Author Topic: Which Historical Pharoah was the Pharoah of the Exodus?  (Read 770 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
Which Historical Pharoah was the Pharoah of the Exodus?
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:14:49 AM »
There seems to be a lot of debate about which particular Pharoah was the Pharoah of the Exodus.
If someone knows of convincing evidence, to prove who was Pharoah, please share your proofs.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Which Historical Pharoah was the Pharoah of the Exodus?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:37:48 AM »
When I used to hang out in a majority atheist chat they used to say that there was no evidence of any correlation between a historical Pharoah and the events described in the Bible but in my opinion even if that were true that doesn't rule it out. It just means it might be difficult to pin down exactly which Pharoah it was.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 07:45:01 AM »
These are the 2 peace now silverstein pharohs thought to be                    Horemheb (1319-1292 BC): Ahmed Osman surmised that he was the Pharaoh of the Oppression.[citation needed]
Ramesses I (c.1292-1290 BC): Surmised by Ahmed Osman to be the Pharaoh of the Exodus.
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ithaca-37

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 07:57:27 AM »
Serious Bible-believing Christian theologians debate this question.  It's not entirely clear-cut;  most theologians that I've heard suggest that it was not Ramses II (sorry, Cecil B. DeMille).

There is a fascinating bit of hard history that supports the accuracy of Scripture.  Remember that Joseph (Mr. Coat of Many Colors) and Jacob, et al, were welcomed into Egypt by the Pharoah.  Near the beginning of Exodus, there's a remark something about 'other Pharoahs who knew not Joseph' enslaving the Hebrews.  (I'm going from memory here, so excuse me if I'm off a bit on wording.)  Egyptologists have found that there was indeed a take-over in Egypt, in which a 'tribe' of outsiders threw out the longstanding line of Pharoahs and usurped the throne, establishing a new line of Pharoahs.  The timing of that takeover is almost a perfect fit for the period between Joseph and Moses.  Thus, there were indeed 'new Pharoahs who knew not Joseph'.

Again my words may be off a bit about Exodus, going from memory .... check it out for yourself.

The Bible is in fact a remarkably tight book vs archeology.

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 01:59:47 AM »
For those that understand Hebrew, the following is a link to Rabbi Zamir Cohen's lecture on fitting the archaeological record into the story of the Exodus from Egypt.
http://62.219.7.103/Zamir/archeology.mp3
The lecture is also on video at
http://www.hidabroot.org/MediaDetail.asp?MediaID=9672
If someone knows of either an english translation of the lecture or has a comment, for or against his views, please post.