Author Topic: Great News!!! Piracy Website Shut Down by Feds!  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Great News!!! Piracy Website Shut Down by Feds!
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2012, 08:21:53 PM »
And I am still stunned that nobody here has condemned software and media piracy. It seems most people are only concerned with what they can get for free. But the truth is that nothing is free, unless the creator deemed it to be for free. I believe some of you would steal cars and food if you could get away with it..

I wouldn't steal cars for any reason I can think of, and I wouldn't steal food unless I was literally starving and then I'd try to find a way to pay the people back after I was in better circumstances.

If I could take a replicator machine and make a copy of the car (leaving the owner with their own original car) then it wouldn't be stealing to drive away with the copy. Also if I could make food from a replicator I wouldn't be stealing the food, because the original food would still be intact and belong to the owner.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2012, 08:59:25 PM »
I'd love to see some of the freeware you've written and applaud you for this. Do you have any links?

Yes, I just found some of the projects when I googled myself...

http://nixbit.com/cat/internet/nttp-%28www%29/getattach.pl/

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=backtrack-3-man/getattach.pl

It seems that some of my other projects have fallen off the radar....

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2012, 09:04:38 PM »
I guess JTF should be taken down, because JTF has videos using CNN clips.

I see you even made videos using clips for various media sources.

Guess you better turn yourself into DHS, and ask them to shut JTF down.

I pointed out the language of SOPA that would lead to this, which DHS is already doing without Congressional authorization.

This is totally not related to the issue of Megaupload. This action had absolutely NO RELATION to issues of SOPA. The investigation has been ongoing for several years. I don't know why you keep making this absurd assertion.

Also there is nothing wrong with posting a link to a site. It is not a violation of anything. The site which hosts the illegal material is responsible for it..

You are aware of existing Federal Law called 'Fair Use'? Everything you mentioned is covered by the Fair Use clause...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Fair use is a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work. In United States copyright law, fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, unlicensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test. The term fair use originated in the United States. A similar principle, fair dealing, exists in some other common law jurisdictions. Civil law jurisdictions have other limitations and exceptions to copyright.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2012, 09:13:33 PM »
I wouldn't steal cars for any reason I can think of, and I wouldn't steal food unless I was literally starving and then I'd try to find a way to pay the people back after I was in better circumstances.

If I could take a replicator machine and make a copy of the car (leaving the owner with their own original car) then it wouldn't be stealing to drive away with the copy. Also if I could make food from a replicator I wouldn't be stealing the food, because the original food would still be intact and belong to the owner.

The point which I am making is simple. While it is difficult to duplicate something which is made of physical components it is not very difficult to copy patterns of binary bits which make up software and audio/video media. But software is just as real as a car or money. Just because it is easier to copy software doesn't make it any less of a crime to steal it.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2012, 09:27:04 PM »
The point which I am making is simple. While it is difficult to duplicate something which is made of physical components it is not very difficult to copy patterns of binary bits which make up software and audio/video media. But software is just as real as a car or money. Just because it is easier to copy software doesn't make it any less of a crime to steal it.

In most cases someone who lawfully bought the software or movie or whatever is making copies and giving them away for free with no profit to themselves. This is not the same as say, bootlegging, where someone makes copies of a movie and sells them for profit which should rightfully go to the movie company or whatever.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2012, 09:29:41 PM »
In most cases someone who lawfully bought the software or movie or whatever is making copies and giving them away for free with no profit to themselves. This is not the same as say, bootlegging, where someone makes copies of a movie and sells them for profit which should rightfully go to the movie company or whatever.

The only legal thing is for a person to make a back-up of legally obtained media. I fully support this right and I fought for it back in the early days of computing {mid 1980s}. I support the right of a person to back-up CDs, DVDs and other software which they legally purchased. But giving copies to friends is a violation of the law. But those who charge money to make copies are boldly in violation of the law.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »
Yes, I just found some of the projects when I googled myself...

It seems that some of my other projects have fallen off the radar....

Good job but where is the authorship noted?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2012, 10:52:42 PM »
Good job but where is the authorship noted?

Developer:      Michael Uman
      more software by author →
Price:     0.00
License:      GPL (GNU General Public License)
File size:      10K
Language:      [English language support]  
Rating:      0 /5 (0 votes)
Your vote:    
enlarge screenshot

Finish implementing GUI frontend for getattach.pl.
    Add more error handling code.
    Integration with evolution and/or other mail clients.
    Automatic module installation.

AUTHOR

Michael A. Uman <[email protected]>

LAST UPDATE

$Date: 2003/10/09 07:44:32 $

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2012, 09:53:31 AM »

Mike, how do **I** benefit from this?
So now that the "artists" get paid their $$billion$$ for producing garbage. How do I benefit from this?
I'm so happy that Dr Dre and Metallica gets their $$billion$$ and I get nothing.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2012, 10:35:32 AM »
The only legal thing is for a person to make a back-up of legally obtained media. I fully support this right and I fought for it back in the early days of computing {mid 1980s}. I support the right of a person to back-up CDs, DVDs and other software which they legally purchased. But giving copies to friends is a violation of the law. But those who charge money to make copies are boldly in violation of the law.

I think the first one (giving them for free) is a technicality which I don't really think is wrong, the second one I would think is wrong because it's profiting off of someone else's content. At least you see that's more "bold" as you put it.

Neighbors in my neighborhood used to let each other borrow movies we owned. I watched them at my house and then returned them to the owner. Sort of like blockbuster but for free. Is that illegal?

Is it a copyright violation to have people over to your house to watch a movie on your home theater as your guests, or is this considered to be a public presenation without a license? Are you considered to be operating an unauthorized movie theater if say, your son or daughter has 10 of his or her friends over to watch a movie together?

Offline ProJewGreekChristian

• Full JTFer
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2012, 01:21:32 AM »
MUMAN you have no idea what you're talking about. "Great news"? Do you know how many billions of dollars are lost by rappers and hollywood by "pirating" sites? Do you know what a kidush Hashem that is? you're clueless.
G-δ βlεss τhε Hεrοic Sεrβs---------G-δ βlεss the Diχiε Soυτh

ALL of Israel belongs to the Jews, G-d's chosen people!

Offline USAReturn2GodNow1776

• Pro JTFer
  • proud christian & kahanist
    • the urban grind
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2012, 01:27:14 AM »
I just don't think it's worth shafting good content creators like muman just to get at the rappers and hollywood degenerates. We need to find other ways to beat them, and we kahanist jews and righteous gentiles will one day...

Offline Maimonides

• Pro JTFer
  • The Greatest Jewish Sage
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2012, 07:36:12 PM »
This is totally not related to the issue of Megaupload. This action had absolutely NO RELATION to issues of SOPA. The investigation has been ongoing for several years. I don't know why you keep making this absurd assertion.

Also there is nothing wrong with posting a link to a site. It is not a violation of anything. The site which hosts the illegal material is responsible for it..

You are aware of existing Federal Law called 'Fair Use'? Everything you mentioned is covered by the Fair Use clause...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

The Federal government wants to shut down websites without giving the owners their day in court.

Now if someone posts a link to pirated material or if someone posts an ENTIRE article that is copyrighted (that is not allowed under Fair Use) should JTF be shut down?

That is what SOPA will allow the federal government to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act#Users_uploading_illegal_content

A paper by the Center for Democracy and Technology claimed that the bill "targets an entire website even if only a small portion hosts or links to some infringing content."[47]

“You must accept the truth from whatever source it comes”- Maimonides

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »
MUMAN you have no idea what you're talking about. "Great news"? Do you know how many billions of dollars are lost by rappers and hollywood by "pirating" sites? Do you know what a kidush Hashem that is? you're clueless.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/151199#.TySz5BBSQYo

PS: Your reasoning makes absolutely no sense. It is not 'rappers' who are hurt by piracy. It are those hard working people who provide the media content to people. If you don't like rap, why would you want to rip off the artist? Theft is theft, no matter what your 'excuse' is...

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:56:28 PM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2012, 09:57:01 PM »
The Federal government wants to shut down websites without giving the owners their day in court.

Now if someone posts a link to pirated material or if someone posts an ENTIRE article that is copyrighted (that is not allowed under Fair Use) should JTF be shut down?

That is what SOPA will allow the federal government to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act#Users_uploading_illegal_content

Once again you are talking about SOPA... Which this has nothing to do with...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2012, 09:58:26 PM »
I just don't think it's worth shafting good content creators like muman just to get at the rappers and hollywood degenerates. We need to find other ways to beat them, and we kahanist jews and righteous gentiles will one day...

Thank you... I don't see this as a strictly 'hollywood' issue. Piracy hurts the small timer much worse than the big corporations.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2012, 01:42:23 AM »
People aren't pirating little-known software applications with legitimate uses.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2012, 02:34:16 AM »
People aren't pirating little-known software applications with legitimate uses.

But they are pirating the software which is used to create CD & DVDs which is another aspect of the business I have worked in. I also worked on application programming many years ago where I supported upgrades of a database application which was pirated.

But I am tired of arguing about this. I am not going to change the minds of anyone here...