Author Topic: Space:1999 Moon Blown out of orbit on Tzom Gedaliah 1999  (Read 995 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Space:1999 Moon Blown out of orbit on Tzom Gedaliah 1999
« on: June 12, 2012, 08:14:17 PM »
I recently have gotten into watching old 1960-1970 television series on YouTube. I have watched most old Get Smart, Mission Impossible, and now I am getting into old episodes of the short-lived sci-fi show Space 1999.

The show is based on the premise that a colony established on the moon (Moonbase Alpha) becomes trapped when as a result of a nuclear accident the moon is broken from Earths orbit.

According to the show the date this occurred was on September 13, 1999.... I looked this up on Hebcal (an online Jewish calendar) and the date happens to be the date of the FAST OF GEDALIAH which occurs after the 2nd day of Rosh Hashanah...

http://www.hebcal.com/hebcal/?year=1999&month=9&yt=G&v=1&nh=on&nx=on&mf=on&ss=on&i=off&lg=s&vis=on&c=off&geo=zip&zip=&m=72&.cgifields=nx&.cgifields=nh&.cgifields=mf&.cgifields=ss&.s=Preview+Calendar
http://www.hebcal.com/holidays/tzom-gedaliah

Maybe it was just a coincidence, or maybe the date was to send a message.. Two of the main cast members (Martin Landau & Barbara Bain) were Jewish...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_1999

Space: 1999 is a British science-fiction television series that ran for two seasons and originally aired from 1975 to 1977.[1] In the opening episode, nuclear waste from Earth stored on the Moon's far side explodes in a catastrophic accident on 13 September 1999, knocking the Moon out of orbit and sending it and the 311 inhabitants of Moonbase Alpha hurtling uncontrollably into space. The series was the last production by the partnership of Gerry and Sylvia Anderson and was the most expensive series ever produced for television up to that time.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Space:1999 Moon Blown out of orbit on Tzom Gedaliah 1999
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 03:11:10 AM »
They could not include the invasion on Serbia and invention of modern mobile phones by 1999. So whatever was their message, it perhaps could not be fulfilled.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 04:09:58 AM »
They could not include the invasion on Serbia and invention of modern mobile phones by 1999. So whatever was their message, it perhaps could not be fulfilled.

Indeed, as it was created in the 70s. But that is what makes watching it all the more interesting. I also enjoy the old Mission Impossible series for the old actors, the old technology, and the old cars... It is sad I am calling them old because I was a kid when they made those shows...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »
Muman I thought you didn't watch tv
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:55:08 AM »
The moon is already receding from earth and if G-d doesn't intervene before then the moon will eventually move further and further away. This will take a very long time though so no need to panic.

I haven't seen that show but some of the older shows are the better ones. There's less profanity in them and fewer vulgar things usually.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 05:29:46 PM »
Muman I thought you didn't watch tv

Shalom Dan,

I actually don't watch 'TV' and haven't watched any new programs since 2003.. I do occasionally seek out on YouTube old shows which I liked when I was a kid. As I explained above I like the old Mission Impossibles, Get Smarts, Star Treks, and I have been watching these Space 1999 episodes recently.

I find these shows to be thought provoking {in a good way} and they represent the best era of Television programming.