Author Topic: Some insight into Jewish mysticism  (Read 2155 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Some insight into Jewish mysticism
« on: April 09, 2012, 08:12:06 PM »
In this thread I will discuss where and why Jewish mysticism is an integral part of the Jewish faith. Of course there are sages who have different opinions, as there were sages in the times of the Talmud who also disagreed {see Hillel and Shammai}... But the fact that there are deeper levels of understanding of the Torah, the Sod/Hidden aspects, is not something debatable. The Talmud discusses the PaRDeS and virtually every sage knows that there are multiple messages beyond the Pshat which we can learn from.

http://www.innernet.org.il/article.php?aid=82

INFORMATION AND GATES OF UNDERSTANDING

The answers to all the philosophical questions was given to Moses by G-d to transmit to the Jewish people. This is what Kabbalah is: the answers to all the unanswerable questions. The questions may only be unanswerable to us on our level. The answers are not "secrets," and they are not "mysteries." They simply exist on a higher intellectual level, which we have to be intellectually prepared to reach.

Maimonidies explains that Talmud is a mind-grinding tool. The entire function of it is to grind, to sharpen, and to develop the mind to be so refined that we will be able to understand the questions and the answers. While we are learning, our intelligence is being shaped, refined, and trained in handling abstractions. It is being led towards the abstract parts of Torah. He writes in the Introduction to the Talmud that the purpose of all learning of Torah is to prepare the intelligence to be able to come close to "hasagas haBorei" (understanding the Creator). Some things are hidden because we are not prepared. They are too fine to be handled with the normal tools of our unprepared intelligence.

It says in the Torah, "Let My lessons pour on you like rain, My sayings like dew; like storms on grass and like drops of liquid." The 15th century Sforno likens this to the different ways in which people learn new information. For those who are great, there is so much information that it pours on them like rain. The average person also receives information, but it is less in quantity, relative to his capacity, and it is pleasant, like dew.

The great man may find information as he is learning that will shock him, shake him. That is like storms on grass. The grass represents the green cover of the earth. The great people see the entire picture, as in one sweep of green grass covering the earth. They are constantly making discoveries which they did not expect and are constantly being shaken up by them.

When we learn Torah, we must know that Torah is a replica of the universe, and its depth is endless. The Talmudic section, Ethics of the Fathers speaks of this and says that "it is not up to you to finish the work." Imagine, for example, a large park with a gate at the entrance. Once you go through the gate, you can go as far as your feet can take you. There is no end. But you go as far as you can.

This is what a "gate of understanding" is. It is an opening, and each and every one can go in. One gate leads to another, and it is endless. They are all different sections of Creation. The levels are infinite, and each person grasps on his own level. All that G-d wants from us is to go, to proceed as far as we can.

INTELLECTUAL LEVELS AND SECRETS OF TORAH

We have to understand what is meant by the expression "secrets of Torah." It is not proven that we cannot have answers to our questions. One thing is proven: The unaided human mind cannot find an answer to many problems and questions of philosophy. The great philosophers have tried for thousands of years, and no one has come up with answers. They have come up with theories, but not clear-cut, definite answers. Thus, by experience, we have to conclude that the human mind cannot find an answer to those questions. But it is not proven that the human mind cannot grasp an answer if it is given. However, that answer has to be given from without, from a higher source. The assumption is that logically, once an answer is given, it can be grasped. If it cannot be grasped, it would be a terribly illogical arrangement. It would mean that I can be tortured with questions for which I cannot get an answer. It would not be fair to be given questions such as these. And we find that the Creator is fair.

We say that those answers were given together with the revelation of Torah. However, not everyone is ready to grasp the answer when it is given to him. Would you teach mathematics in pre-kindergarten? You don't want to keep it a secret from the children. But they are not ready for it.

Every person has two levels of intelligence. There are things he can find out and solve on his own, and there are things which he cannot find out on his own; but if someone comes and gives him the answer, he will understand it. All the areas where a person can find out things himself may be called level A. The level where he can understand the answer, if given to him, may be called level B. Not everybody has the same level of intelligence.

Reuven has a certain level where he can answer questions himself. This is A. But the next level for him is B. Here he cannot answer, but if you will explain it to him, he will grasp it.

Shimon is a little more intelligent. What is B to Reuven is A to Shimon. But what is B to Shimon is entirely off limits to Reuven --he will not understand it even if someone tries to explain it to him. The highest person has an A which may be understandable to the person just under him, if explained, but the highest person's B is off limits to everyone else.

Therefore, when we say there are questions which the human mind cannot answer, we are talking about questions which a very few can understand when they are given the explanations. There always remains something that is beyond B to everyone. That may be the actual essence of the G-d Himself, which Moses asked to have revealed to him, and which he was told was impossible even for him. He was told by G-d, "Nobody can see Me and live."

But the answers to all the other questions were given to Moses and passed on to us. The higher levels are called the "hidden" parts of Torah. But there is no mystery. They are just something of a higher intellectual level that one has to be prepared for by going through the ''brain-grinding" and refining process of learning and observing Torah. They are understood in their fullest and deepest meanings by only the highest level people. Each person is obligated to proceed as far as he can go, even though "It is not up to you to finish the work."
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Some insight into Jewish mysticism
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 08:13:56 PM »
TRANSMISSION AND THE CONVEYER BELT

It is important to understand the mechanism with which we explain things to each other. What we are doing at those times is transferring ideas from mind to mind. A conveyer belt is needed to accomplish this. That conveyer belt is language. If a person never saw a table in his life, I might want to give him an idea of what a table is. First, I myself have to understand that the table is a complex of elements. Does the other person know elements? Does he know shapes? Shape is also an element of a table. Does he know color? Can he figure out how to put things together? Then I tell him, ''Listen, this is of a hard material. The shape is like a rectangular board. But I want the board to be at the level where it is easy for me to use, so I take something and I support it. Then I raise it, and I have it at the level where I can do something with it."

This is the process of translating ideas. You take apart the concept that you have to explain and bring it down to its elements. You give him the elements and you also tell him how to construct it. Therefore, if I explain something to you, there are preconditions that you, as a listener, must possess. You have to be familiar with all the elements that I am discussing, and you have to be able to follow instructions in order to construct something from what I tell you. If my listener is missing one element, he will get a picture, but not a true picture of the table. If he has all the elements but he cannot follow instructions on how to construct it, then he will have the legs of the table on top of it.

Therefore, every teacher must be very careful that the students get the right ideas. Otherwise, the teacher may say something and the student will understand something else. Every teacher has had that experience.

G-d wants us to be knowledgeable people. Therefore, He gave us the Torah, which is a replica of the universe. Along with that, we were given the mitzvah of Talmud Torah--learning Torah. We find that by learning Torah, we learn about the entire universe.

G-d wants us to have that information, but He wants us to have the real picture. Therefore, the Torah warns us not to teach people who are not prepared for that teaching, because if they are not prepared, they will learn something other than what you tell them. Maimonidies makes a statement in his Laws of Torah Study that ''if you have a student who is not ripe to understand you, what you teach him is nonsense, because what you say makes sense, but what he hears is nonsense.

There is a story about two Sages in the Talmud. Each was particularly expert in a different part of Kabbalah--one was a master of maaseh merkavah (the wisdom of the holy Chariot) and the other was a master of maaseh Bereishis (the Creation wisdom). They said, "Let us teach each other. You teach me your wisdom and I'll teach you mine."

The first one taught the other one maaseh Bereishis. Then he said, ''Now it's your turn to teach me." The other answered him by saying, "I cannot teach you. While you were teaching me, I saw your level, and you are not ready for it."

This means that what I can understand, I understand. What I cannot understand, I am better off not touching, because I will only misunderstand it. Misunderstanding is not just a zero. It is a minus. When a teacher is teaching, he should always be checking to see if the student is on the level of the teaching. This limits misunderstanding of the things that the Torah wants us to know.

There is no end to the depth of any created thing. It is only a question of how far you can go. If you take a match apart and you consider all the laws of physics in it, you can make a lifetime study out of one match. Similarly, Torah has no end. But if you are not ready for it, you can burn yourself.

Kabbalah gives you what is beyond the normal limits in the search for truth. But man does not always search for truth. He often looks for convenience. Some people think that Kabbalah is some kind of a ''power" which they can call upon and use. This is often how people look at Jewish mysticism. Their entire concept of mysticism centers around the performance of miracles. They think Kabbalah contains blessings or gimmicks. That kind of mysticism is close to paganism.

Certain academics--known as "experts" on Kabbalah--talk about Kabbalah, but they do not know what they are talking about. They have their own imagination of something, and they are teaching it as 'truth."

Often they think of Jewish Kabbalists as people who found "the key"--a good thing--and these Kabbalists keep it for themselves, not giving it to anyone else.

There are some things that are forbidden to be taught to three students at a time. But the "experts" misunderstand the reason for it. The reason is as follows: If one of the students misses a word, he may ask another one, "What did the rabbi say?" In the meantime, while those two are conversing, the rabbi is continuing with his teaching because there is a third person to listen. Then the first two will miss something. However, if just two people are being taught, it is impossible that the rabbi will continue teaching. If they are talking with each other, he will stop.

It is forbidden to learn maaseh Bereishis even with two students. If one teaches two students, he adjusts the teaching to an average between the two. Therefore, neither one can get the maximum. And maaseh Bereishis needs so much precision that you cannot trust your explanation unless it is directed to just one student.

Maaseh merkavah is so deep that it is not trusted to be handed over to even one person. It is forbidden to teach it to even a single person, unless he is a chacham (wise) and understands himself; then the rabbi may guide him to discover more for himself. Chacham refers to one who knows the whole Torah, in quantity. This means that he has learned and understands the entire Mishnah component of the Talmud, which is a compressed miniature of the whole Torah. This is quantity, but not depth, because in depth there is no end.

THE HIDDEN ART OF TORAH

We live in a period of great scientific discovery. Many people are finding out about the wonders of Creation. But instead of coming to be in awe of the Creator, they go in the opposite direction. Therefore, to learn the marvels of Creation, it is safer for us to learn it through a page of Talmud. There we also see the wondrous beauty of the Creation--in a depth without end.

There is a concept of mechuseh, something which is covered up and nistar, something which is completely hidden. If I put an object in my coat, with the bulge visible, that's called mechuseh. You do not see what I carry, but you see that I carry something. The Books of the Prophets are in the category of mechuseh. Sometimes there are very difficult sections there that absolutely require investigation and interpretation in order to be understood on any level. One knows there is something being said other than the simple, surface meaning. That's not nistar--hidden.

In the Torah, the five books of Moses, which is in the category of nistar, the art is so great that you don't even notice that there is something under the surface. The twelfth century Rashi, in his commentary on the Torah, points out for us the places where we need to investigate further. He has put together in the Torah all the elements which he felt a Jewish person needs. But there are difficult parts in Rashi also, which bear further investigation:

... In the beginning of Genesis it says, "Let there be a firmament in the middle of the waters." Rashi says that the firmament is exactly in the center between the lower waters and the upper waters. The twelfth century Nachmonidies writes that what Rashi is saying here is one of the most hidden statements of the Torah; he says, "Do not expect me to explain it, because even those who know should not explain it; and even more so, myself."

Now why did Rashi write this if it is so deep that it cannot be understood?

Let us give an analogy to explain this. Torah is compared to bread. The Midrash says that Moses did not eat bread or drink water for forty days. The Midrash then asks, ''What did he live on?" And the answer is, "On Torah. From the light of the Shechinah, (the Divine Presence)," and then it says that the angels also exist on the light of the Divine Presence.

Moses, during the time he was being given Torah, received his sustenance from Torah, which is the bread of the soul and the food of the personality.

When you eat bread, the first thing you do is chew it. When you chew it, you enjoy it. We say that G-d is tov u'meitiv--He is good and He gives goodness. This means: He is good--He gives us food; and He gives goodness--He enables us to enjoy it. But this enjoyment is not the function of the bread. The function is nourishment, and it is not nourishing until it is swallowed.

It is the same with Torah. When I am learning, that which I understand is like the taste which brings me a feeling of great satisfaction and enjoyment. But there is more: When the bread--the Torah--goes into the system, it nourishes; it goes in with an entire depth, the entire power and strength of Torah, much more than I consciously know, just like food which is digested automatically and nourishes the body even though I am unaware of it.

There are times when a person needs a food, but it is too hard to chew. So it is put in a pill, like vitamins. It is swallowed, and then one has the needed element without having to taste or chew it. When Rashi put together all the elements we need in learning Torah, there were parts which he knew we could not understand. When Nachmonidies talks about that part in Genesis which we cannot understand, he is saying, "It's a vitamin pill. Swallow it. You need it, and you'll get what you need. But don't try to understand it --you'll break your teeth!"

Whether we realize it or not, Torah is full of tremendous force and brings great inspiration.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:03:39 AM »
  Greatly enjoyed this post! Thank you Muman! :)
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:32:35 PM »
http://www.inner.org/kabbalah/beginner/whatis01.htm

FAQ about Kabbalah and Chassidut: What is the inner dimension of the Torah?

The inner dimension of the Torah is Kabbalah and Chassidut. Kabbalah is the mystical tradition of the Jewish People. It dates as far back as Abraham (almost four thousand years), although it has gone through many stages of revelation since that time.

The accumulated insights of Kabbalah provide access to the inner dimension of reality and thereby to the experience of God in this world. Simply put, Kabbalah is the study of God, the Creator. The students of Kabbalah desire to know God in order to emulate Him and thus come close to Him.

To come close to God, the Creator of the universe, students of Kabbalah seek to intellectually comprehend what might be termed the "physics of creation." The focus of Kabbalah is never the acquisition of wisdom in and of itself. Wisdom is only a tool, a bridge to connect us to our Creator through comprehension of the creative process, which is ongoing, dynamic, and constantly responsive to the feedback from creation.

Ancient Revelation

The first person who devoted his life to discover and come close to God, and bring others close to God, was Abraham. Due to his great self-sacrifice, many deep secrets of creation were revealed to him, allowing him to experience what he desired most--a closeness and sense of oneness with his Creator. The very first classic text of Kabbalah, Sefer Yetzirah, "The Book of Formation," is attributed to Abraham.

This basic text of Kabbalah outlines the thirty-two paths of wisdom that function in the creative process. The thirty-two paths are comprised of:

The ten sefirot--the ten emanations of Divine light, which energize the creative process and define its parameters.

The twenty-two letters of the Hebrew alphabet--the building blocks of creation and the channels through which Divine consciousness flows into creation.

Abraham passed this wisdom on to his son, Isaac, who passed it on to his son, Jacob, who in turn transmitted it to his twelve sons, the progenitors of the Twelve Tribes of Israel. Seven generations after Abraham, the Israelites merited to encounter God at Mt. Sinai and to receive the Torah. The Torah contains not only instructions for living life according to God's will, but also, concealed within it, God's blueprint for creation.

Two Aspects of Torah

Indeed, the Torah has two aspects--"the revealed" and "the concealed" or the "body" and the "soul."

The "body" of the Torah is comprised of laws of behavior. These laws express the will of God for our ultimate and absolute good in this world and the World to Come. In Hebrew, this aspect of the Torah is called gufei Torah, "the body of the Torah," or nigleh, " the revealed dimension [of the Torah]."

The "soul" of the Torah--or Kabbalah--is comprised of the secrets relating to God the Creator, the creative process, and God's Providence over creation. These secrets possess many dimensions of mysteries and mysteries within mysteries. In Hebrew, this aspect of the Torah is also called sitrei Torah, "the secrets of the Torah," or nistar, "the concealed dimension [of the Torah]."

God gives us the understanding of both dimensions of the Torah because He desires that we become partners with Him in the process of creation, so that we may be worthy to receive the ultimate reward of becoming one with Him. We do so when we freely choose to align our will with His will. To align our will with God's means living by the commandments of the Torah, delving into its mysteries, and devoting our lives, like Abraham, to bring into the world's consciousness transcendent and infinite light--light which appeared at the outset of creation but which subsequently became hidden from human eyes.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:34:29 PM »
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/jewfaq/kabbalah.htm

Mysticism in Judaism

When non-Jews ask about Judaism, they commonly ask questions like:  Do you believe in heaven and hell?  In angels or the devil?  What happens to the soul after death?  What is the nature of God and the universe?  The answers to questions like these define most religions; in fact, some people say that the purpose of religion is to answer these kinds of questions.  Yet from a Torah viewpoint, most of these cosmological issues are wide open to personal opinion.  The areas of Jewish thought that most extensively discuss these issues, Kabbalah and Jewish mysticism, were traditionally not even taught to people until the age of 40, when they had completed their education in Written Torah and Oral Torah (in other words, in Bible and practical Law).

Mysticism and mystical experiences have been a part of Judaism since the earliest days.  The Bible contains many stories of mystical experiences, from visitations by angels to prophetic dreams and visions.  The Talmud considers the existence of the soul and when it becomes attached to the body.  Jewish tradition tells that the souls of all Jews were in existence at the time of the Giving of the Torah and were present at the time and agreed to the Covenant.  There are many stories of places similar to the Gentiles' heaven and hell.  The Talmud contains vague hints of a mystical school of thought that was taught only to the most advanced students and was not committed to writing.  There are several references in ancient sources to ma'aseh bereishit (the work of creation) and ma'aseh merkavah (the work of the chariot [of Ezekiel's vision]), the two primary subjects of mystical thought at the time.

In the middle ages, many of these mystical teachings were committed to writing in books like the Zohar.  Many of these writings were asserted to be secret ancient writings or compilations of secret ancient writings, and some probably are.  It is important to remember, however, that such secret writings that are not the results of public debate in authorative rabbinical courts must never be understood (actually misunderstood) as contradicting the laws that were openly discussed and properly enacted.  All too many Jews as a practial matter have rejected the law and have prefered to practice their misunderstandings of Kabbalistic books or their rabbis' misunderstandings of them.  This is simply inexcusable:  The proper subject for such writings is why we do what we do when we observe the Torah, not what we need to do to observe the Torah.

Like most subjects of Jewish belief, the area of mysticism is wide open to personal interpretation.  Some traditional Jews take mysticism very seriously.  Mysticism is an integral part of Chasidic Judaism, for example, and passages from kabbalistic sources are routinely included in traditional prayer books.  Other traditional Jews take mysticism with a grain of salt.  One prominent Orthodox Jew, when introducing a speaker on the subject of Jewish mysticism, said basically, "it's nonsense, but it's Jewish nonsense, and the study of anything Jewish, even nonsense, is worthwhile".  While we do not say that Kabbalah is nonsense, many things said in its name are clearly nonsense.

The mystical school of thought came to be known as Kabbalah, from the Hebrew root Qof-Bet-Lamed, meaning to receive, to accept.  The word is usually translated as "tradition".  In Hebrew, the word does not have any of the dark, sinister, evil connotations that it has developed in English.  For example, the English word "cabal" (a secret group of conspirators) is derived from the Hebrew word Kabbalah, but neither the Hebrew word nor the mystical doctrines have any evil implications to Jews.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 02:15:33 AM »
This video describes a lot of the concepts involved with Jewish Mysticism...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 02:25:48 AM »
Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan was such a great teacher. I have many of his books on my bookshelf...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:37:53 AM by muman613 »

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 12:26:57 AM »
  Would love to hear more Muman!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 12:30:36 AM »
I enjoy reading Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan's books. He deals with many basic "foundation" issues facing Jews in our generation.