Author Topic: Off Topic: The Hunger Games  (Read 811 times)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Off Topic: The Hunger Games
« on: March 18, 2012, 02:40:23 PM »
Has anyone read this book?  The movie is due out the 23rd of this month.

I just finished it yesterday.  It's basically about a dystopian future in North America where every year children between the ages of 12 to 16 are randomly picked to fight each other to the death.  These "games" are broadcast for the entire fictitious country of Panem (formerly North America) to see. 

It was just so sick and gross.  And I cant get it out of my head. 

Chaim has said in the past that a Jew is obligated to give up his or her life rather than kill an innocent human being.  (The other two conditions are idolatry and sexual immorality.)  In this book there were no Jews or Christians or people of any religion for that matter. 

For those of you who might have read it, what do you think? 

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
Re: Off Topic: The Hunger Games
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 03:22:02 PM »
I haven't read the books yet, but I intend do. Please, no spoilers.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 03:35:34 PM »
Mishmaat, let me know when you've finished the first book.  I want your opinion. 

Offline BritishSword

• Pro JTFer
    • Lawful Rebellion
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 08:30:31 PM »
Sounds very interesting.

A future that is still possible, i we're not careful.
I'm British. I'm Sharp.  I'm Deadly.
I am BritishSword

6a55022f0e321cd66b22318630573230965751cf

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »
Mishmaat, let me know when you've finished the first book.  I want your opinion.

Okay Lisa.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
Has anyone read this book?  The movie is due out the 23rd of this month.

I just finished it yesterday.  It's basically about a dystopian future in North America where every year children between the ages of 12 to 16 are randomly picked to fight each other to the death.  These "games" are broadcast for the entire fictitious country of Panem (formerly North America) to see. 

It was just so sick and gross.  And I cant get it out of my head. 

Chaim has said in the past that a Jew is obligated to give up his or her life rather than kill an innocent human being.  (The other two conditions are idolatry and sexual immorality.)  In this book there were no Jews or Christians or people of any religion for that matter. 

For those of you who might have read it, what do you think?

The violence can be overwhelming sometimes. Purely savage. But it's just literature though. Fiction.

The only saving grace of this book is the love story which while rather shallow and contrived help to make the book somewhat interesting. If not for the love story the book would be utterly depraved trash.

The vivid description of Peeta's leg wound, the dead tributes that return as muttations, a half canine and half human hybrid, and attack Cato and Peeta, the tracker jackers, and the suicide attempt at the end really grossed me out.

I feel some level of sympathy though for the protagonist of the story, Katniss, and have nothing but contempt for the Capitol. The careless disregard for human life is disgusting.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »
I pretty much agree with you Mishmaat.

But what I didn't understand, since this was the 74th Annual Hunger Games is why no one spoke out or tried to rebel for the previous 73 years before Katniss (with her small gestures).  I realize it's just fiction, but how could any mother stand by and let her child be taken to an almost certain death?  I'm sure many would, and would at least die trying to protect their children.  Or what about those teens who were chosen as tributes?  I find it hard to believe that none of them would say "I'm not going to take an innocent life.   I'd rather die first, or take my own life.  You Capitol people will have to get your entertainment elsewhere." 

Another thing that was sick to me the juxtaposition of Katniss and Peeta's time at the Capitol before the games.  They were taken away on a luxury train, fed with gourmet food.  Their quarters at the Capitol were the ultimate in luxury.  They had stylists that beautified them, and were featured on a talk show as if they were celebrities.  But that all changed when they were thrown into the arena. 

Finally one more thing.  There was no religion anywhere to be found.  No Christian or Jewish people whatsoever. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 03:55:18 PM »
I have no intention of watching this but from the sound of it the plot sounds like a re-telling of the Shwartzenegger film Running Man...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Maimonides

• Pro JTFer
  • The Greatest Jewish Sage
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 09:50:45 PM »

But what I didn't understand, since this was the 74th Annual Hunger Games is why no one spoke out or tried to rebel for the previous 73 years before Katniss (with her small gestures).  I realize it's just fiction, but how could any mother stand by and let her child be taken to an almost certain death?  I'm sure many would, and would at least die trying to protect their children.  Or what about those teens who were chosen as tributes?  I find it hard to believe that none of them would say "I'm not going to take an innocent life.   I'd rather die first, or take my own life.  You Capitol people will have to get your entertainment elsewhere." 

It happens, just look at the Shoah. Jews stood back and let their children be taken from them. When people have been conditioned to do as there told, then they do not even consider resisting any order; no matter how unimaginable it might be.
“You must accept the truth from whatever source it comes”- Maimonides

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 10:28:08 PM »

Another thing that was sick to me the juxtaposition of Katniss and Peeta's time at the Capitol before the games.  They were taken away on a luxury train, fed with gourmet food.  Their quarters at the Capitol were the ultimate in luxury.  They had stylists that beautified them, and were featured on a talk show as if they were celebrities.  But that all changed when they were thrown into the arena. 

Finally one more thing.  There was no religion anywhere to be found.  No Christian or Jewish people whatsoever.

Great points Lisa.

Where was the rebellion against the Capitol? Why were the people complacent with something so inhumane?

The author would have to write a prequel to tell the back story behind the Hunger Games.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 10:16:57 AM »
This was recommended reading, by the language arts teacher for 6th grade, in our school district.  I'm happy that my child wasn't interested in reading it.
I find the whole subject matter disturbing and I think it was meant for a slightly older audience.
The things we 'glamorize' today are just disgusting.
The Hunger Games...just the title is disturbing.
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.