Author Topic: Shalom  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Dan Ben Noah

• Full JTFer
Shalom
« on: June 12, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »
Shalom
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 02:46:59 PM by Dan Ben Noah »
Jeremiah 16:19 O Lord, Who are my power and my strength and my refuge in the day of trouble, to You nations will come from the ends of the earth and say, "Only lies have our fathers handed down to us, emptiness in which there is nothing of any avail!

Zechariah 8:23 So said the Lord of Hosts: In those days, when ten men of all the languages of the nations shall take hold of the skirt of a Jewish man, saying, "Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you."

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Request clarification on Jewish head coverings
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 06:51:52 PM »
I have been trying to trace the requirement of Jews to have their head covered at all times in the Mishneh Torah.  In the laws of prayer, it says Jews must have their head covered while they pray.  In the laws of personal development, it says that a sage should always have his head covered.  But I'm not finding a requirement for regular Jews to always have their head covered.  This requirement seems to have come later in Jewish history.  The Shulchan Aruch does require it.  Does anyone know if Rambam required all Jews to have a head covering, such as a kipa, at all times?

I believe it developed as a Midat Hassidut, but it is required today by all since it is the custom of the world.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »
I found this answer to this question:

http://ohr.edu/ask/ask221.htm

Gabor Borbely from Las Vegas, Nevada wrote:

Dear Rabbi,
Can you please tell me shortly about the minhag (custom) of covering our heads. I mean rulings, sources, etc?

Tamar Tessler from Johannesburg, SA wrote:

Dear Rabbi,
Where in any sefer (book) are there halachot (laws) about kippot/yarmulkes? How do we know which size is considered kosher? Material? Are there any halachot regarding the positioning of the yarmulke on the head? I know this could be a touchy question (political correctness!) Thank you for answering.

Dear Gabor Borbely and Tamar Tessler,

The Talmud says "cover [the child's] head so that he will have the fear of heaven." The Talmud also associates a covered head with humility.

In "Guide for the Perplexed," Maimonides states that the early Sages were repelled by a bare head. The custom to wear a head covering is legislated in Shulchan Aruch.

The color and material depend on custom. Some prefer multi-colored versions, some prefer black. The Chatam Sofer in his responsa says kippot may be crocheted or woven even if hair sticks through. Regarding size, there are differing views. Rabbi Ovadiah Yosef, shlita, requires that the kippa be big enough to be seen from all sides, but other authorities, including Rabbi Moshe Feinstien, zatzal, disagree and say that there is no size specification. I am not familiar with any source regarding where exactly to position the kippa.

Which reminds me of a story: Once on a very windy day, a rabbi was walking along, when a strong gust of wind blew his hat off his head. The rabbi ran after his hat, but the wind was too strong and it kept blowing his hat further and further away. A non-Jewish young man, seeing what had happened ran after the hat, caught it and gave it back to the rabbi. The rabbi was so grateful that he gave the young man twenty dollars and blessed him.

The young man was so excited that he decided to go the race track and with the rabbi's blessing fresh in his mind decided to check the program and place the entire twenty dollars on a horse. After the races he went home and recounted his very exciting day to his father. "I arrived at the fifth race and looked at the program. I saw this horse named 'Top Hat' was running. The odds on this horse were 100 to 1 but since I received the rabbi's blessing I bet the entire twenty dollars on 'Top Hat' and guess what? He won! In the next race, there was a horse named 'Stetson' at 30 to 1 so I bet the entire amount of my winnings on him, and guess what ... I won again!"

"So did you bring the money home?" asked his father.

"No," said the son, "I lost it all on the next race. There was a horse named 'Chateau' that was a heavy favorite so I bet everything on him, and since that meant 'hat' in French I figured he was a sure thing."

"You fool!" said the father. "Hat in French is 'chapeau' not 'chateau!' But who won the race?"

"A real long shot," said the son. "A Japanese horse named Yamaka..."

Sources:

Tractate Shabbat 196b
Tractate Kiddushin 31a
Shulchan Aruch Orach Chaim 2:6
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:22:30 PM »
http://www.aish.com/jl/m/pb/48949686.html

It is perhaps the most instantly identifiable mark of a Jew. When and why do we wear a kippah?

It is perhaps the most instantly identifiable mark of a Jew.

In the Western world, it is customary to remove one's head covering when meeting an important person. In Judaism, putting on a head covering is a sign of respect.

The uniqueness of a Jewish head covering is hinted at in the blessing we say every morning, thanking God for "crowning Israel with splendor" (Talmud - Brachot 60b)

The Talmud says that the purpose of wearing a kippah is to remind us of God, who is the Higher Authority "above us" (Kiddushin 31a). External actions create internal awareness; wearing a symbolic, tangible "something above us" reinforces that idea that God is always watching. The kippah is a means to draw out one's inner sense of respect for God.

It's easy to remember God while at the synagogue or around the Shabbat table. But Jewish consciousness is meant to pervade all aspects of our lives ― how we treat others, how we conduct business, and how we look at the world.

Appropriately, the Yiddish word for head covering, "yarmulke," comes from the Aramaic, yira malka, which means "awe of the King."

In Hebrew, the head covering is called "kippah" ― literally "dome."

When To Wear A Kippah?

From a biblical standpoint, only the Kohanim serving in the Temple were required to cover their heads (see Exodus 28:4). Yet for many centuries, the obligatory custom has been for Jewish men to wear a kippah all the time, as the Code of Jewish Law says, "It is forbidden to walk four cubits without a head covering."

Does a kippah have to be worn while playing sports? This issue came to the fore recently with the publicity surrounding Tamir Goodman, the basketball sensation who is an observant Jew.

The answer is that it is preferable to wear even a small kippah, pinned to the hair. (Velcro works great!) If it is impossible because of the game conditions or rules, it is okay to play without a kippah.

When bathing or swimming, one does not wear a kippah.

Certainly, a head covering is obligatory while engaged in prayer and Torah study.

What kind of head covering qualifies? Basically anything ― including a baseball cap or a scarf tied around one's head. Of course, in the synagogue, it is more respectful to use a regular kippah.

How large must a kippah be? Rabbi Moshe Feinstein states that the minimum measure is that "which would be called a head covering." Rabbi Ovadiah Yosef says the kippah should be large enough to be seen from all sides.

The style of kippah worn can reflect an interesting sociological phenomena, often denoting a person's group affiliation. For example, yeshivah-style Jews wear a black velvet kippah. Modern Orthodox Jews often wear a knitted, colored kippah. Many Chassidic Jews wear a fur hat (shtreimel) on Shabbat and holidays.

Additionally, many also wear a hat when they pray to increase awareness of the Almighty as they stand before Him. (Mishne Brura 183:11)
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:41:52 PM »
If this custom of the Sages has been adopted by all, then are the other customs of the Sages supposed to be adopted by all as well?  And if not, how do we distinguish?  For example, Sages were required to have their head covered as well as have their clothing come down to their fingers and heels.  So therefore everyone who wears a kipa should also only wear long sleeves and long pants.

Not necessarily. We clearly see that in almost (of not all by now) places in the world where their are Religious Jews, Jewish Torah Observant men wear kippot. It is an adopted custome of one's actually all of communities of Klal Yisrael, therefore a G-D fearing Jew should wear a kippa. Besides it is also a form of a uniform as well stating that one belongs to this type of group (Jews) and is observing G-D's Mitzwoth (Today this even goes farther with which type of Kippa one wears, but maybe that's for a different time to discuss).
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:28:20 PM »
I have been trying to trace the requirement of Jews to have their head covered at all times in the Mishneh Torah.  In the laws of prayer, it says Jews must have their head covered while they pray.  In the laws of personal development, it says that a sage should always have his head covered.  But I'm not finding a requirement for regular Jews to always have their head covered.  This requirement seems to have come later in Jewish history.  The Shulchan Aruch does require it.  Does anyone know if Rambam required all Jews to have a head covering, such as a kipa, at all times?

It's not that it "came later" - You're not seeing it in halachic codes because it is not required halachically.   It is customary attire for Jewish men (a head covering, that is), and I believe it goes back to Talmudic times, certainly to rishonic period!   Not everything we do is required, some things are cultural.   This one became pervasive.  And we do so with the idea that we are humble before God by covering our head.

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 02:40:35 AM »
Rare photo of Rabbi Yihhye Ibn Shlomoh El Qafahh ZS'L

He was the head of the Yemenite group that follows Rambam. You see his head is covered in the picture.
But maybe you might suggest, that this is no proof for what the simple Jew is required to do according to Rambam.
If that's the case, why not ask someone in that community?
This is not such a scholarly answer, but from the pictures I've seen of religious Yemenite Jews, it seems they all wear head coverings.