Author Topic: A last name question related to religion?  (Read 775 times)

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
A last name question related to religion?
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »
A strange question: I recently met someone with the last name "Jew."  Has anyone ever encountered this and what does this mean if anything?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: A last name question related to religion?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:03:54 AM »
I don't think it means much,but the English Producer Norman Jewison who isn't Jewish said he thinks his ancestors in 1100's might have been Jewish and that's why they have the name
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:31:31 AM »
I don't think it means much,but the English Producer Norman Jewison who isn't Jewish said he thinks his ancestors in 1100's might have been Jewish and that's why they have the name

I always thought he was Jewish lol

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »
 I can trace my lastname back to1500s Hanover area . And there are Jews that came from Germany to the US after world war 2 with the same last name,but I don't know if they are connected. I'm at a dead end!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:04:09 PM by Ephraim »
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 02:17:43 PM »
I haven't heard of such surname. There are Hebrew surnames like Yehudai and I think they are modern names that people who came from Europe took when they came to Israel in the last 4 or 5 generations.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 03:16:26 PM »
In San Francisco a politician of Chinese descent is named Ed Jew...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Jew

Edmund "Ed" Jew (simplified Chinese: 赵悦明; traditional Chinese: 趙悦明; Mandarin Pinyin: Zhào Yuèmíng; Jyutping: ziu6 jyut6 ming4, born 1960 in San Francisco, California) is an incarcerated former Chinese American politician based in San Francisco. He graduated from San Francisco State University with a degree in economics and later earned a masters degree in business administration at Golden Gate University. After spending several years as a businessman managing his family enterprises, he entered politics in 1980s and went on to serve in various community organizations. In 1996, he was the volunteer liaison for then District 4 supervisor Leland Yee. In 2002, Yee successfully ran for a seat in the California Assembly, and Jew ran for Yee's seat on the Board of Supervisors in the 2002 election, but was defeated. When Yee's successor Fiona Ma in 2006 ran for state assembly, Jew again ran for supervisor in District 4, which comprises most of the Sunset District. After winning a highly competitive election decided by instant-runoff voting, he was elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »

Edmund "Ed" Jew (simplified Chinese: 赵悦明; traditional Chinese: 趙悦明; Mandarin Pinyin: Zhào Yuèmíng; Jyutping: ziu6 jyut6 ming4, born 1960 in San Francisco, California) is an incarcerated former Chinese American politician based in San Francisco. He graduated from San Francisco State University with a degree in economics and later earned a masters degree in business administration at Golden Gate University. After spending several years as a businessman managing his family enterprises, he entered politics in 1980s and went on to serve in various community organizations. In 1996, he was the volunteer liaison for then District 4 supervisor Leland Yee. In 2002, Yee successfully ran for a seat in the California Assembly, and Jew ran for Yee's seat on the Board of Supervisors in the 2002 election, but was defeated. When Yee's successor Fiona Ma in 2006 ran for state assembly, Jew again ran for supervisor in District 4, which comprises most of the Sunset District. After winning a highly competitive election decided by instant-runoff voting, he was elected to the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.

Thats actually common with other Chinese names.  When Chinese people come to America with the last name of 'Chang' sometimes have their name recorded as 'Jeng',  Chung as Jung,  So I assume 'Chew' is sometimes heard as 'Jew'.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 09:18:17 PM »
Re: Muman's post.  How weird to read an article: Jew this and Jew that not written by an anti-semite/parasite  :::D

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 09:27:03 PM »
Re: Muman's post.  How weird to read an article: Jew this and Jew that not written by an anti-semite/parasite  :::D
???   What are you talking about?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 09:39:22 PM »
???   What are you talking about?

Can't you see the article that Muman reposted.  Go to wiki and look at how it is written.  What is unclear?

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 09:59:23 PM »

There's no mention of his conspicuous name - where it came from. Probably just sounds like Jew. Like Ju or Jiu.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 10:20:38 PM »

Good point! lol