Author Topic: Shmuley Boteach's book "Kosher Jesus" is not Kosher  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
Shmuley Boteach's book "Kosher Jesus" is not Kosher
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:23:11 PM »
I received the following awesome email today:

"Reprinted with permission by Rabbi Michael Skobac, 

Jews For Judaism Toronto Canada

IT'S YOUR OWN MESS SHMULEY - DON'T USE ME TO CLEAN IT UP

By Rabbi Michael Skobac

While no doubt reveling in all the attention his recent book is receiving, Shmuley Boteach has begun feeling the heat of scrutiny that it and he are attracting. His recent attempt to invoke a booklet I wrote as support for his "Kosher Jesus" is a desperate tactic. While there may be some similarity between my "The DaVinci Code: A Jewish Perspective" and his work, Boteach surely knows that it's a far stretch from similar to congruent.

Many students of Christian origins have entertained the possibility that Jesus and his early followers were Torah observant Jews who
did not seek to establish a new religion. While I am not married to this idea, I do find it plausible and explore it in my booklet. If Shmuley had stopped there, I would not be writing this response.
Because of the ambiguity and unreliability of so much of the primary source material, I inform my readers that the ideas I will be sharing are not conclusive and are controversial. Boteach, on the other hand, doesn't introduce his work as speculative - it is presented as the truth.

My booklet was written with a counter-missionary agenda, directed primarily to Jews who have embraced Christianity. The goal was to provoke them to consider the possibility that Jesus did not deny the binding nature of the Torah and did not claim to be divine. Boteach goes beyond asking followers of Jesus to rethink who he was and seeks to encourage the Jewish community to re-examine Jesus. This ignores age-old rabbinic policies enacted to distance Jews from non-Jewish religions and inevitably encourages the exploration of the New Testament, a book that certainly cannot be deemed "kosher".

In my publication, I never refer to Jesus as a devout rabbi, impressive scholar or holy man.  There is absolutely no evidence that he was any of these. Merely being someone who advocated observance of the Torah would not warrant these honorifics bestowed in "Kosher Jesus".

Boteach argues that Jews need to learn from Jesus. I don't believe this and did not assert in my booklet that Judaism can gain by his teachings. The ideas attributed to Jesus in the Christian scriptures that are consistent with Judaism don't need his validation. Any teachings of his that are not consistent with those of Judaism have no validity for Jews.

More troubling is Boteach's implication that Jesus was a prophet and that the Christian scriptures were divinely inspired. These are specious and dangerous ideas that run contrary to traditional Jewish belief and are nowhere to be found in my work.

Finally, I never wrote or implied that Jews should reclaim Jesus or embrace him. These are meta themes of Boteach's book and a tremendous cause for concern. Rightly or wrongly, and irrespective of the possibility that traditional Christianity has distorted who Jesus may have been - he is strongly associated with that religion. The vast majority of Jews will never read "Kosher Jesus" and understand that Boteach is really referring to a Jesus who's had a million dollar makeover. They will think of the Jesus praised by Tim Tebow! For an orthodox rabbi to urge Jews to embrace Jesus is incredibly irresponsible, as it will inevitably facilitate the slide by some down the slippery slope toward Christianity.

We live in an age where communication is ruled by sound bites and headlines. The greatest illustration of where Boteach went wrong is in the title of his book. "Kosher Jesus" will not be associated with the recondite and reconstructed Jesus of Shmuley's imagination. The headline and take home message of  "Kosher Jesus" will be that Jesus is perfectly acceptable for Jews - and that an orthodox rabbi said so. There are already tremendous forces of assimilation and conversion bearing down on the Jewish people. Placing a stumbling block of potential spiritual danger in front of any of them is inexcusable.

Rabbi Michael Skobac

Director of Education and Counselling

JEWS FOR JUDAISM (Canada)

(416) 789-0020 * Fax (416) 789-0030

[email protected]

www.jewsforjudaism.ca

JEWS FOR JUDAISM (Canada) is an affiliate of JEWS FOR JUDAISM (International) www.jewsforjudaism.org "

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Shmuley Boteach's book "Kosher Jesus" is not Kosher
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 01:56:05 PM »
Sequel:  kosher Mohammed and kosher Islam
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:33:53 PM »
What in Gehinnom was Boteach smoking when he wrote that book? I wrote to A7 complaining that they were doing PR for this piece of shmutz written by Michael Jacksons 'rabbi'...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:16:52 PM »
He always makes these ridiculous books/speeches/writings etc. All the bad things he justifies and against the good people (like Dr. Goldstein ZTL HYD) he speaks harshly against. He justifies the homosexuals as well (just because his brother is one), now he is justifying and supporting jesus?
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 08:00:44 PM »
Remember, he also wrote a book called "Kosher Adultery." 

Boteach is a publicity whore.  I know because I once heard him speak at Makor (part of the 92nd Street Y) in Manhattan.  He had as his guest Roseanne Arnold.  And he was literally fawning over her.  So naturally I heckled her. 

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »

More troubling is Boteach's implication that Jesus was a prophet and that the Christian scriptures were divinely inspired.

Lol wut?

Boteach became a christian?  That is seriously messed up.  Even more messed up than being "michael jackson's rabbi" lol.  This guy is a traitor.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »
The next thing he's probably going to do is write a book justifying Michael Jackson's pedophilia called "Kosher Jesus Juice".
:::D :::D :::D

Lol

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 03:32:54 PM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 06:31:03 PM »
Ok debate me on these please, because I still think this is right rather than the perspective I took from the rabbinical ruling on the subject (which may be wrong) which is we changed that:

Stoning is a perfectly acceptable punishment for adultery. However, the reason we don't do that I think stems from Jesus when he said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". It's right to stone, however, since as King David said in Psalms: "I have seen the end of all perfection", in essence we are just as guilty by not being holy and righteous, and created conditions where her sin was greatly influenced by our own, so we can't kill her for sin we very well may have helped create.

I know there's a thing here about not arguing religion, but since I was born into both of them, you really can't offend me. Actually either way. So now, if not Jesus, what made stoning an unacceptable punishment, along with other moral crimes invalidated for punishment?

Stoning is an appropriate punishment. The only reason we don't execute criminals today is because we don't have a Sanhedrin (A Jewish court) to hand down the convictions. We believe that when the Messianic age is reached that the Sanhedrin will be re-convened and the judgments will be made. Obviously it has nothing to do with the so-called messiah of Christianity.

http://meaningfullife.com/torah/parsha/devarim/shoftim/Unanimous_Verdict.php

http://www.torah.org/learning/halacha-overview/chapter79.html

The courts administer four death penalties: stoning, burning, beheading, and strangling. The first three are explicitly specified in the Torah for various sins, and the punishment for murder too is beheading. It is a tradition received from Moses that whenever the Torah does not specify the manner of execution strangling is meant. The courts are commanded to administer these penalties to those who deserve them; and there is a special prohibition against not executing a convicted sorcerer, as it says "You shall not let a sorceress live".8 We are commanded to hang a male idolator or blasphemer after he is executed, but it is forbidden to leave him hanging overnight, as it says "And if there is in a man a sin for which he is sentenced to death you shall hang him on a tree; his carcass shall not stay overnight on the tree... for the cursing of G-d [he] is hung",9 and it says "[And a person that acts highhandedly...] blasphemes Ha-Shem".10 We are commanded to bury executed persons on the day of their execution, as it says "For you shall bury him on that day".9,d

The courts are also commanded to administer corporal punishment to those who deserve it, as it says "[And if the wicked one deserves beating] the judge shall throw him down and beat him in his presence".11 He receives 39 lashes (or fewer, if he is weak) and it is forbidden to add more, as it says "According to his wickedness in number; 40 he shall strike him, he shall not continue".11 Such punishment is given to anyone who violates a negative commandment that does not carry the death penalty unless the violation does not involve an act (except for swearing falsely, blaspheming, and substituting in sacrifices) or has been rectified by a subsequent act; and there is no punishment for violating a commandment in which several things are forbidden in a single negation.e

The courts can punish only on the basis of the explicit testimony of witnesses; they cannot punish on the basis of a confession and they are forbidden to punish on circumstantial evidence, as it says "You shall not kill a clean and righteous person".12 They are forbidden to punish someone who was forced to commit a sin, as it says "You shall do nothing to the girl (who was raped)".13 On the other hand, they are forbidden to have mercy on one who deserves punishment, as it says "Your eye shall not be merciful".14 The courts can administer punishments not specified by the Torah when they deem it necessary to do so.f

http://ohr.edu/519

What is the criterion of "relevance" in matters of Torah study?

This issue arises in our gemara when the Sage Rav is quoted as ruling on a halachic issue concerning what sort of death penalty the Torah stipulates for the married daughter of a kohen guilty of adultery. It is clear from the passage (Vayikra 21:9) that her infidelity is deemed more serious than that of a married daughter of a non-kohen because she "profanes her father" by disgracing his holy status. There is a difference of opinion, however, between Rabbi Simon and the other Sages as to whether the penalty mentioned in that passage also applies to such a woman if she is only an "arusa" betrothed through an act of kiddushin and forbidden to other men but not yet a "nesua" whose marriage is consummated with a Chupa. Ravs ruling in favor of the Sages raised a challenge from Rabbi Yosef as to why we need a ruling for something which will only be relevant in the time of Mashiach when the Sanhedrin will once again be empowered to inflict capital punishment.

Rabbi Yosefs disciple, the Sage Abaye, countered with the argument that it is important to study Torah matters even if they are not relevant today just as we study the laws of Temple sacrifices although they will not be relevant until Mashiachs arrival and the rebuilding of the Beit Hamikdash. But it is the challenge of the master which invited the analysis of the leading commentaries.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 06:40:47 PM »
See also:

http://torah.org/learning/livinglaw/5768/mishpatim.html

Capital Punishment: Courting Death

The Mitzvah

There was an obligation for the court to kill the one whose iniquity was punishable by death (Shemos 21:12; ibid 21:20). In the times of the Temple and in the presence of the Sanhedrin, Grand Jewish Court, the four death penalties prescribed by the Torah for various crimes were death by the sword, death by strangulation, death by fire and death by stoning (See Mishnah, Sanhedrin).

The Beth Din, Jewish court of law was the arbiter of justice. In all matters, it could not shirk from its obligations. That meant, even to use capital punishment.

Still, this was hardly an ideal situation. Rigorous investigations and testimony were in place beforehand. And the death penalty was certainly never glorified. In fact, the Talmud concedes that a Jewish court that executed once in 7 years, and according to another opinion, once in 70 years, was labeled a "murderous court" (Mishnah, Makkos 1:10).

Typically, the court sentence in other societies serves a number of functions. It acts as a deterrent against the crime; it is society's revenge against the criminal for the offence; it is punishment for the offender's infraction; and finally it can be construed as reparations for, or reformation of, the said perpetuator.

It comes as somewhat of a surprise to discover that the Jewish Beth Din does not set out to achieve any of these aforementioned objectives.

A Jew humbly realizes how justice lies outside his grasp. It is up to Master of the Universe to administer justice and to sort out the reward or punishment for his creatures. Thus, not only is man's input not necessary but it is also unhelpful. Here, man is way out of his league. Is it at all possible for a human court to fathom the mind of the criminal? Are they privy to the thoughts of his heart? Do they know his background and frame of mind? What about an absolute clarity of all the circumstances to the crime?

The charter of a Jewish court is primarily instituted to take action – where humanly possible – to remedy the situation when what is holy becomes desecrated, where what is pure becomes sullied. Rabbi Eliyahu Dessler explains how its intervention comes to redress the balance. Think of it as the necessary steps at "damage-control".

Offline BritishSword

• Pro JTFer
    • Lawful Rebellion
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 07:41:32 PM »
Why are we having this discussion now?
I'm British. I'm Sharp.  I'm Deadly.
I am BritishSword

6a55022f0e321cd66b22318630573230965751cf

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 08:18:29 PM »
We won't have the death penalty when The Mashiach comes because there will be no Evil Inclination and therefore no sins requiring execution. The evil people will vanish before all righteous are resurected in Techiyat HaMetim.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 08:24:01 PM »
OK, let me just say this, and I hope we won't have any bickering.

Judaism and Christianity are two different religions.  So for the purpose of this forum, we need to agree to disagree.  Instead we need to focus on exposing Obama, and helping Mitt Romney win this election. 

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 08:33:30 PM »
Sequel:  kosher Mohammed and kosher Islam

I agree that's probably his next step. I've listened to his radio show sometimes and he comes off as very left wing. He may be one of those types who just sees all religions as valid paths to the same God. In which case, he can't be a Christian any more than he could be a devout Jew.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 08:57:41 PM »
We won't have the death penalty when The Mashiach comes because there will be no Evil Inclination and therefore no sins requiring execution. The evil people will vanish before all righteous are resurected in Techiyat HaMetim.

What I meant was in the era before Mashiach comes and the Sanhedrin is established. Without Sanhedrin such rulings are not possible.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 09:00:38 PM »
What I meant was in the era before Mashiach comes and the Sanhedrin is established. Without Sanhedrin such rulings are not possible.

So The Sanhedrin will execute all the criminals who are Chayav Mita before Techiyat HaMetim?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 09:47:16 PM »

So The Sanhedrin will execute all the criminals who are Chayav Mita before Techiyat HaMetim?

I am not sure... There are various understandings which, if I have time later tonight, I will post in the Torah section {if I can find the information}. But it is sure that all sins will be punished {midda keneged midda} so I think that the punishment of death would be necessary to merit Techiyat HaMatim.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 11:44:18 PM »
Ok debate me on these please, because I still think this is right rather than the perspective I took from the rabbinical ruling on the subject (which may be wrong) which is we changed that:

Stoning is a perfectly acceptable punishment for adultery. However, the reason we don't do that I think stems from Jesus when he said "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". It's right to stone, however, since as King David said in Psalms: "I have seen the end of all perfection", in essence we are just as guilty by not being holy and righteous, and created conditions where her sin was greatly influenced by our own, so we can't kill her for sin we very well may have helped create.

I know there's a thing here about not arguing religion, but since I was born into both of them, you really can't offend me. Actually either way. So now, if not Jesus, what made stoning an unacceptable punishment, along with other moral crimes invalidated for punishment?

There was never anything "unacceptable" about stoning.  Capital punishment was one of the powers and responsibilities granted to the Great Court known as the Sanhedrin.  Stoning is just one form of capital punishment.   When the Sanhedrin is disbanded, there is no authority for a random official or a lower court to administer this kind of justice.    In the united states, states have authority to give capital punishment, but the Jewish legal system always functioned differently and only ascribed that kind of power to the highest court because of the weighty nature of that type of decision and how seriously we take life and death  (not to say that Americans don't, just that the situation is different and not the way our legal system functions).   Hope this clarifies it for you.    I don't know where you dreamed up that the existence or non-existence of stoning has anything to do with Jesus.    What's next, you'll read a fortune cookie and then tell me the Chinese invented psychology?    What you read into what Jesus said in your quote didn't even make sense.   

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 11:50:51 PM »
What's next, you'll read a fortune cookie and then tell me the Chinese invented psychology?
:::D :::D :::D :::D :::D

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 02:50:14 PM »
Kahane-Was-Right BT, indeed he was
I don't care about stoning. You go to town with old sparky while hanging a guy and doing it at the same time if that's your punishment for a child rapist murderer. So long as you don't have a guy that's doing the thousand japanese cuts all the time and goes insane and starts killing people, who cares, if he was going to die anyways? I'm saying moral crimes like adultery, it's the position that you can impirosion for a little while depending on the situation for something like prostitution, and the community may think one way or another about you, but it's not a death penalty for moral cimes. That's the point. And it's just my own logic in the first place, and more of a question.

Why can only the Sanhedren do it?
Quite possibly one of the craziest and most hilarious of all posts I've ever seen at JTF.  :laugh:

What is "impirosion"? Is that jailing a pirate and then exposing him to lots of wind and water so that his body disintegrates with the elements?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 03:47:30 PM »
Because HASHEM said that the Jewish Court has the right to punish wrong-doers. The court has a very intricate system of verifying witnesses, interrogating their stories, and making sure that every bit of mercy which can be shown to a criminal has been shown. You obviously don't quite understand how the legal system in Judaism works.... First of all in order for a court to impose punishment the perpetrator needs to have been warned before he committed his act, there must be at least two witnesses that he committed this act, and that the court must find alternative interpretation of events {otherwise if all judges reach a 'guilty' verdict the criminal is found 'not guilty'}.

I have posted about these topics on JTF in the past. But if there is really interest in what has been written about the Jewish legal system as handled by the Sanhedrin, I may just start a topic in the Torah and Judaism section about it.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1269629/jewish/Why-Are-Torah-Punishments-So-Harsh.htm

Question:

I know there is an infinite, loving G‑d. It's just that I can't get my head around a few things in the Torah, like death penalties for gays, wizards, and people who curse their parents. Even if these people have erred, couldn't they just be asked to stop or be punished with exile? That's why it's hard to believe that a G‑d who can make a billion galaxies and stars would want us to kill over different beliefs.

Response:

Before answering your question, it's worthwhile to note just how difficult it actually is to impose the death penalty in Jewish law.

First of all, circumstantial evidence won't cut it. You need two impeccable witnesses who had observed the person transgressing an act punishable by death. Next, these two witnesses had to have warned the person of the capital punishment he could receive for doing the prohibited act, even if he already knew. Finally, the person must have committed the transgression immediately after the warning. Any hesitation and the death penalty is off. The same applies to other forms of punishment.

To meet all of these conditions and incur the death penalty seems more like committing suicide then simply transgressing.

Nevertheless, the questions remains: As long as you are not hurting anyone else, sinning is your own private business. Why should you receive any sort of punishment? To get to the bottom of this, let's fly to the moon.

On December 24, 1968, the crew of Apollo 8 made history as the first astronauts to go into orbit around both sides of the moon and beam back pictures of the lunar landscape. The next day, the Lubavitcher Rebbe, of blessed memory, discussed a lesson to be learned from the event.1

Central Command trains the astronauts how to eat, sleep, dress, and behave in all areas of their life while on board. Deviations, they are told, can mean the waste of billions of dollars. Hearing that such large sums of government money are at stake, the astronauts take every detail of their instructions very seriously.

Moreover, astronaut compliance has nothing to do with how much, if at all, they understand the benefits of the instructions, or the damage caused by not complying. Only the experts on the ground, who spent years researching the issues, know all the specific details. Therefore, the astronauts follow orders without question, even if they don't know the entire reasoning behind everything, because they understand that there are dire consequences for themselves and their team members.

Neither does an astronaut say, "Look, I'm only one of three—which makes me the minority. So if I don't do everything correctly, it's not going to make such a difference." Rather, he knows that any one miscalculation on his part endangers not only himself, but the other two astronauts as well.

Like a flight manual, the Torah guides and instructs us for a safe mission through life. In it, G‑d warns us of the 365 don'ts (the negative commandments) that can derail us and jeopardize our life mission. We don't always know why certain actions are more damaging and dangerous than others, and therefore carry a more severe punishment. But Mission Control does. So we listen.

Moreover, our decisions impact not only ourselves, but our friends, family, community, and the entire world. Actually, the entire idea can be found in a Midrash, composed long before anyone dreamed of space travel:

Moses exclaimed, "One person sins, and You are angry at the entire community?"2

Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai taught a parable for this, of people sitting in a boat. One of them took a drill and began drilling underneath his seat.

"What are you doing?" demanded his friends.

"What concern is it of yours?" he responded. "Am I not drilling under my own seat?"

They said to him: "Yes, but the waters will come up and drown the entire boat."3

The Mishnah states, "Why was the human being created alone? ... To teach you that every person must say: For me the world was created."4 This world, as well as all of the spiritual realms leading to it, was created for each and every person individually. As Maimonides teaches, "A person should always view himself and the entire world as if it is exactly balanced. If he does one mitzvah, he is meritorious, for he has weighed himself and the entire world to the side of merit, and he has caused for himself and for all, salvation and redemption."5

Taking all this into account, let's look back at our situation: We're talking about a very stable, Torah-directed society—evidenced by the fact that there is a Bet Din that has the power to enforce Jewish law. We are talking about a community where people know the difference between right and wrong and only very rarely does someone step out of those boundaries. One person comes along and decides to do something totally outrageous, despite a warning from two witnesses and right in front of them, knowing exactly what he is doing and what will happen to him for doing it. Basically, drilling a hole in a watertight boat for every and any sin to enter.

Truthfully, I doubt that such cases occurred too often. Rabbi Akiva was of the opinion that a court that issues a death sentence once in 70 years is a murderous court. But the message is there: Don't imagine you're an island to yourself. Think twice before sinning. The entire world depends on you.

See also : http://www.jlaw.com/Briefs/capital2.html

http://www.torah.org/learning/halacha-overview/chapter79.html
The courts can punish only on the basis of the explicit testimony of witnesses; they cannot punish on the basis of a confession and they are forbidden to punish on circumstantial evidence, as it says "You shall not kill a clean and righteous person".12 They are forbidden to punish someone who was forced to commit a sin, as it says "You shall do nothing to the girl (who was raped)".13 On the other hand, they are forbidden to have mercy on one who deserves punishment, as it says "Your eye shall not be merciful".14 The courts can administer punishments not specified by the Torah when they deem it necessary to do so.f

We are commanded to judge justly, as it says "You shall judge your friend with justice".15 It is forbidden to commit an injustice, and there are special prohibitions if the person is a proselyte or an orphan, as it says "You shall not do wickedness in judgment",15 and it says "You shall not bend the judgment of a stranger, an orphan".16 When two parties are involved they must be treated equally; it is forbidden to listen to one of them in the absence of the other, as it says "You shall not carry a false rumor".17 It is forbidden to give special consideration to a poor man or a great man or to discriminate against a wicked man, as it says "You shall not lift up the face of a poor man or honor the face of a great man",15 and it says "You shall not honor a poor man in his quarrel",18 and it says "You shall not bend the judgment of your poor man in his quarrel".19 A judge is forbidden to refrain from giving a verdict because he is afraid of retaliation, as it says "You shall not fear any man...".2 It is forbidden to take a bribe even to give a just verdict, as it says "You shall not take a bribe",20 and it says "Cursed be he who takes a bribe".21 A judge is forbidden to give his verdict on the basis of evidence that he knows to be false, as it says "You shall keep far away from a false statement".22,g

It is forbidden to curse any Israelite, and there are special prohibitions against cursing a judge or the king, as it says "You shall not curse a deaf person",23 and it says "You shall not curse judges and a prince of your nation you shall not curse".24,h

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 03:59:02 PM »
Here is the concept I alluded to in my recent answer to this question. If all the judges in the case all unanimously believe the defendant to be guilty, he is strangely found 'Not Guilty'.... Here is an explanation of this...

http://meaningfullife.com/torah/parsha/devarim/shoftim/Unanimous_Verdict.php

Unanimous Verdict
by Chaya Shuchat

The issue of capital punishment excites much heated and vociferous discussion. One aspect of the debate concerns the fallibility of human judges and the element of uncertainty that accompanies their decisions. Can human judges be entrusted with the weighty responsibility of ruling on life and death matters? Another factor is whether capital punishment is right in itself. Does a society have the right to condemn its citizens to death? Does one injustice justify another?

What is the Torah’s position on the death penalty? The Torah is adamant in its views on  the sanctity of life. No one has the right to harm or destroy any aspect of life, even if it affects only the individual himself. The entire Torah may be suspended to preserve a life, indeed, a court that metes out the death penalty once in seventy years is labeled in Torah as a court of “executioners”! Yet, Torah allows for and advocates capital punishment in certain instances. So we have a self-contradictory situation, where the Torah permits the court to put someone to death, but when they do so legally, the Torah declares them ‘executioners’! How does the Torah reconcile its view on the absolute value of human life with its condoning of capital punishment? How does the Torah ensure that the judges will not err and will be true?

In Jewish law, the court’s primary responsibility is to find merit for the accused, and to seek to preserve his life. "The congregation will judge him and the congregation will preserve him”[1]. The process of trying a capital case is overwhelmingly skewed towards the benefit of the defendant. No circumstantial evidence is accepted. The testimony of not one but two eyewitnesses is required, and both are carefully cross-examined for any discrepancies in their accounts. Furthermore, capital punishment is only meted out in a case where deliberate intent can be conclusively proved. Two witnesses must be produced who can testify to having warned the defendant in advance that his action was wrong, and of the consequences of that action.  Another requirement of capital cases is the rule of "halanat hadin,”[2] that a guilty verdict must not be completed in one day, but must be deferred for another day in order to leave more opportunity to find credit.

In Maimonides’ Laws of Sanhedrin[3], the following law is cited: "If a Sanhedrin[4] opens a capital case with a unanimous guilty verdict, he is exempt, until some merit is found to acquit him; then, those who convict will be in the majority, and then he will be put to death."

The source of Maimonides’ ruling is in the Talmud Sanhedrin.[5] The reason given for the exemption is that the court did not fulfill the condition of "halanat hadin", deferring judgment for the next day in order to find merit. Since they have all found him guilty, they will no longer find merit for him.

It is possible to interpret the meaning of the Talmudic passage in one of two ways. One is that the court’s verdict is disqualified, due to the lack of "halanat hadin". Another way of viewing it is that by failing to find even one facet of merit, the Sanhedrin has disqualified itself from judging the case.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 04:17:08 AM »
Very interesting, thanks Muman.

As for Boteach, I am extremely disappointed in him. I don't know what possessed him to reach this point. Other than the Hollywood influence.