Author Topic: Shalom  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Dan Ben Noah

• Full JTFer
Shalom
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:01:36 PM »
Shalom
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:02:29 PM by Dan Ben Noah »
Jeremiah 16:19 O Lord, Who are my power and my strength and my refuge in the day of trouble, to You nations will come from the ends of the earth and say, "Only lies have our fathers handed down to us, emptiness in which there is nothing of any avail!

Zechariah 8:23 So said the Lord of Hosts: In those days, when ten men of all the languages of the nations shall take hold of the skirt of a Jewish man, saying, "Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you."

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Kosher phone can be dialed on Shabbat
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:16:20 PM »
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/Flash.aspx/235416

The Zomet Institute has unveiled a new telephone which can be dialed on the Sabbath without breaking the Jewish laws of the day of rest. The phone can be dialed without technically connecting thus avoiding Shabbat prohibitions. The Zomet Institute is located in Jerusalem headed by a team of twenty-five rabbis who work with engineers to create Torah friendly solutions for hospitals, the army and other institutions that may need to break Shabbat for emergency reasons

Yes this phone is not intended for general use... Using the phone on Shabbat violates the 'spirit of Shabbat' even if it doesn't violate a Melachot {forbidden labors} of Shabbat...

Of course in a life threatening situation using the Phone is permitted due to the concept of "Pikuach Nefesh"...

But it is great that they are working to reduce the amount of aveirah {transgression} which the IDF commit.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »
Yes this phone is not intended for general use... Using the phone on Shabbat violates the 'spirit of Shabbat' even if it doesn't violate a Melachot {forbidden labors} of Shabbat...

Of course in a life threatening situation using the Phone is permitted due to the concept of "Pikuach Nefesh"...

But it is great that they are working to reduce the amount of aveirah {transgression} which the IDF commit.

Pardon me if I am ignorant to certain facts on the matter, but isn't it only servile work, not using electricity forbidden on sabbath? I don't understand how this counts as servile work. Is this tradition? There's no way electricity could be forbidden in Torah anyways. As I see it, collecting wood is forbidden, but lighting logs already sitting there for some tea isn't (I may be wrong), so if that logic holds, pluging a generator into a manual treadmill is forbidden, but not using the electricity that's already there.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »
Pardon me if I am ignorant to certain facts on the matter, but isn't it only servile work, not using electricity forbidden on sabbath? I don't understand how this counts as servile work. Is this tradition? There's no way electricity could be forbidden in Torah anyways. As I see it, collecting wood is forbidden, but lighting logs already sitting there for some tea isn't (I may be wrong), so if that logic holds, pluging a generator into a manual treadmill is forbidden, but not using the electricity that's already there.

Their was an opinion that felt that way about Yom Tov, but not for Shabbath, but after investogation the vast majority of Poskim see that it is forbidden for both.
 You say their is no way.... Please bring the proof why not. Actually the lighting itself is forbidden. Their are 39 Melachot and lighting is one of them.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 05:58:25 PM »
Oh. Do you have a source for this? I'd love to read it. My sincere thanks and blessing for sharing.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 05:59:50 PM »
You say their is no way....

Just with electricity, I should clarify, for an obvious reason.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 06:26:27 PM »
There are 39 forbidden categories of labor which are forbidden on Shabbat. The sages derive this Halacha from the Parasha we read a week ago concerning the command to build the Mikdash, the Tabernacle... When describing the building of the Tabernacle Hashem says that all work must cease on Shabbat, all work involved with building the Mishkan, which we know involved 39 labors. Thus we learn that the 39 labors which are forbidden on Shabbat are these 39...

Here is a list of them:
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/102032/jewish/The-39-Melachot.htm

Field Work

* Sowing
    * Plowing
    * Reaping
    * Binding Sheaves
    * Threshing
    * Winnowing
    * Selecting
    * Grinding
    * Sifting
    * Kneading
    * Baking

Making Material Curtains

* Shearing Wool
    * Cleaning
    * Combing
    * Dyeing
    * Spinning
    * Stretching the Threads
    * Making Loops
    * Weaving Threads
    * Separating the Threads
    * Tying a Knot
    * Untying a Knot
    * Sewing
    * Tearing

Making Leather Curtains

* Trapping
    * Slaughtering
    * Skinning
    * Salting
    * Tanning
    * Scraping
    * Cutting

Making the Beams of the Mishkan

* Writing
    * Erasing

The Putting up and Taking down of the Mishkan

* Building
    * Breaking Down

The Mishkan's Final Touches

* Extinguishing a Fire
    * Kindling a Fire
    * Striking the Final Hammer Blow
    * Carrying

Work, in the context of Shabbat, does not mean that it is hard to do something, that it involves exerting energy, or whatever. Work on Shabbat is any activity which was involved with building the Mishkan. Thus it is perfectly OK to move a couch or table within your home but it is completely forbidden to pick up a pen and take it outside {violates two halachas one Torah commandment {Carrying} and one Oral law {concerning touching an item which may lead to melachot}}...

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/95907/jewish/The-Shabbat-Laws.htm

Muktzah

Many objects have been designated by our sages as Muktzah--we are forbidden from moving them, in some cases, even for activities permitted on Shabbat. Muktzah may not be moved directly with one's hand or even indirectly with an object (such as sweeping it away with a broom). However, Muktzah may be moved in a very awkward, unusual manner, with other parts of the body, e.g.: with one's teeth or elbow, or by blowing on it.

Some of the categories of Muktzah are:

1. Objects which have no designated use, e.g.: Stones, plants, flowers in a vase, raw food (inedible in its present state, such as beans); an object that has broken and become no longer useful such as a broken bowl, a button that falls off;

2. Valuable objects or those which would be used only for their designated task, for fear of damaging it, e.g.: Expensive items: camera, crystal decoration; Professional tools: scalpel, electric wiring; Important documents: passport, birth certificate;

3. Objects that are forbidden from use because of Torah prohibition, e.g.: Non-kosher food, dishes that have not yet been immersed in a mikvah (toiveled), chametz on Passover; also included are objects used for a mitzvah, such as tefillin, schach (rooftop greenery) that fell off a sukkah;

4. An object whose primary purpose is for an activity forbidden on Shabbat, e.g.: Hammer, stapler, pen. However, one is allowed to move these objects if a)they are needed for an activty permitted on Shabbat and nothing else can perform that task, e.g., a hammer to open a coconut or a telephone book as a booster seat or b) The place the object occupies is needed, e.g., if a pen is on a chair you want to sit on.

Anything that a muktzah object rests upon is a basis--base for the muktzah and becomes muktzah itself if:

A. The muktzah item was left on the spot intentionally, so that it remain there for at least part of Shabbat;

B. The object was placed there by the owner or with the knowledge of the owner;

C. At the start of Shabbat, the basis supported only the muktzah and no non-muktzah items.

An example of basis encountered every Shabbat is the Shabbat candles on the table. The candlesticks are muktzah, and may not be removed from the table on Shabbat. The table holding the candlesticks may thus become a base for muktzah and muktzah itself, preventing it from being moved if necessary. To remedy this, we simply put another non-muktzah item required for Shabbat on the table while setting up the candles. Thus, although the candlesticks are muktzah, the table holds the challah or prayerbook as well and is therefore not muktzah.

Carrying

On Shabbat one may not carry or transfer objects between a "reshut ha-yachid" (private, enclosed domain, such as the house); and a "reshut ha-rabim" (public domain, such as the street). Examples of this prohibition include: carrying in one's pocket; carrying anything in the hand; wheeling a baby carriage or shopping cart, going outside with gum or food in the mouth. This prohibition also includes carrying in public hallways or yards of multiple dwellings, unless an eiruv chatzeirot is made. An eiruv chatzeirot is an arrangement whereby carrying in some of the above situations is permitted. In addition, the area in which one wishes to carry must be enclosed. This enclosure, commonly referred to as an eiruv, can occur naturally or be man-made, and must be constructed before Shabbat.

The Jewish community in some cities or neighborhoods constructs an eiruv which encloses several blocks. The area within the eiruv is then considered a private domain where carrying is permitted. If there is an eiruv, it is important to know its boundaries so as not to carry beyond them, and also to ensure before Shabbat that the eruv is up and not damaged.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 06:33:03 PM »
http://www.torahtots.com/torah/39melachot.htm

Melacha (plural "melachot").

1. Melacha refers to the 39 categories of activity that are forbidden on Shabbat. Melacha, is not "work." At least not the English definition of the word "work." You may not carry a needle out into the street on Shabbat, yet you may drag a heavy sofa across the room. So what Melacha is forbidden on Shabbat?

The 39 categories of activity that are forbidden on Shabbat, are all labors that have something in common - they are creative activities that exercise control over one's environment.

Specifically, the Talmud derives these 39 categories from the fact that the Torah juxtaposes the commandment to cease work on Shabbat in Shmot Parshat Vayakheil, with its detailed instructions on how to build the Mishkan*, and the preparation of its components, as described in Shmot / Exodus 31 and 35.

*[Mishkan - Tabernacle; the portable, temporary version of the Holy Temple that the Jews carried throughout the forty years in the desert into Eretz Yisroel (the land of Israel), until they built the Beit HaMikdash]

This is to teach us, explains the Talmud (Shabbat 49b), which activities constitute melacha: any creative act that was part of the mishkan's construction represents a category of work forbidden on Shabbat. These categories are forbidden by the Torah.

2. Toldot - Work which is different from that done in the Mishkan, but which achieves the same result. These types of melacha are also prohibited by the Torah.

3. Rabbinic Decrees - There are a number of additional activities that are forbidden by the Rabbis. There are several categories of decrees that prohibit:

a. Activities that might lead directly to the violation of a Torah prohibition.

b. Use of items not designated for Shabbat use (muktzah).

c. Activities that might lead one to think that a prohibited activity is permissible (Ma'arit Ayin - The appearance of the eye).

d. Activities that are not appropriate for Shabbat, even though they are technically permissible (Uvda D'Chol - [resembles] weekday activity). The Navi Yeshayahu (Prophet Isaiah (58:13-14) recorded a prohibition against speaking of business and against weekday-oriented activities.

Here is the list of the 39 Melachot (main activities) prohibited on the Shabbat as listed in the Mishna Shabbat 73a:

PS: When I said that the use of a Phone on Shabbat would violate the 'spirit of Shabbat' I meant according to item 3d in the list above...

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »
There are 39 forbidden categories of labor which are forbidden on Shabbat. The sages derive this Halacha from the Parasha we read a week ago concerning the command to build the Mikdash, the Tabernacle... When describing the building of the Tabernacle Hashem says that all work must cease on Shabbat, all work involved with building the Mishkan, which we know involved 39 labors. Thus we learn that the 39 labors which are forbidden on Shabbat are these 39...

Here is a list of them:
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/102032/jewish/The-39-Melachot.htm
Work, in the context of Shabbat, does not mean that it is hard to do something, that it involves exerting energy, or whatever. Work on Shabbat is any activity which was involved with building the Mishkan. Thus it is perfectly OK to move a couch or table within your home but it is completely forbidden to pick up a pen and take it outside {violates two halachas one Torah commandment {Carrying} and one Oral law {concerning touching an item which may lead to melachot}}...

Aww. My sincere thanks, and blessing regardless. As I understand it, I do deserve to die, and am cut off from my people for disobeying this commandement (I'm pretty sure the sinning in ignorace law doesn't count here, and I did hear of it in the first place, but didn't believe the person). How can this be repented of, if possible?

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 06:37:33 PM »
Also, does 3c mean asking goyim to turn off and on your lights for you is inpermissable?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 06:42:52 PM »
Aww. My sincere thanks, and blessing regardless. As I understand it, I do deserve to die, and am cut off from my people for disobeying this commandement (I'm pretty sure the sinning in ignorace law doesn't count here, and I did hear of it in the first place, but didn't believe the person). How can this be repented of, if possible?

We are in a generation which has much transgression. I would not become disheartened because of your Shabbat transgression. I only did Teshuva eight years ago after almost 20 years of being 'Off the derech'. I believe Hashem will forgive our transgressions because the Torah states in the Tochacha/Rebukes that even when we have fallen badly, that if we get up and admit our faults and make changes to perform his Torah with love, that he will return to us.

This forgiveness is especially forthcoming during the High Holidays when we remember how Moshe davened for Hashem to spare the Jewish people who sat by as the Golden Calf was worshipped. Hashem wanted to destroy the entire nation. We learn the 13 attributes of Mercy during the High Holiday services...

I recommend trying to keep Shabbat as best as you can according to the Halacha. It is not easy at first but as time goes on you will feel more comfortable keeping these commandments...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »
Also, does 3c mean asking goyim to turn off and on your lights for you is inpermissable?

I am not sure if that refers to the 'Shabbat Goy'....Regardless it is wrong to ask a non-Jew to perform forbidden work. But it is permissible for the non-Jew to volunteer to do things around the house which are forbidden {so long as we dont ask}. I have had situations where a non-Jew in the house on Shabbat has come in handy {especially when the plumbing went meshugah on one Shabbat}...

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1140867/jewish/The-Myth-of-the-Shabbos-Goy.htm
The basic rule of thumb as far as having a gentile do work for a Jew on Shabbat is that if a Jew may not do it, a non-Jew cannot do it for him. This is true whether or not the Jew specifically asks the non-Jew to do the work or if the non-Jew does it on his own, whether the non-Jew is paid for his efforts or not. There are, however, various exceptions to this rule. Here are some of the variables that may impact the ruling on this matter (the article below will discuss the details):

* If the non-Jew is being paid by the job, rather than by the hour or day.
    * If the Jew is not directly benefiting from the work.
    * If the non-Jew is (also) directly benefiting from the work.
    * If the work is of only forbidden by Rabbinic law.
    * If it is still in the very first minutes of Shabbat.
    * If it's a situation of great need, great financial loss, illness or mitzvah.

Torah or Rabbinic Origin

Regarding having a non-Jew7 work for one on Shabbat, the Mechilta8 says that the source of the prohibition against this can be found in the verse regarding Passover:9 "No work shall be done for you." This means that the work may not even be done by someone else for the sake of a Jew. Most of the commentaries,10 however, understood this verse as an asmachta—that is, a textual support for a Rabbinic decree, not as an actual Biblical injunction.11

The Rabbis felt that if it would be permitted to have non-Jews perform work for one on Shabbat, people would view Shabbat as unimportant, and they would eventually desecrate the Shabbat themselves.12 Therefore, they decreed that when a non-Jew performs work for a Jew on Shabbat, he becomes his agent for that action and it's considered as if the Jew performed the work himself.13

Apparently this article does support your concern that allowing non-Jews to perform forbidden labor for a Jew on Shabbat may lead to a Jew desecrating Shabbat...