07:50:41 AM »
I've heard chiropractors are scam artists and can't do anything that rest and/or muscle relaxers won't accomplish so I would suggest sticking with mainstream medicine and avoid chiropractors.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »
I've heard chiropractors are scam artists and can't do anything that rest and/or muscle relaxers won't accomplish so I would suggest sticking with mainstream medicine and avoid chiropractors.
Well, i heard the opposite. Its been two months and my friend has been free of pain. This one case is all I know.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 10:54:13 AM »
Well, i heard the opposite. Its been two months and my friend has been free of pain. This one case is all I know.

It's possible he would have improved on his own but I'm glad he's feeling better.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/curious/200909/when-is-chiropractic-care-scam-what-about-reflexology-magnetic-therapy

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »

Actually chiropractors dont make any money.
my chiro complains everytime i go there.
when i look at my blue cross statements, he only gets a total of $45 per visit. I pay $20 the the insurance pays $25.
they're not magicians. the only thing they do is spine work.
thats it. if they claim anything else, then you are right, s/hes a crook.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »

That's a real problem, Mo.  I had back surgery as a result of an auto-accident.  If your mom needs the name of a good neurosurgeon, pm me and I will give you the man who operated on me. 

"Anterolisthesis of L4 (the fourth lumbar vertebrae) is a mechanical injury where the L4 segment "slips" forward over the L5 segment below. Sometimes this happens as a result of a fracture of L4 at the pars interarticularis, which connects it to the rest of the vertebral column and stabilizes it against abnormal motion. Sometimes it happens without evidence of fracture on the Xray, and this type is due to instability, core weakness, and poor postural habits that eventually lead to mechanical breakdown or "degenerative changes" in the segment. This can occur with or without disc bulge, or herniation.

Ultimately, the pain cycle worsens due to muscular guarding or spasms, in which the body tries to protect itself. As muscles tighten and inflammation increases around the tissues in the spine, disc, nerve roots, and pain receptors generate even more pain, creating a vicious cycle. Pain may be felt down one or both legs, and weakness of the legs may sometimes be noted (leg muscle weakness is a serious warning sign and should be dealt with immediately!). Diagnosis is usually made by doctors putting together clinical signs and symptoms and an Xray (picture of bony tissue), but sometimes an MRI is needed to rule out more involved disc or soft tissue problems. Anti-inflammatories may be given by injection or by mouth to calm the body's pain response and decrease pressure on nerve roots or disc tissue.

If you think you have a possibility of anterolisthesis or instability in the lumbar spine and severe pain has not eased after 3 days, you MUST go to an MD (orthopedic or neurologist preferred) and he/she will most likely order a spine Xray to diagnose the problem (request one if they do not order it!). Most MD's will want to try a conservative approach first; do not let a doctor talk you into surgery without a second opinion and at least one trial of conservative therapy!!! Research shows that surgical interventions will fail more than 50% of the time, whereas conservative management costs less and is more effective in long-term healing and functional recovery!!

With a doctor's order (depending on state laws, you may be able to see a PT without MD order), a licensed physical therapist can evaluate the musculoskeletal dysfunctions and create a customized exercise and pain management program to help the patient get back to normal, pain-free function. The treatment (2-3 times/week for approximately 1-2 months--depending on the individual's response) may include ultrasound, electrical stimulation (to ease pain and improve circulation), heat, massage, manual therapy, ice, and gradual core stabilization and strengthening exercises to recondition the abdominal and back muscles. Other interventions might include postural training to align the spine, ergonomic changes at your desk to decrease work strain, functional training and injury prevention, back safety education on proper lifting and repetitive motion, support braces as needed, breathing/relaxation techniques to reduce muscle tension and decrease pain, and lifestyle modifications such as diet and exercise routine. The P.T. will reassess the patient intermittently to determine if the right amount of progress is being made, and will report this back to the doctor who ordered the therapy.

Do not allow the pain to go on for too long without addressing it!! It will only get worse and harder to heal. Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong--Don't ignore it!! It can get better with the right approach!

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_anterolisthesis_of_L4#ixzz1jxTi6INv "

One thing I would add is that proper diagnosis and having a good physician is just about the most essential thing in terms of successful treatment.  Do not go to just any physical therapist!!!!!!!

Also pain pills have often been shown to work NO BETTER than 1 gram of Tylenol!!  They make you loopy, can be habit forming and dull your cognitive abilities.  They are no answer to almost any medical dilemma.   I have hope for your mom, but make sure she is getting the right treatment and that you trust and feel comfortable with your doctor.   Trust your senses.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 12:56:51 PM »
We're seeing a physiatrist IYH on Monday.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 01:06:33 PM »
Actually chiropractors dont make any money.
my chiro complains everytime i go there.
when i look at my blue cross statements, he only gets a total of $45 per visit. I pay $20 the the insurance pays $25.
they're not magicians. the only thing they do is spine work.
thats it. if they claim anything else, then you are right, s/hes a crook.

If they adjust your neck wrong they can kill you. Be careful.